Hi-Plains Sunflower Co - Denver, Colorado BEWARE BAD COMPANY

truckguy420

I went to work for a company in Denver, Colorado named Hi-Plains Sunflower Co. The company hauls sunflower seeds to Fresno, CA on a regular basis. Anyway, the stop in California required you to work at the plant loading and unloading all the empty trailers that drivers would drop in the yard. Sometimes 4-5 trailers. These were dry vans but had to be unloaded with a crane lift as the seeds were pumped in by bulk through a top hatch. These were all Maxed-Out weights that were almost always over-weight unless you coasted into town on fumes. Driving through California was a night mare with these loads and the California DOT had our number. Anyway, the company has drivers staying down at the seed plant unloading trailers and hooking up to this crane lift for 12-24 hours sometimes as each load had to be dumped out and took 4-5 hours to finish. He had us working as yard jockeys and as un-loaders, sometimes spending the night and working the next day and paid absolutely zero for this. They required that all this time spent working at the plant be "Off The Books" so that the driver could leave and go pick up another load and haul it DIRECTLY back to Denver, Co, regardless of sleep. We had a few drivers get "falsification of log books" tickets while I was there. The company had a crew of about half decent employees and half whiners who refused to do anything except drive and sit. Ultimately, the decent employees stayed in California and the whiners went home to their families. Very bad situation for anyone working for this company. Log book ALWAYS had to be forged to get back home legally and believe me, there were always threats when employees complained about not wanting to forge the books. I called the company up once an told them i'd need to take my required break before I started driving again and their response was "You like getting paid, don't you." Anyway, steer far clear of this company, they are crooks and your driving record will surely suffer....

patriciajnsn

Steering Wheel Holder
No doubt about it,i'd turn them in so fast they would'nt know what hit em simply because i'm working at the plant for free.Do you realize how much money they're making off free labor and the drivers are helping them run an illegal outfit. I do'nt know how any drivers can do that and think it's ok.I mean times are tough now,why would anyone wanna work for free.But I have a question,why do you call the whiners the ones that went home and the decent employees the ones that stayed.I don't know I just have a major issue with companies that want you to not log something or fix it so it looks legal and companies pay crapola and bad equipment.All they care about is making them money and risking your CDL,your sleep and your safety.My company does it all the time as to why their safety rating is 100% and why I need to get out of there SOON.I have had it.

truckguy420

In response to your comment, I should have worded that differently about working for FREE. I didn't mean the guys were "whiners" because they wouldn't work for free, the company had some types that refused certain routes,refused to drive in snow,refused to do A LOT of things that made it extremely hard on the decent guys and their families that we had there. It was just a real shady outfit.

TruckingBiker

IF YOU DON'T RIDE, THEN YOU DON'T KNOW!
We used to work for LandSpan. I had one fleet mgr tell me "I'll do it if I want to keep my job!" I laughed and told her I could have another job in five minutes. I then got a call from the terminal mgr asking would I please do it and promised it wouldn't happen again. LandSpan is a team company STAY AWAY!

TruckingBiker

Racer X 69

If a driver allows a company to "force" them into violating the law then the company will continue to get away with it.

I have listened to drivers for many years tell a similar story, and say "Well, I gotta work."

The bottom line is these companies will continue to get away with this as long as there are employees who are willing to lay down and let themselves be whipped. No company will ever be able to compel me to break the law. There are plenty of jobs working for employers who treat their workers like human beings, and not like machines or slaves.

truckguy420

No, you are right. It's absolutely up to the driver to leave a company that operates this way or they do get away with it. This outfit has been operating this way for a LONG time so not much I could have done except quit and make sure the word got out. I am mainly posting because I know they were taking advantage of the fact that jobs are very hard to find and they knew that, as they eluded once and told me "I was lucky to be working right now......"

j911brick

No, you are right. It's absolutely up to the driver to leave a company that operates this way or they do get away with it. This outfit has been operating this way for a LONG time so not much I could have done except quit and make sure the word got out. I am mainly posting because I know they were taking advantage of the fact that jobs are very hard to find and they knew that, as they eluded once and told me "I was lucky to be working right now......"
There are still tons of honest jobs in trucking and you could have a new job in 5 minutes. I would never tolerate that kind of crap from a company - any company. I would also think about suing the company.

I don't know how a company like this can even survive in the current CSA environment.

TRUCK4670

Not an unusual incident with this company. I did 4700 miles for them in 6 days. To minot/graham/denver/fresno(seed terminal)stockton,denver and the load had to be there
10 hours before I could get there. I do not work for them after that. Same story, you like to eat don't you?! An no, even with a clean record,to accidents,speeding tickets or dui's, and a clean PSP, working for guys like these, who did pay me, and a bunch of others who did not.... I can not be hired because I have not worked solid jobs due to dips like these.... the insurance industry and the guys like above have agreed to keep whomever they dislike and don't fit the profile...OUT! Big Brother FMCSA and Big buisness are in it together.

John Deyne

I've been working here over a year now. I love the small company / family feel here. When I started trucking I was afraid I would be known as a truck number like I've heard so many drivers complain about. Our dispatcher ask us how we want to run for the week. Some weeks I get in close to 4000 miles and some weeks I get 2500. I'm no super trucker. I enjoy being at my home in my bed weekly. The drivers around here have been here a while. I've wrote some nasty things about past employers so I thought I should share that I'm finally having a good experience.

John Deyne

Truckingmomma

Not an unusual incident with this company. I did 4700 miles for them in 6 days. To minot/graham/denver/fresno(seed terminal)stockton,denver and the load had to be there
10 hours before I could get there. I do not work for them after that. Same story, you like to eat don't you?! An no, even with a clean record,to accidents,speeding tickets or dui's, and a clean PSP, working for guys like these, who did pay me, and a bunch of others who did not.... I can not be hired because I have not worked solid jobs due to dips like these.... the insurance industry and the guys like above have agreed to keep whomever they dislike and don't fit the profile...OUT! Big Brother FMCSA and Big buisness are in it together.
I've been working here over a year now. I love the small company / family feel here. When I started trucking I was afraid I would be known as a truck number like I've heard so many drivers complain about. Our dispatcher ask us how we want to run for the week. Some weeks I get in close to 4000 miles and some weeks I get 2500. I'm no super trucker. I enjoy being at my home in my bed weekly. The drivers around here have been here a while. I've wrote some nasty things about past employers so I thought I should share that I'm finally having a good experience.

John Deyne
I have been with Hi Plains for years. I never had to work for free. Always got paid for the work I performed. This is a great place to work. Great folks in the office and our shop is top notch. I recommend Hi Plains. I've been a driver for over 18 years. Best company I've worked for. Poor comments usually come from people who don't like to work and have had their feelings stepped on.

John Deyne

just thought i'd share my experience. Maybe someone that is not a smart ass will find it to be usefully.
Keep on trucking! Im off to Bismarck.

Mike

Staff member

John Deyne
No, you are not a super trucker, you are a "managing partner" for this trucking company. As "managing partner", you just managed to give your company a big negative reputation among many truck drivers that visit this forum. Shame on you.