GPS

I’m new so wanted to know why would a person need a RM Or Garmin. When the i phone has all sorts of map programs to choose?

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
You don’t need one. I’ve never had one

An atlas is far more useful. Wait for the end of year specials, and get the coil binding one. I’m running a 2015 Rand McNally atlas, no issues here

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I’m new so wanted to know why would a person need a RM Or Garmin. When the i phone has all sorts of map programs to choose?
The apps on your phone do not identify truck prohibited routes, low overpasses, weight restrictions, etc, - they are intended for use by passenger cars, not 80,000 lb commercial vehicles that are often 13' 6" in height or more. You don't want to be this person...

Truck takes out bridge

A current Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas is a requirement for commercial drivers for the information in it, identification of legal routes, restrictions to commercial vehicles, etc. You'll need this for trip planning, besides navigation.

GPSs are handy for enroute navigating, but can't be trusted 100%. They are only as good as the programming and databases that are used. The situation on the ground does change - there is new road construction, and local governments don't always communicate travel restrictions in a timely manner. That being said, finding a poorly marked road at night is a lot easier with one than without. When dispatch calls and wants a firm estimated arrival time, a GPS gives you the distance to be travelled with no guessing involved. It's a handy tool.

Last edited:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Whatever you get, make sure it's a truckers version. The routing is different than for a car.

You really need to be on your toes though as the GPS can add miles in making time. There are shortcuts in the routes a GPS won't take you on.

My preference is the Rand McNally because the motor carrier road atlas is the same data.

Others swear at it while still others will swear by it.

A rm GPS, atlas and Google maps all combined would do you well.

I would update my GPS every time I was home just before leaving out. Rarely would i see no update due to construction. So it takes some diligence on the part of the user.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
what you might want to have..

1) Rand McNally truckers road atlas, large print

2) Rand McNally truckers GPS....

Garmin is ok too, i just never had that one.

BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY,..........

NEVER RELY SOLELY ON ANY BRAND OF GPS........!!!!!!!!

Tonka11_99

A trucker's GPS allows you to enter the height, length and weight of your vehicle. The GPS will route you away from low bridges or roads that your truck should avoid. Your cell phone will often charge for data use using the GPS function. The trucker's gps will tell you about all truckstops and weigh stations along the way.
In short, your life will be a lot easier with a GPS unit.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
I bought CoPilot for my phone. It's a truck GPS and the backbone of US Xpress' embedded routing. I bought it when I worked for them because I had a ProStar that liked to go wonky, electrically speaking.

The app downloads completely to your phone, no cell service needed.

Haven't used it in a while since I know where my customers are these days, but it doesn't hurt to have ready.

I find the paper map to be obsolete from an informational standpoint but they don't need a battery so they're still useful...just in case.

I haven't had to crack one open since orientation 2 years ago though.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I bought CoPilot for my phone. It's a truck GPS and the backbone of US Xpress' embedded routing. I bought it when I worked for them because I had a ProStar that liked to go wonky, electrically speaking.

The app downloads completely to your phone, no cell service needed.

Haven't used it in a while since I know where my customers are these days, but it doesn't hurt to have ready.

I find the paper map to be obsolete from an informational standpoint but they don't need a battery so they're still useful...just in case.

I haven't had to crack one open since orientation 2 years ago though.
Still handy to have on for when your plan gets crapped on.

Large print is good for low light levels.... no matter what your age.

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
Yeah that truck gps will often route to weight restricted bridges and scream at you right before you get to it, sometimes it doesn’t know that low bridge is there, and especially on the east coast they change roads to truck restricted and the GPS map doesn’t get updated for some time.

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
Yeah that truck gps will often route to weight restricted bridges and scream at you right before you get to it, sometimes it doesn’t know that low bridge is there, and especially on the east coast they change roads to truck restricted and the GPS map doesn’t get updated for some time.
And paper gets updated automatically...

That's my point about the spiral being obsolete. It's not gonna be any more current than your GPS.

It's a good backup plan for power usage reasons but it won't give you anything you can't get online.

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
And paper gets updated automatically...

That's my point about the spiral being obsolete. It's not gonna be any more current than your GPS.

It's a good backup plan for power usage reasons but it won't give you anything you can't get online.
I don’t disagree with what your saying, I’m trying to say you still need to use your brain and watch for hazards. Too many people blindly follow their GPS

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
The Garmin I have does that all the time - Ty he data base is full of errors. Rand McNally 740 doesn't.

It's a good backup plan for power usage reasons but it won't give you anything you can't get online
That's the deal isn't it? Except when the net gets hacked, power failures, etc. Your phone is an over glorified radio. What do you do when you drop it, and it blows up into a zillion pieces?

Too many people blindly follow their GPS
No ****! It's amazing the stupid **** people do when the little box tells them to.

Absolutely. Glance at the GPS but actually LOOK out the windows.
...and see what's there!

Don't forget that front section of the RMCA - that info may save yer bacon some day.

Hillbilly Canuck

The atlas can be the absolute cat's ass......if you're running in the U.S. This side of the border it is as useless as tits on a bull. I don't even know why they even bothered to print Canada maps since there is no information on or about them.

That said I've faired well up here with a combination of common sense, windows, extensive use of street views, and prior knowledge. I've yet to own a truck GPS. I will say though they are much much better about signing places you're ok as well as where they don't want you over here. A lot of the "no truck" signs here are planted for no reason other than spite though. That's where that "prior knowledge" comes in.

Latest posts