GM strike brings layoffs to truckers in Canada

Mike

Staff member
A U.S. truckload carrier has temporarily laid off at least 40 drivers and five mechanics at its Canadian branch because of the strike by auto workers at General Motors (NYSE: GM) plants in the United States, a union official said.

Martin Transportation Systems issued the notice for employees at its Windsor, Ontario, facility on Sept. 17. Unifor, the union representing about 100 of the carrier’s Canadian employees, said the layoffs stemmed from the disruption of the carrier’s cross-border freight business between GM’s U.S. and Canadian facilities.

“Most of those affected handled routes back and forth to the Michigan plants directly affected by the GM strike,” said Manny Cardoso, a vice president with Unifor’s Local 444 in Windsor.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
A U.S. truckload carrier has temporarily laid off at least 40 drivers and five mechanics at its Canadian branch because of the strike by auto workers at General Motors (NYSE: GM) plants in the United States, a union official said.

Martin Transportation Systems issued the notice for employees at its Windsor, Ontario, facility on Sept. 17. Unifor, the union representing about 100 of the carrier’s Canadian employees, said the layoffs stemmed from the disruption of the carrier’s cross-border freight business between GM’s U.S. and Canadian facilities.

“Most of those affected handled routes back and forth to the Michigan plants directly affected by the GM strike,” said Manny Cardoso, a vice president with Unifor’s Local 444 in Windsor.

The GM Plant in Oshawa is scheduled to be shut down permanently in December 2019.
I am surprised the dumb sons of *****es didn't hold a sympathy strike.
IMO Gm may just close the plant early depending on how long the U.S. Strike lasts and how long it will take to get back online.

ZERO ****S GIVEN! **** GM and UNIFOR! (the former CAW= Canadian Auto Workers) :thefinger:

I feel bad for the drivers at Marten but, they have probably been screwed over many times by dog-****ing UAW and UNIFOR members at the gate and at the receiving docks.

SueAnn

Supporter
Does this mean there will be less Autobaun trucks on the road? Will we be safer?
I feel bad for the other drivers being laid off.

Duck

Custom title
Supporter
My aunt and my grandma depend on the GM pension for their income and health insurance. Otherwise I'd say shut 'em the **** down and give all their domestic assets to Ford.

This is how they spit in the face of the American taxpayers who bailed them out.

fcluke

That strike is bull. GM is one of the most popular trucks out there, and if the private sector doesn't buy there product, the military will eat it up

Nomad1

B()()()B
Supporter
That strike is bull. GM is one of the most popular trucks out there, and if the private sector doesn't buy there product, the military will eat it up
Historically the military never wanted any GM vehicle. They have to buy them to be fair. They can't just buy Ford and Dodge.

fcluke

GM is called GENERAL Motors for a reason....yes the military has to buy there fleet, and historically there are still running motorcade from wars of the past

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
GM is called GENERAL Motors for a reason....yes the military has to buy there fleet, and historically there are still running motorcade from wars of the past
Yeah, it's called General Motors because when it was started in 1908, Billy Durant was buying every car manufacturer he could get ahold of.

Duck

Custom title
Supporter
That changed to Government Motors after the bailout. Why do you think they started making electric garbage and cars that spy on you? :O_o: