New To Trucking Got cdl, never used it, moved to new state, renewed license is no longer cdl... can I get it back?

Hey all,

In 2014 I took a CDL course and got my class A when I was living in Illinois. In 2016 I moved in Arizona, and when I renewed my CDL, the place I went to was like a 3rd party DMV and they couldn't renew the class A, so they gave me a regular class D license. I do however still have class A Illinois license, it's not even expired yet...

Is there any way I can get my CDL A on my Arizona license, even though I renewed it as a class D?

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
3rd party DMV?

Regardless, you surrendered the class A and accepted the regular license. Call the office, but I am pretty sure you will have to take both the written and driving tests.

kpzra

3rd party DMV?

Regardless, you surrendered the class A and accepted the regular license. Call the office, but I am pretty sure you will have to take both the written and driving tests.
Some states (I only saw it in Alaska) have authorized businesses that can do basic transaction for the DMV, generally just renewals and address changes. They charge a fee (on top of DMV fees) but usually have shorter lines. This is the one where we lived to give you an idea.

UMV - Express DMV Solutions > The DMV that's all about U!

GAnthony

Supporter
Hey all,

In 2014 I took a CDL course and got my class A when I was living in Illinois. In 2016 I moved in Arizona, and when I renewed my CDL, the place I went to was like a 3rd party DMV and they couldn't renew the class A, so they gave me a regular class D license. I do however still have class A Illinois license, it's not even expired yet...

Is there any way I can get my CDL A on my Arizona license, even though I renewed it as a class D?
you gotta do everything all over again.

schooling, written tests, DMV road tests.

third party licensing places here are the AAA offices, for members only, and they certainly DO NOT renew, test, or anything else CDL related. this is all done AT the DMV......

the AAA offices WILL renew car drivers licenses, issue plates, registrations for car trucks, etc, again, for MEMBERS only.