GPS App vs GPS Unit

SeaBass

Hello,

I'm new here and I work for a small company trying to create an app for Professional drivers.
Currently it's in Beta stages and only features a few things like Weather, Deals (Coupons),
Locations (Truck specific locations etc.) and Navigation (Truck Safe Nav.)

I am just polling if an app is preferred or is it easier to use a stand alone GPS Unit?
and if an App what would you like out of an App? I know there's plenty of choices out
there for you guys when it comes to apps but some still require fees here and there
for minor things. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

The app is not released yet but will be free once released.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I want a stand-alone GPS unit specifically for trucks and the challenges we face.

If there is ANY concern that it will get me into trouble, I will not even consider such an item.

Google maps is strictly a reference for me and a nice one for look at satellite images of where I want to go. That's it. In the truck, there is no trust in it for routing.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Hello,

I'm new here and I work for a small company trying to create an app for Professional drivers.
Currently it's in Beta stages and only features a few things like Weather, Deals (Coupons),
Locations (Truck specific locations etc.) and Navigation (Truck Safe Nav.)

I am just polling if an app is preferred or is it easier to use a stand alone GPS Unit?
and if an App what would you like out of an App? I know there's plenty of choices out
there for you guys when it comes to apps but some still require fees here and there
for minor things. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

The app is not released yet but will be free once released.
sorry to say, but i really do not use any devices that have apps. i have an ordinary pre-paid flip phone, and a stand alone GPS. my route is pretty well etched into stone, on a rare occasion when i need to hop off the highway, is when my GPS is of some help.

SeaBass

Well the app features a customized version of Co-Pilot called Truck Safe Navigation so the Navigation is specifically tailored
to navigate on Truck safe routes taking into consideration turns, bridge heights, gross weight on certain roads etc. but
can also be used for just regular car driving / walking too if wanted.

For now it's an app but we are currently working in the very near future to sell devices. I am just kind of polling
if there is an actual interest in a completely free option instead of a free app with small purchases here or there for
certain features.

I can also understand since you obviously need the phone / tablet for staying in contact is probably an inconvenient option too
to use it also for navigating and tracking mileage etc.

SeaBass

sorry to say, but i really do not use any devices that have apps. i have an ordinary pre-paid flip phone, and a stand alone GPS. my route is pretty well etched into stone, on a rare occasion when i need to hop off the highway, is when my GPS is of some help.
I can completely understand that. I noticed that a lot of people also still just use a regular map next to their actual GPS unit.
Also flip phones just last longer, battery life wise, compared to a smart phone.

SeaBass

I want a stand-alone GPS unit specifically for trucks and the challenges we face.

If there is ANY concern that it will get me into trouble, I will not even consider such an item.

Google maps is strictly a reference for me and a nice one for look at satellite images of where I want to go. That's it. In the truck, there is no trust in it for routing.
What are some of the challenges you (and your fellow drivers) face, we did poll some drivers but it would be nice to see some examples.
In the end all we want is to make life easier for you guys that's the whole purpose of the app.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Well the app features a customized version of Co-Pilot called Truck Safe Navigation so the Navigation is specifically tailored
to navigate on Truck safe routes taking into consideration turns, bridge heights, gross weight on certain roads etc. but

For now it's an app but we are currently working in the very near future to sell devices. I am just kind of polling
if there is an actual interest in a completely free option instead of a free app with small purchases here or there for
certain features.

I can also understand since you obviously need the phone / tablet for staying in contact is probably an inconvenient option too
yeah, the screen is so darned small on my flip phone, can hardly see the names i am selecting to call someone. but also, it's an added cost if i wanted to have mapping on it.

the younger generation may love apps.

then too, even many GPS units send drivers into areas, trucks do not belong, and supposedly are truck routes. too many drivers depending on a device to tell them where to turn..

case in point, i have a Rand McNally GPS, i always update it.

it insists the building i go to each night, is on the right, when it is actually on the left. this may not be an annoyance to some, but it drives me insane.

i cannot see any device to be 100% accurate, and there in, lies a problem...accidents.

yes, common sense would tell a person NOT to take a right and go into the drink, but many do, they swear by all these devices.

i wish you well with this.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
I can completely understand that. I noticed that a lot of people also still just use a regular map next to their actual GPS unit.
Also flip phones just last longer, battery life wise, compared to a smart phone.
many of us "old timers" learned how to get from point A to point B, by reading maps, and a general in our head, location guidance system. i forget the name of this, but we managed thru the years. today's drivers, or steering wheel holders to me, are lazy, and i think they cannot wait for self driving trucks. they do not use thier head, like we did, and still do.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
What are some of the challenges you (and your fellow drivers) face, we did poll some drivers but it would be nice to see some examples.
In the end all we want is to make life easier for you guys that's the whole purpose of the app.
routing on roads that are not really for trucks, bridges to cross over, that we cannot cross, left turn/right turn inaccuracies, actual miles to the destination, actual locations of scales, truck stops, rest areas. just to name some things i have run across in my use of a GPS. one more thing which is annoying, when new roads are set up as in a construction development site, they are not on the GPS. i had to find (while driving my car) one time a new warehouse club....i could plainly see it from the highway, as it was on top of a hill, but how to get there in my car, let alone a truck. still to this day (and it's been about 4 years now) it does not show up on my GPS as a valid road/street....!!

JunkYardDog5958

With cellular app you have no signal you have nothing. With stand alone true gps only if there is something blocking the sky will you not have it.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I could use an app , provided it is updated frequently . It would be great if the app also showed traffic conditions.

SeaBass

I could use an app , provided it is updated frequently . It would be great if the app also showed traffic conditions.
Yeah as we are currently testing it with a handful of drivers so we are obviously planning on frequent updates once it rolls out and the app currently will show traffic conditions too.

routing on roads that are not really for trucks, bridges to cross over, that we cannot cross, left turn/right turn inaccuracies, actual miles to the destination, actual locations of scales, truck stops, rest areas. just to name some things i have run across in my use of a GPS. one more thing which is annoying, when new roads are set up as in a construction development site, they are not on the GPS. i had to find (while driving my car) one time a new warehouse club....i could plainly see it from the highway, as it was on top of a hill, but how to get there in my car, let alone a truck. still to this day (and it's been about 4 years now) it does not show up on my GPS as a valid road/street....!!
the Truck Safe Nav we are currently testing has locations of scales, rest stops, rest areas and has a list which services what stop has too. I think when it comes to maps that's something the provider
of the maps should be on top of so I can understand your dilemma with new roads not showing up on GPS units or even Apps on phones especially after such a long period of time.

gps but it wont show you the short cuts or wants you to run 20 extra miles. my garmin is bad about that
I've noticed that same problem with for example Google Maps (for just regular use) that it will direct me in such inconvenient ways or says it's shorter but takes me so much longer to get to where I need to go.

With cellular app you have no signal you have nothing. With stand alone true gps only if there is something blocking the sky will you not have it.
The cellular app it also depends on if you use Offline maps or not, the app currently doesn't support offline maps (but working on that hardly) if an app has offline maps and you just have Location services / GPS turned on it SHOULD (emphasis on should) be able to guide you where you need to go (even without cellular signal / wi-fi) But I guess that also depends on what app you're using.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter

certain features.

I want a separate device for legal reasons. Same reason I don't want an e-log on my phone.

IF an accident occurs, any one of these devices can become evidence in a civil case. Which means it gets locked up and stored until it's no longer evidence.

If they need my eld, fine, easy enough to get another. Same with GPS or phone.

My smart phone has a lot of my business information on it. And for the same reason, I don't link my financials into via quickens cloud services.

I try to keep things compartmentalized enough so one thing failing won't effect another part of my business. It may seem wasteful at times, but it's a lot safer operationally.

SeaBass

I want a separate device for legal reasons. Same reason I don't want an e-log on my phone.

IF an accident occurs, any one of these devices can become evidence in a civil case. Which means it gets locked up and stored until it's no longer evidence.

If they need my eld, fine, easy enough to get another. Same with GPS or phone.

My smart phone has a lot of my business information on it. And for the same reason, I don't link my financials into via quickens cloud services.

I try to keep things compartmentalized enough so one thing failing won't effect another part of my business. It may seem wasteful at times, but it's a lot safer operationally.
I see, I can completely understand that too a phone is probably the last device to store very sensitive and important information for you guys. That's good to know .