Help!...Need help with a 2011 Freightliner Cascadia DD15!

Hello and Greetings to all the truckers who make our daily lives much better from helping to bring that fresh food to our tables to those needed building materials to keep building this great country. I will try to be brief but my story is so long, complicated and sadly said, expensive and stressful, to the point I’m thinking right now just to bail out of trucking altogether and file for bankruptcy after so many attempts trying to make this truck to run; this is a 2011 Freightliner Cascadia DD15; back in April after some research I decided to buy this truck from Nationwide Haul which acquired it from Crete Carrier in Salt Lake City; it had around 516,000 miles on it; on the way back to Las Vegas, a single check engine light came on briefly and went away, took it to do a diagnostic or dyno to the Detroit dealer in Las Vegas and after $350 the results showed a leak in the engine coolant system, Crete Carrier told the dealer they would pay for that repair, so we drove back to Utah, again! (430 miles one way), there I was sent to SLC Detroit and they told me they found some other problems beside the leak, of course!, like belts and bearings were all bad, bad batteries, etc.… but the worst they found supposedly was a problem with the camshaft, pistons and cylinder heads which luckily was still under warranty along with the coolant leak, I still had to pay $850 for other repairs, the whole down time sitting at home waiting since they told me it could take from 2 to 3 weeks! But it turned out to be a month and a half that it took for them to fix it, finally took my first couple of flatbed loads to Idaho and truck started leaking from between the engine oil pan and transmission box, took it back to Detroit SLC, they told me the leaking has nothing to do with the previous work done by them, so I ended up coughing up $2000 for these new repairs, on my way back to Las Vegas on I-15 after I passed Mesquite climbing a hill I ran out of fuel (my fuel gauge is defective and realized it shows the tank is half full when actually is near empty) then both engine lights came on and truck lost power and was shaking a lot, stopped at a rest area 60 miles from Vegas, noticed the leak was still there, got fuel in my tanks again and drove home fine except the leak was still there, Detroit SLC told me to take it to Freightliner in Las Vegas that they were supposed to honor the warranty of the recent repairs, sure enough I ended up paying another $6000 since mysteriously none of the leaks was related to the repairs done in Utah and on top of that they supposedly replaced the injectors harness and the input shaft that goes from the engine to transmission box; picked it up and took a route all the way to Coral Gables, FL, between loads; one morning in Louisiana right after turned engine on, boom! The two check engine lights appeared again with the same effect, power loss and engine shaking, so same solution, turn engine off and on then the problem went away until a few days later it did it again on my way back in Houston, TX; leak was always there like they never fixed it but I kept going to try to make some money and recover some of the repairs, got back to Vegas and took a load from Kingman, AZ and on the way to Bakersfield, CA the 2 dreadful check engine lights came on again!!, this time both check engine lights never went away even after turn the truck engine off and on; I barely made it to the delivery site since I had no engine power really, thank god it only weighted 9000 lbs., called Freightliner Las Vegas and told me to bring the truck in immediately, I was skeptical and wary of these dealers way of doing business but I trusted one more time with their promises that they will honor the repairs warranty, sure enough, 2 days after the truck was brought in, they called me with the magic estimate of $8000, to “repair” they said, 3 failed injectors but “strongly recommend” to replace all 6 injectors plus to “fix” the leak that once again, was not coming from a previous repair, therefore, is not covered by warranty!; I refused their service not before paying $600 they said I owed for the diagnostic, so I took the truck to a small, independent mechanic who confirmed the problem with the injectors, I replaced them all rebuilt and repairs again put the bill at $3075, took my truck home and then again those too hateful check engine lights came on one more time on my way to pick up a load, back to this mechanic again, told me that the alternator was generating too much voltage (15.3 V) and was affecting the computer, harnesses and ECM, replaced the alternator, another $360!; took it for a test drive, everything ok, next day the mechanic told me to drive it one more time to be sure and after 15 miles down the road those lights came again, same old problem still unfixed, the two check engine lights, loss of power and engine shaking, now I’m sitting at my PC to see if anyone out there has have similar experience with this type of truck or same problem, any help, advise or reply will be appreciated, drive safe and thanks to all fellow truckers that would answer this topic.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Lemon law comes to my mind, but this isn't a new car or consumer product.

I would be consulting a lawyer myslef on options.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Lemon law comes to my mind, but this isn't a new car or consumer product.

I would be consulting a lawyer myslef on options.
Unfortunately, only WI has a lemon law that covers CMVs.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I know lemon laws don't address commercial trucks, but you are still utilizing dealers for services and if they are constantly not fixing it and always "something new and unrelated", huge red flags are raised in my book.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I know lemon laws don't address commercial trucks, but you are still utilizing dealers for services and if they are constantly not fixing it and always "something new and unrelated", huge red flags are raised in my book.
I'd start by taking the situation up to Freightliner Corporate... bouncing the truck between several different dealers isn't going to solve the problem, and since its an engine deal, getting Detroit Diesel involved is a must too.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Honestly... my choice for engine troubles has always been one if the engine manufacturer's shops since the specialize on working on that system.

Sorry to hear you story. I have two freight liner cascadia with 550 and 750000 miles. Thanks god no anyone problems. Usually I put 100-120000 tip in trucks each year. Most important is oil change oil change oil change and all filters! Fuel oil and air! I don't know how you like Freightliner service but I hate it! Usually rip you off! What we have to know about that ... At service usually workers make % what they sale. So more problems they find more they get and more you don't wanna take your truck there anymore... Also you can not talk with the person who fixed your truck! Totally rip off!!! I have a guy at Miami he is amazing! Not once not twice I called him and he told me on the phone what should I have to do. I had Volvo before and the time and money I spend on service was way more than I can afford. I think dd15 is a great engine we just have to take care of it like any other engine. Soon I see any oil leak or anything not good I change it or fix it. Anything we work with will be break down for sure ... Anyway the best thinks to do get a new truck and change it every 5 years. In that case you will be not facing with any issues. You save money on mpg and also you able to send your truck anywhere with out any issues

Injectors cost 1750 set 6. Not hard to change it! Dd15 newer put injector cleaner or anything else what you see in any commercial! Injectors made at hungary at Bosch company... So if you go to European website you can get it for cheaper. I spend 4000 on my truck now. Clutch and side oil gasket what ever is called its next to the oil filter. Usually always leaking and oil goes all way between engine and transmission so your clutch can go wrong. Also one pipe was broken under transmission. I spend 4000 but I think it's worth it. Hopefully this items will be lost for 500000 miles. Let me know if I can help you in anything.

Hello and Greetings to all the truckers who make our daily lives much better from helping to bring that fresh food to our tables to those needed building materials to keep building this great country. I will try to be brief but my story is so long, complicated and sadly said, expensive and stressful, to the point I’m thinking right now just to bail out of trucking altogether and file for bankruptcy after so many attempts trying to make this truck to run; this is a 2011 Freightliner Cascadia DD15; back in April after some research I decided to buy this truck from Nationwide Haul which acquired it from Crete Carrier in Salt Lake City; it had around 516,000 miles on it; on the way back to Las Vegas, a single check engine light came on briefly and went away, took it to do a diagnostic or dyno to the Detroit dealer in Las Vegas and after $350 the results showed a leak in the engine coolant system, Crete Carrier told the dealer they would pay for that repair, so we drove back to Utah, again! (430 miles one way), there I was sent to SLC Detroit and they told me they found some other problems beside the leak, of course!, like belts and bearings were all bad, bad batteries, etc.… but the worst they found supposedly was a problem with the camshaft, pistons and cylinder heads which luckily was still under warranty along with the coolant leak, I still had to pay $850 for other repairs, the whole down time sitting at home waiting since they told me it could take from 2 to 3 weeks! But it turned out to be a month and a half that it took for them to fix it, finally took my first couple of flatbed loads to Idaho and truck started leaking from between the engine oil pan and transmission box, took it back to Detroit SLC, they told me the leaking has nothing to do with the previous work done by them, so I ended up coughing up $2000 for these new repairs, on my way back to Las Vegas on I-15 after I passed Mesquite climbing a hill I ran out of fuel (my fuel gauge is defective and realized it shows the tank is half full when actually is near empty) then both engine lights came on and truck lost power and was shaking a lot, stopped at a rest area 60 miles from Vegas, noticed the leak was still there, got fuel in my tanks again and drove home fine except the leak was still there, Detroit SLC told me to take it to Freightliner in Las Vegas that they were supposed to honor the warranty of the recent repairs, sure enough I ended up paying another $6000 since mysteriously none of the leaks was related to the repairs done in Utah and on top of that they supposedly replaced the injectors harness and the input shaft that goes from the engine to transmission box; picked it up and took a route all the way to Coral Gables, FL, between loads; one morning in Louisiana right after turned engine on, boom! The two check engine lights appeared again with the same effect, power loss and engine shaking, so same solution, turn engine off and on then the problem went away until a few days later it did it again on my way back in Houston, TX; leak was always there like they never fixed it but I kept going to try to make some money and recover some of the repairs, got back to Vegas and took a load from Kingman, AZ and on the way to Bakersfield, CA the 2 dreadful check engine lights came on again!!, this time both check engine lights never went away even after turn the truck engine off and on; I barely made it to the delivery site since I had no engine power really, thank god it only weighted 9000 lbs., called Freightliner Las Vegas and told me to bring the truck in immediately, I was skeptical and wary of these dealers way of doing business but I trusted one more time with their promises that they will honor the repairs warranty, sure enough, 2 days after the truck was brought in, they called me with the magic estimate of $8000, to “repair” they said, 3 failed injectors but “strongly recommend” to replace all 6 injectors plus to “fix” the leak that once again, was not coming from a previous repair, therefore, is not covered by warranty!; I refused their service not before paying $600 they said I owed for the diagnostic, so I took the truck to a small, independent mechanic who confirmed the problem with the injectors, I replaced them all rebuilt and repairs again put the bill at $3075, took my truck home and then again those too hateful check engine lights came on one more time on my way to pick up a load, back to this mechanic again, told me that the alternator was generating too much voltage (15.3 V) and was affecting the computer, harnesses and ECM, replaced the alternator, another $360!; took it for a test drive, everything ok, next day the mechanic told me to drive it one more time to be sure and after 15 miles down the road those lights came again, same old problem still unfixed, the two check engine lights, loss of power and engine shaking, now I’m sitting at my PC to see if anyone out there has have similar experience with this type of truck or same problem, any help, advise or reply will be appreciated, drive safe and thanks to all fellow truckers that would answer this topic.

I am sorry you are having so many problems. Believe me we have all been there. I can't speak about the other problems,but I had a similar power loss check engine problem with 2013. Turned out to be a down tube of some kind that was blocked up with carbon. Fyda frieghtliner of Pittsburgh replaced it and no more problems. With that anyways.

I hope this response finds you before you've sold your truck. Your oil leak from your pan is a factory defect. Detroit sent a campaign out to every shop informing mechanics of the issue. Silicon gasket adhesive must be used in the back corners to prevent leaking (there's two large seams on the bottom of the frank case that your oil pan gasket can not deal along). As for the loss of power, replace your doser nozzle, flush your metering valve with hot water and compressed air and Regen your truck. This should fix your issues. Best of luck

Bored Insane

Camtron Camtron , good info.

@ op, I have not had or heard of this issue, but it's a horror story. First, I would consult a lemon law lawyer, it definetly sounds like a lemon and the law should be covered for commercial trucks. Talk to them first, second I would have taken the truck to a private shop. This is a hard call because they tell you warranty covers it, but still charges you thousands!! That is not acceptable. Get a shop manual and get more info for yourself so you have some idea what it is.

Hopefully, this story doesn't end worse.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Camtron Camtron , good info.

@ op, I have not had or heard of this issue, but it's a horror story. First, I would consult a lemon law lawyer, it definetly sounds like a lemon and the law should be covered for commercial trucks. Talk to them first, second I would have taken the truck to a private shop. This is a hard call because they tell you warranty covers it, but still charges you thousands!! That is not acceptable. Get a shop manual and get more info for yourself so you have some idea what it is.

Hopefully, this story doesn't end worse.
You're responding to something that was posted 16 months ago.

IIRC, Wisconsin is the only state that has a "lemon law" that covers commercial trucks.

Bored Insane

You're responding to something that was posted 16 months ago.

IIRC, Wisconsin is the only state that has a "lemon law" that covers commercial trucks.
Yeah, I just came back to TFN. All my posts will be late. I think I'll still check with the lawyers, it wouldn't hurt.

HELLO THERE! I GOING THRU THE SAME SITUATION FINALY HOW DID YOU FIX THE PROBLEN?