Have Your Credentials Expired While On the Road?

CDL or Medical Ever Expired While OTR?

• Total voters

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I'm just curious how many of us had this happen, and why...?

Mike

Staff member
Never

And it won't happen with this company. They suspend you 7-10 days before something expires

coachman

Old ass'd trucker
Supporter
Years ago my medical card expired while I was in Tx, got it taken care of 4 days later.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I have had my drivers license expire,But I wasn't on the road. It was Happy Birthday you can't drive anymore! All I had to do was go down there and get my picture took and some paperwork.What a strange feeling to not be able to drive and have to get a ride from some one to privileges back.

Ragged Rooster

Banned
BANNED
Guess they expect their drivers to take their responsibilities seriously.
Yes but most companies also realize that everyone is human, therefore fallable. Regarless of how seriously they may want their drivers to take their responsibilities, unlike you, they realize people will make mistakes.

If you are unfortunate enough to drive for the mega companies, they will remind you a week or 2 in advance and hound you to get it done. Those of us who drive for O/O's or are O/O's and do not need to led around by the short hairs, are busy running our asses off trying to make a living and are prone to forgetting things that don't seem to be an emergency at that particular time. Letting your medical expire is NOT the end of the world and most drivers who have had it happen will tell you that they were NOT put out of service, just a warning and expected to make it right ASAP.

Whirlwind

Hard to Handle
Honestly, I've never even been close. I'm the kind of person who will be getting something renewed 2 months in advance. I got my fingerprints done for the HazMat endorsement earlier this week, and my license is good until October. I just like to get it done so I don't have to worry about it. Now when I come home from my summer vacation, I can head down to the BMV and get my license renewed with no delay.

Racer X 69

Those of us who drive for O/O's or are O/O's and do not need to led around by the short hairs, are busy running our asses off trying to make a living and are prone to forgetting things that don't seem to be an emergency at that particular time.
I fail to understand how anyone can forget the very key to their profession.

If a person is so confounded by all the details of the job then they need to learn to manage their priorities better. Trucking is one job where if a person doesn't keep their poop in a group things will fall apart quickly, and it can be difficult to put it all back together.

And it really doesn't take all that much effort to do so, just foresight and planning. And of course, keeping it all together.

During my 30 year career as a mechanic, if I obtained and held certain certifications my company would pay a premium over the base wage. Nobody reminded me when those certifications came due for renewal. I always kept them current.

My success and comfortable income depended on it.

The same goes for me keeping my license, medical, etc. current and valid now that I drive for a living.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Aren't you gonna vote in your own poll?
I just did.

I have run independent and under the umbrella of large carriers. My stuff has come due under both circumstances. While the "megas" begin nagging at 60 days ahead of renewal deadline, I have not actually needed the reminders.

FWIW, this is not the only profession I have been in that requires current certifications and licensing. I have been a private investigator, armed bodyguard, firefighter, EMT and respiratory care provider. None of my certifications lapsed while I was working in any of those positions.

All we have to do is go to DMV and get a snapshot. Some of us have to provide medical forms and TSA background checks as well. In those other jobs I had, I was required to attend and provide proof of continuing education, at my own cost. It was pretty simple. No license, no work.

But I guess I'm one of the "perfect" ones.

blackw900

Flatbedder For Life!
Yes but most companies also realize that everyone is human, therefore fallable. Regarless of how seriously they may want their drivers to take their responsibilities, unlike you, they realize people will make mistakes.

If you are unfortunate enough to drive for the mega companies, they will remind you a week or 2 in advance and hound you to get it done. Those of us who drive for O/O's or are O/O's and do not need to led around by the short hairs, are busy running our asses off trying to make a living and are prone to forgetting things that don't seem to be an emergency at that particular time. Letting your medical expire is NOT the end of the world and most drivers who have had it happen will tell you that they were NOT put out of service, just a warning and expected to make it right ASAP.

I've driven and owned trucks for a long time and have never let my license or medical expire....I wouldn't let it expire any more than I'd let the tags on my truck expire.

Great, another member that thinks I'm stupid because I'm not an owner operator.....,lol

Really? I didn't percieve it that way at all....

Ragged Rooster

Banned
BANNED
I fail to understand how anyone can forget the very key to their profession.

If a person is so confounded by all the details of the job then they need to learn to manage their priorities better. Trucking is one job where if a person doesn't keep their poop in a group things will fall apart quickly, and it can be difficult to put it all back together.

And it really doesn't take all that much effort to do so, just foresight and planning. And of course, keeping it all together.

During my 30 year career as a mechanic, if I obtained and held certain certifications my company would pay a premium over the base wage. Nobody reminded me when those certifications came due for renewal. I always kept them current.

My success and comfortable income depended on it.

The same goes for me keeping my license, medical, etc. current and valid now that I drive for a living.
Ok Racer, I'm done on this thread as well. You started or had someone else start this thread to continue your barbs at me and that's fine. Let me say this....We here on TF all realize just how perfect you are. You have never had anything expire. You've never failed a roadside. You've never forgotten to include a receipt with the last load you transflowed. You are just perfect in every way and we here are just busting with pride for you. I say you're full of ****, but whatever. The rest of us live in the real world and have sense enough to realize we are NOT as perfect as you are and we have the sense and guts to admit we have screwed up a time or two.

This has NOTHING to to do with your claim that we are so " confounded by all the details of the job then they need to learn to manage their priorities better." It just so happens that the rest of us who live in the real world are sitting in a truck stop with a compressor that won't build air or tires that the owner is trying to get the price right so he can afford to get them on the truck or a host of other things that seemed more pressing at the time or that kept us from our home time and allowed us to renew those pesky little things like medicals.

You should give this a rest. You have already told us ALL just how perfect you are in numerous threads and frankly I (not speaking for the rest) am sick of watching you beat your chest about how you never make mistakes. Enough in your case is more than enough already.

In my humble opinion, you missed you calling. You are wasting you time as a driver. You should start your own company and teach all of us idiots who are confounded by the trapping of daily life and how to be perfect like you.

You'd be rich beyond all belief. I would relish the opportunity to meet you in person and shake the hand of the most perfect truck driver in HISTORY!

With that, I am OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackw900

Flatbedder For Life!
With that, I am OUTTA HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Buh Bye.....:rolllaugh:

We should start a club.

Small club....

Me, You, The Redskin and Cerberus......

After careful consideration I have decided that we'll let Mike in.....Even though he's a lowly, Know nothing company hand.........

He does own the forum, So we have to let him in or he'll kick us out of the clubhouse......Don't tell him I said that!

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
I will say my last license renewal went down to the wire. Texas wanted an original Birth Certificate and Oregon was a bit slow in getting it to me.

Of course, between the time I ordered my Birth Certificate and presenting it to Texas, Texas had decided my TWIC card would have sufficed. Heh...

Whirlwind

Hard to Handle
I will say my last license renewal went down to the wire. Texas wanted an original Birth Certificate and Oregon was a bit slow in getting it to me.

Of course, between the time I ordered my Birth Certificate and presenting it to Texas, Texas had decided my TWIC card would have sufficed. Heh...
This is exactly why I do not wait until the last minute. You never can tell when gov't bureaucracy will mess something up for you.