GPS

I’m new so wanted to know why would a person need a RM Or Garmin. When the i phone has all sorts of map programs to choose?

You don’t need one. I’ve never had one

An atlas is far more useful. Wait for the end of year specials, and get the coil binding one. I’m running a 2015 Rand McNally atlas, no issues here

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I’m new so wanted to know why would a person need a RM Or Garmin. When the i phone has all sorts of map programs to choose?
The apps on your phone do not identify truck prohibited routes, low overpasses, weight restrictions, etc, - they are intended for use by passenger cars, not 80,000 lb commercial vehicles that are often 13' 6" in height or more. You don't want to be this person...

Truck takes out bridge

A current Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas is a requirement for commercial drivers for the information in it, identification of legal routes, restrictions to commercial vehicles, etc. You'll need this for trip planning, besides navigation.

GPSs are handy for enroute navigating, but can't be trusted 100%. They are only as good as the programming and databases that are used. The situation on the ground does change - there is new road construction, and local governments don't always communicate travel restrictions in a timely manner. That being said, finding a poorly marked road at night is a lot easier with one than without. When dispatch calls and wants a firm estimated arrival time, a GPS gives you the distance to be travelled with no guessing involved. It's a handy tool.

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Whatever you get, make sure it's a truckers version. The routing is different than for a car.

You really need to be on your toes though as the GPS can add miles in making time. There are shortcuts in the routes a GPS won't take you on.

My preference is the Rand McNally because the motor carrier road atlas is the same data.

Others swear at it while still others will swear by it.

A rm GPS, atlas and Google maps all combined would do you well.

I would update my GPS every time I was home just before leaving out. Rarely would i see no update due to construction. So it takes some diligence on the part of the user.

GAnthony

Supporter
what you might want to have..

1) Rand McNally truckers road atlas, large print

2) Rand McNally truckers GPS....

Garmin is ok too, i just never had that one.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY,..........

NEVER RELY SOLELY ON ANY BRAND OF GPS........!!!!!!!!

A trucker's GPS allows you to enter the height, length and weight of your vehicle. The GPS will route you away from low bridges or roads that your truck should avoid. Your cell phone will often charge for data use using the GPS function. The trucker's gps will tell you about all truckstops and weigh stations along the way.
In short, your life will be a lot easier with a GPS unit.

Yes You can turn the sound off. Not sure if you can just shut it up for a few seconds while it is alarming.