Hello from Lawton, Oklahoma!

JohnPrestonBailey

I'd love to make the money that professional drivers make even though it's royal pain in the "burro".

Over the past four days, just driving my rented 2017 Penske 22' International diesel with a car carrier in tow moving from Boise, Idaho to Lawton in Sooner State makes me appreciate how America screws her truck drivers though her economy would drop dead in a flash without commercial rigs. I just came into Lawton this evening after a four-day trip. I feel sorry for pro drivers. The poor infrastructure, torn-up highways and limited roadside services makes even driving a UHaul or Penske a daunting task. I had to go thru hell to find a motel where my moving van with trailer could be parked while it was getting late at night and I was getting plumb tuckered out behind the wheel. At least you mega carrier operators have a comfy climate-controlled sleeper berth where you could just land at a TS parking lot or a rest area to sleep comfy and securely. Rental trucks for moving offer no such amenities. You also have airbag ride in your modern OTR rigs while my moving truck had punishing leaf springs on all 4 corners. I had to slow down on the potholes of I80 WY and the washboard of I25 CO or die. OTR rigs just passed me on these nasty roads as if glidngh over air. The late-model International moving van mad in Mexico is a true shaker. Years ago, Uhaul used to advertise air cushion ride. I chose Penske because of the diesel economy but it rode much worse than a wheelbarrow.

I could not even find one damned place in Denver city limits off I25 South to park my rented truck to rest and get out to stretch my legs except River Pointe parking lot at the Target Supercenter and it took me a half hour to find it by accident while my rheumatoid arthritis was killing me. Denver metro are is especially big truck unfriendly. I have my bed laying flat in the back to lie down on during the day at rest stops but the hot weather in Texas this afternoon made me lie down across the cab seat with the engine idling and a/c on. The split el-cheapo vinyl bench seat is not too comfy to lie down on. Do International CL7 or 8 tractors shake badly over potholes like a rented Penske van?

Here's what sucks about the American infrastructure for pro drivers as I have observed in a 1,500 mile rental truck trip as follows:

1. shortage of rest areas in states like Oklahoma and Texas panhandle: want fatigued drivers on the road you cheap states? put more damn rest parking in then!
2. shortage of Walmart parking for OTR rigs
3. shortage of travel center parking
4. the mega travel centers (Love's Pilot T/A: euphemism for truck stop) sock it to you: $4.00 for a pint of ice cream and $3.00 for a large candy bar
5. severe shortage of semi-accessible full service restaurants with real tables, cooks and waitresses: we need Perkin's and Perkins's quality restaurants all across the nation that are tractor-trailer accessible: I don't want a steady diet of Subway: are drivers these days in too big of a hurry for a sit-down full-course meal like Mel's Diner on Alice?
6. the highways are torn to hell: potholes and washboards: Colorado I25 and Wyoming I80 really bad
7. we need a national truck route
8. America's infrastructure needs to be rebuilt to support commercial freight trucking
9. OTR truckers need a union and a lobby
10. shortage of tractor-trailer accessible cheap

Big vehicles need parking, parking and more PARKING!

America needs truck Walmarts, truck Walmarts and MORE truck Walmarts!

America needs big rig restaurants, big rig restaurants and more big restaurants. I don't want to live out of a cooler or a crock pot.

Big American Trucking is broken and needs a super overhaul.

People want their milk at the supermarket but curse 18-wheelers for getting in the way.

11. Trucking needs national awareness program to educate the public even in public schools to appreciate trucking as we do local firemen, soldiers and police officers.

Last edited:

JohnPrestonBailey

Railroad workers have many advantages: they own the real estate that their trains run on called right-of-way. No motor traffic gets in the way of trains. Parking is never an issue. They have a federal retirement program in lieu of social security and they have a damn strong union. Uncle Sam doesn't give two sh_ts about road-going freight vehicles. We need a national highway system exclusively for trucks. We need established truck routes.

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
$4.00 for a pint of ice cream
Must of been on sale. Usually $6-$7
Perkin's and Perkins's quality
I don’t like Perkins; however most flying J have a Denny’s and you can find cafes at mom n pop stops. Every truck stop used to have a diner. Guys *****ed there wasn’t nothing fast. Now everything is fast...🤷🏻‍♂️ Is what it is. Also if a guy really want to sit at a restaurant and eat. There’s always Uber.
OTR truckers need a union and a lobby
Not just no but hell no. Definitely a Hard No from me. I’m not a union bullshit buyer and I never will be. Back in the 20s unions were good because industry wasn’t regulated now days. It’s over regulated and I don’t need someone to take my money for that.

JohnPrestonBailey

I stopped at a Denny's in Wyoming at a Pilot, I think. Grungy-looking joint, no a/c with rough-looking male waiters and the food sucks in comparison with the Perkins I stopped at. The Perkins in Idaho had nice friendly waitresses and a clean, comfy atmosphere. I don't think the bill at Perkins was much more than Denny's.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Perkins is way better than Dennys but rarely accessible with a large truck, an you'd go broke eating there all the time unless you're 75 years old.

Dennys causes havok in my intestines in record setting ways not fit for public discussion. I don't even bother with it anymore.

I didn't know about the federal program for railroad workers. I know they are super powerful though. When we hauled large steel bridge beams to the Cleveland Inner Belt project, we sat for 2 weeks in the middle of the interstate because we were directly over a set of tracks that was near the end of a switching yard, and we weren't allowed to be unloaded and swinging beams while trains were passing underneath. And there were LOTS of trains. They wouldn't give us a timetable or anything. They just didn't care.

At one point someone from the state tried to push their weight around, and tell them he was "from the state"!

The railroads answer was simply, "We were here before you were a state."

I don't know what happened but finally we got unloaded. Probably a bribe...

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
I stopped at a Denny's in Wyoming at a Pilot, I think. Grungy-looking joint, no a/c with rough-looking male waiters and the food sucks in comparison with the Perkins I stopped at. The Perkins in Idaho had nice friendly waitresses and a clean, comfy atmosphere. I don't think the bill at Perkins was much more than Denny's.
Well there’s your problem, Wyoming, I forget which one on 80 it is but there is one where if they figure out your a driver they won’t serve you. It’s independent and there is a sign on the door saying they are an independently owned Denny’s and reserve the right to refuse service to anyone.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Railroad workers have many advantages: they own the real estate that their trains run on called right-of-way. No motor traffic gets in the way of trains. Parking is never an issue. They have a federal retirement program in lieu of social security and they have a damn strong union. Uncle Sam doesn't give two sh_ts about road-going freight vehicles. We need a national highway system exclusively for trucks. We need established truck routes.
You might not think so if you ever worked for a railroad.

National truck route? That's the Interstate Highway System and US highways.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
You might not think so if you ever worked for a railroad.

National truck route? That's the Interstate Highway System and US highways.
I’ve often thought that through major cities through traffic should have separate lanes.

Just think how awesome an elevated Skyway would be that ran all the way from Indiana and merged back with the regular traffic somewhere out bear Hampshire...