Flatbed Going to a new job pulling flatbed

C DRIVER 33

Im going to start a new job pulling flatbed. Just a bit worried about tarping the loads because i never did it before. Is it as bad as everyone says? Also any tips or tricks for a big boy to do it? I weigh 350. My friend was saying it will be hard to do for a big guy. Should I be worried? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
If you're afraid of a hard Day's work and don't like getting dirty, this job ain't for you.

Go buy a 20' grade 70 chain and curl it for an hour. If you think tarping sucks.

Go grab an 80# tarp and toss it in the back seat of your car and take it out for 20-30 minutes.

Yeah it sucks.

Now go do all that when it's -20°F.

And again when it's 95°F+.

Don't forget, you get to do all this in the rain too.

Last edited:

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
It’s not that bad. Once you learn some tricks you can tarp a load in under an hour.

The biggest time saver is to only go up on top once. Have the shipper put your tarps up, climb up, kick them out, climb down, hang your tarp straps, fasten your tarp straps

Easy peasy

But yes, you will curse tarps. A lot.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Most the time, the only time I curse tarps is when I run in rain for 2 days then park where it’s 0 degrees. Then you end up having to stomp fold them and strap em to the deck like this.

Or picking up a pre tarped trailer that they half assed putting the tarp on like this. And you spend 2 hours because the tarp is frozen trying to fix it.

Other than that it isn’t too bad, just be real careful on top of loads, you don’t walk away from a 13ft fall with no injury.

C DRIVER 33

No im not afraid of hard work. I used to do construction for 15 years. I just had a friend who filled my head with a bunch of negativity about flatbead when I told him I was going to do it. But im ready to give it a go and see how I like it for myself. Thanks for all the replys. It eases my mind a little.

No im not afraid of hard work. I used to do construction for 15 years. I just had a friend who filled my head with a bunch of negativity about flatbead when I told him I was going to do it. But im ready to give it a go and see how I like it for myself. Thanks for all the replys. It eases my mind a little.
It has it's easy days and hard days.
I have picked up some where you throw for straps and go. Then some where I need 15 straps that have to be wrap around the load then have to put edge protectors and padding for tarps and then I have to get my 10ft tarps on top and then up and down the ladder to get my tarps aligned perfect which can take a while. Then put all tarp straps and don't get out for 3 hours. But I love it!

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
I agree, I love draggin a skateboard, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. Like any other job you take the good with the bad, but my worst day trucking has still been better than my Best day wrenching.

Ranger_375

Oh Ranger_375 Ranger_375 kpzra kpzra

What about them soup sandwich loads.....
He probably won't see those if he's a company man. Part of why we get paid what we do vs company drivers. When the load's 53 foot of freeway flying feces that includes the two forklifts used to load the rest of the jazz, things are "interesting" and require on the fly planning and understanding of how you can make the tetris stack so it all gets to the other end in one piece and on the deck.

Hillbilly Canuck

He probably won't see those if he's a company man. Part of why we get paid what we do vs company drivers. When the load's 53 foot of freeway flying feces that includes the two forklifts used to load the rest of the jazz, things are "interesting" and require on the fly planning and understanding of how you can make the tetris stack so it all gets to the other end in one piece and on the deck.
I was company but still had so many loads that were a **** show on wheels I wished my trailer had a dump hoist when I got to the other end. Could not get that hot garbage off me fast enough!

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Hahahaha! You think company guys don’t deal with trying to keep the Janga stack up on the trailer. Boy you live in fantasy land. Any lumber/hardware store DC pick a name for any of the majors and I have hauled out of there. Had upwards of 28 straps across zig zagged and wrapped around stuff tryin to keep it on the deck. It’s all completely random stuff Tetris-ed on there. And that’s just one example. So don’t think company guys don’t have to deal with headache loads because I do all the time.