Green Horn

gebb

Hello,
I just graduated TDI school. I'm taking my endorsements this week, and I have to start my Orientation and training ASAP ($).
I'm an older guy (50), and all thou don't mind working hard, i'd like some quality life with this new carrier. I've been applying and talking to a bunch of companies/recruiters. So far I can start with 3 or 4 in my main list.
Right now not knowing much about the industry, I think I'd like to drive Tanker/ HazMat. For two reasons, it seems to pay a little better, and eventually I could find a job where I can be home every night.
Schneider is the only company that I could start training as a tanker. But it seems that benefit and pay are the lowest among the companies I'm applying with.
TMC I can be home every weekend, or almost. Descent pay/benefits, no tanker, only Hazmat.
I'd like some advice, as a new trucker stepping into it.
thanks
G.

nan

Supporter
I don't know what Schneider is paying tanker but their job pages are pretty accurate, in my experience.

TMC is flatbed so you're looking at tarping...year round. r3gulator3 r3gulator3 is the man to ask about them. He's been bleeding chrome for a while now.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
If you like structure and standards TMC is where it’s at. Been here 2.5 years and I love it. If ya got questions feel free to hit me up.

Welcome to the forum.

vaportrail

where are you at, I know of 3 local, regional tanker/hazmat gigs that will hire without exp. as of today

gebb

where are you at, I know of 3 local, regional tanker/hazmat gigs that will hire without exp. as of today
Thank you everyone. I'm in central Alabama. I've been looking at posts from r3gulator3 (thank you Sir). It's so overwhelming to choose a company. And I may think I know what I want now, but down in the road, it will probably change.
Ultimately, I'd like to have a local job where I can have more home time. For the little I know, fuel tank drivers, or ammonia tankers can be home every night. And still make descent money (60-65K). So, I thought if I could start off with tanker it would be easier to find something local sooner.
Anyone can tell me if I get a couple years experience with flat bed (TMC), and it still counts to get into tanker later.
I do have Doubles, Tanker and Hazmat endorsements.

vaportrail

I would still knock on some doors at the local tanker outfits they may say they want xyz years of experience.... ive found that out to be false at least up here in mn

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Stay away from Quality Carriers.

In fact I wasn’t impressed with chemical tankers at all.

All sorts of responsibility that falls on you.

And wearing a hazmat microwave suit in hot weather is less than awesome.