Hammer goes to the Dark Side...

Hillbilly Canuck

It's impressive to me how they look at a whack of cars and decide how and where they're gonna fit. Mistakes at that could be quite problematic.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
It's impressive to me how they look at a whack of cars and decide how and where they're gonna fit. Mistakes at that could be quite problematic.
You just have to be able to "see" them on the truck, and think about your weight balance, remembering the back 2 units affect the weight on all 3 axle groups.

If I need to worry about it, I'll peek at suspension pressure before I load belly cars. That let's me know my initial plan was close and what fine tuning I need to do on direction and placement of the last few cars. The extra weight on the steers usually gives me some leeway on the drive and tandem, but some loads I can't get the weight I want up there and I have to be more careful.

20200110_101808.jpg

This load was that way. I was in Michigan, so needed to keep height down. So Equinox backed on, F-150 with Fusion underneath. Another 150 with a Yukon XL on top the trailer, and a Continental, Escape and Impala in the bottom.

I had to push second 150, and the Connie and Escape underneath it, as far forward as possible to keep height down. That loaded the stinger which pulled weight off the steers. The Yukon was all the way back, as was the impala, which was backed on to help pull some weight to the trailer and off the drives while weighting the steers a bit.

Easy peasy!

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
You just have to be able to "see" them on the truck, and think about your weight balance, remembering the back 2 units affect the weight on all 3 axle groups.

If I need to worry about it, I'll peek at suspension pressure before I load belly cars. That let's me know my initial plan was close and what fine tuning I need to do on direction and placement of the last few cars. The extra weight on the steers usually gives me some leeway on the drive and tandem, but some loads I can't get the weight I want up there and I have to be more careful.

View attachment 57004

This load was that way. I was in Michigan, so needed to keep height down. So Equinox backed on, F-150 with Fusion underneath. Another 150 with a Yukon XL on top the trailer, and a Continental, Escape and Impala in the bottom.

I had to push second 150, and the Connie and Escape underneath it, as far forward as possible to keep height down. That loaded the stinger which pulled weight off the steers. The Yukon was all the way back, as was the impala, which was backed on to help pull some weight to the trailer and off the drives while weighting the steers a bit.

Easy peasy!
And here I thought ya'll made the big bucks so you could afford all of them speeding tickets, 9 cars plus the truck.;)

It turns out there is some thinking involved. :thumbsup:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
It's really no different than a lot of flatbed loads (lumber/pipe.) You're not directly securing the freight, you're just holding it by increasing friction. Same idea.
My trailer moved on me from York ne to Walcott.

Tires are noticably deflated from the cold. Because of that, the trailer rolled back a couple inches.

Problem resolved with extra 4" straps.
No place to secure to with chains.

Now I'm brainstorming chock block ideas for the Future.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
My trailer moved on me from York ne to Walcott.

Tires are noticably deflated from the cold. Because of that, the trailer rolled back a couple inches.

Problem resolved with extra 4" straps.
No place to secure to with chains.

Now I'm brainstorming chock block ideas for the Future.
Definitely much easier with all holes in my deck! I've seen guys use wheel straps on flats, they just run chain across deck in front and behind the tires. Hook the ratchet to the rail and you're all set.

Except I haven't done the math, and side loading a flat chain can generate some ridiculous tension numbers.

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK
I've also seen trailers set on 4x4 in coil racks, but they need a bit more length to my eye. Don't think the tire was riding deep enough. Worth looking into though.
When hauling rubber tires anything I strap a timber down in front of and behind one axle of it. Works just as good as when deer nails blocks into my deck. Doesn’t cost any extra to lay down two timbers and throw 2 2” straps.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
SmartSelect_20200121-073211_Samsung Health.jpg

Long day, all the walking was on snow/ice/drifts. I was a tired puppy time I made Rapid.

The 4 Hyundais on the load have me fits, they wouldn't engage the start circuit. 2 started within 15 seconds, the third after 5 minutes, and I screwed with the last one over an hour before it decided it would start. And still don't have a clue what triggered them to decide to start! I'm thinking key related, but they started fine coming out of the frigid auction, so who knows.

Off to Billings...

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Nothing like coming out of a stall and seeing tight women's jeans, platform heels, and a women's coat bent over the sink. I had that momentary freak of "Am I in the wrong bathroom?" before I realized it was a sixty-ish white-haired guy.😯

You do you, dude.