Fuel Economy Having Side Skirts Installed On My Trailer Tomorrow.

Mike

Staff member
Dropping the trailer off tomorrow at Great Dane, picking it back up next week. Having a set of black Transtex trailer skirts installed. Black because after seeing a few trailers with black skirts, I decided I liked how they looked better than white.

Transtex Black.png

Initially, I had planned on having the Smart Truck undertray system installed. Problem with that was I could never find any third party testing of this system to show how close it came to the fuel economy improvement claims. Not being convinced that it was better, I definitely wasn't going to spend more money to have it.

Transtex also makes their own trailer tail. If I am happy with the performance of the skirts, I will probably have the tail added pretty soon as well. Probably get a nose cone before doing that though.

Mike

Staff member
gittin' ready for that commifornia truck?
Mainly just wanting to get the MPG's back. It was clearly a drop from the skirted orange trailers to my completely non aero trailer.

A very conservative ROI is about 4 months or so on these. Less if I wouldn't be a snowflake and install them myself.

Mike

Staff member
That, and......

I will be nowhere near home while the trailer is having the work done. Gymnastics meet, then off to somewhere for 2-3 days, maybe Texas. Thinking about Six Flags possibly for the kids during spring break.

dchawk81

Supporter
Spring ride sucks.

Skirts and tails make the entire rig feel like a cohesive unit gliding through the air. I could definitely tell the difference between the fully aero trailers and the plain vans at USX since we had consistency in our product and routes.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Dropping the trailer off tomorrow at Great Dane, picking it back up next week. Having a set of black Transtex trailer skirts installed. Black because after seeing a few trailers with black skirts, I decided I liked how they looked better than white.

View attachment 49077

Initially, I had planned on having the Smart Truck undertray system installed. Problem with that was I could never find any third party testing of this system to show how close it came to the fuel economy improvement claims. Not being convinced that it was better, I definitely wasn't going to spend more money to have it.

Transtex also makes their own trailer tail. If I am happy with the performance of the skirts, I will probably have the tail added pretty soon as well. Probably get a nose cone before doing that though.
Keeping close track of you're fuel economy? We'll want before and after numbers ya know!

IIRC I got about +0.3 mpg on Prime's trailers when they installed skirts.

Mike

Staff member
Keeping close track of you're fuel economy? We'll want before and after numbers ya know!

IIRC I got about +0.3 mpg on Prime's trailers when they installed skirts.
I keep up with my numbers year around, but haven’t focused on Maximizing all winter. Once the weather warms up, I will be able to compare it to last year though.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I keep up with my numbers year around, but haven’t focused on Maximizing all winter. Once the weather warms up, I will be able to compare it to last year though.
Just hoping you've been keeping a good record if it.

LOL! Winter fuel economy means doing as well as you can despite what gets thrown at ya!

Mike

Staff member
Just hoping you've been keeping a good record if it.

LOL! Winter fuel economy means doing as well as you can despite what gets thrown at ya!
I enter all my fuel stops into the let’s truck app at the end of each quarter, too lazy to do it after each fill up.

Mike

Staff member
Since I’m down a couple days, or a week, or whenever I decide to work again........

Decided to drop the truck off to get the overhead ran. Figured it would be a good idea to get that reset after getting the head replaced several months ago.

Climbed into a new cascadia when I dropped the truck off. Custom build, all upgraded and looked nice on the inside.

Brought the new truck itch back, lol.

So, now we have side skirts, fleet air filter, and fresh overhead. Hoping to see good numbers when Spring arrives.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Since I’m down a couple days, or a week, or whenever I decide to work again........

Decided to drop the truck off to get the overhead ran. Figured it would be a good idea to get that reset after getting the head replaced several months ago.

Climbed into a new cascadia when I dropped the truck off. Custom build, all upgraded and looked nice on the inside.

Brought the new truck itch back, lol.

So, now we have side skirts, fleet air filter, and fresh overhead. Hoping to see good numbers when Spring arrives.
Well?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I suppose you're aware that by changing three things at once there's no way to attribute any performance change or fraction thereof to any specific one of the changes...

:foreheadslap:

Duck

Trump
Supporter
I suppose you're aware that by changing three things at once there's no way to attribute any performance change or fraction thereof to any specific one of the changes...

:foreheadslap:
Doesn't matter.

You'll never drive in the exact same weather conditions twice.

There's 360 degrees that wind can be hitting you from. Humidity and barometric pressure affect engine performance and fuel efficiency,.. Quartering headwinds are worse than a direct headwind and far more common. Loads vary. Fuel quality varies. Way too many variables.

The only way to replicate exact same conditions before and after the addition of tree hugger contraptions is in a wind tunnel where everything is controllable.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Doesn't matter.

You'll never drive in the exact same weather conditions twice.

There's 360 degrees that wind can be hitting you from. Humidity and barometric pressure affect engine performance and fuel efficiency,.. Quartering headwinds are worse than a direct headwind and far more common. Loads vary. Fuel quality varies. Way too many variables.

The only way to replicate exact same conditions before and after the addition of tree hugger contraptions is in a wind tunnel where everything is controllable.
You ever hear of something called an "average?" Of course not...

A 90- day average gives you a good handle on what a change did for you. Long term averages smooths out those bumps in the data.

Latest posts