New To Trucking Getting Back After 4 Years

nan

Supporter
I always get asked if I'm from Pennsylvania because I sound like I'm from Pennsylvania because I'm from Pennsylvania.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I wasn't a Prime company driver in 2012... told ya ya don't know nuthin'!

Commercial truck insurance is operating off of data that shows experienced drivers coming back from a multi-day layoff are more dangerous than new CDL holders. It's not the carrier one has to convince... it's their insurance provider. No insurance, no seat.
I'd like to see that data. Otherwise it's just another truck stop counter bullshit story.

lee32439

The 9 month period is not up for discussion with your employer. It's between you and ssdi. It gives you 9 months to determine if you can handle going back to work. It's a one time 9 month thing. After that you are dropped from SSDI and still have another 36 months to get back on SSDI without the hassle just no SSDI income after that first 9 months. And my diabetes was so bad that I had NO hassle. Applied in Feb, approved 6 weeks later. It's called the TICKET TO WORK PROGRAM and I hope I understood it correctly.

(I'm from Bristol, RI but we moved here in Florida in 2001)

GAnthony

Non-Canadian truck driver
Supporter
The 9 month period is not up for discussion with your employer. It's between you and ssdi. It gives you 9 months to determine if you can handle going back to work. It's a one time 9 month thing. After that you are dropped from SSDI and still have another 36 months to get back on SSDI without the hassle just no SSDI income after that first 9 months. And my diabetes was so bad that I had NO hassle. Applied in Feb, approved 6 weeks later. It's called the TICKET TO WORK PROGRAM and I hope I understood it correctly.

(I'm from Bristol, RI but we moved here in Florida in 2001)
oh, i thought the 9 months meant you can only work 9 months, take time off, then go back for another 9 months.

since now you say that you are a diabetic, you may only get a 3 month DOT card..that'll be a hassle each time you need to get a new one. you also have to hope, the clinic issuing you a new DOT card, faxes that information over to FL..

i dunno..proper eating/fluid intake as a diabetic can be tough at home...now on the road..??

frankly, i;d not chance that..

how about working on the docks ?? does FL require a forklift certification?

by the way, last time i was in Bristol, was the first Bristol 4th of July parade....and that was back in....1785..???

lee32439

Problem is I live in a mainly tourist area. 45 minutes to the nearest FedEx distribution point. If I can't make at least 900 a week it's not worth it, I'll go back to school. Its's a shame, too. Got all the endorsements (TX) and hazmat and had a TWIC. What a waste. It's just you get so far into debt on disability you get desperate to do something...

GAnthony

Supporter
Problem is I live in a mainly tourist area. 45 minutes to the nearest FedEx distribution point. If I can't make at least 900 a week it's not worth it, I'll go back to school. Its's a shame, too. Got all the endorsements (TX) and hazmat and had a TWIC. What a waste. It's just you get so far into debt on disability you get desperate to do something...
which is why so many just on regular SS go back to work. everything keeps going up, food, rent, insurances, home up keeping, and the list goes on.

just remember that you said you are a diabetic. i cannot tell you how to fill out applications, or the DOT physical paperwork, but if you lie on either, and an accident happens, it can be tried to get you fired for lying on the forms, and maybe black-balled.

wanna chance that scenario..??

how about a yardman's job, any food warehouses near you..??

any LTL companies near you..??

even if you have to drive 1 hour or up to 1.5 hours, at least you'd be home daily (or nightly) and can take care of that diabetes better, rather than to be on the road, and maybe run out of your meds.

lee32439

I am looking at plan B in case Thursday doesn't work out. Re-Train at a trade school, most likely, or try delivering auto parts. The later will be quite demeaning...Uber and the like is not working out for many in this area. I guess nickleing and dimeing my way to eBay riches is another thought...

Wow, a 3-month Cert...how much confidence does that show? I guess working at a 10-minute oil change store is an ego-builder. :(

The thing is my license expired in May (oops). To renew is $70.00 without endorsements, $81.25 with my CDL restored. If I get my reg. lic. now I pay the $70 now and if I get the doc's OK I pay the $81.25..

The thing that sucks is to wait to see if I get the OK & wait until then with no license at all while I wait (to save $)...Mean time, I can't apply to ANY job with an expired LIC. No one likes that scenario.

So I'm dead in the water either way, all the while depending on my doctor, who holds the key to my future.

I'll keep you all informed...thanks for all the input.

nan

Supporter
After 3 months off for my shoulder I had to take a road test with Schneider even though I never lost and renewed medical while off.

It's not a full CDL refresher but still it was a road test after just 90 days.

Mike

Staff member
After 3 months off for my shoulder I had to take a road test with Schneider even though I never lost and renewed medical while off.

It's not a full CDL refresher but still it was a road test after just 90 days.
I believe their actual limit is 30 days. I remember them telling us that if we took off for more than 30 days, we had to take a road test before we could access the load board again.

GAnthony

Supporter
I am looking at plan B in case Thursday doesn't work out. Re-Train at a trade school, most likely, or try delivering auto parts. The later will be quite demeaning...Uber and the like is not working out for many in this area. I guess nickleing and dimeing my way to eBay riches is another thought...

Wow, a 3-month Cert...how much confidence does that show? I guess working at a 10-minute oil change store is an ego-builder. :(

The thing is my license expired in May (oops). To renew is $70.00 without endorsements, $81.25 with my CDL restored. If I get my reg. lic. now I pay the $70 now and if I get the doc's OK I pay the $81.25..

The thing that sucks is to wait to see if I get the OK & wait until then with no license at all while I wait (to save $)...Mean time, I can't apply to ANY job with an expired LIC. No one likes that scenario.

So I'm dead in the water either way, all the while depending on my doctor, who holds the key to my future.

I'll keep you all informed...thanks for all the input.
actually, either working at an auto dealership, or say a NAPA store, delivering auto parts is a way in, to get to learn and then move up to the parts counter sales. and that type of job (auto parts sales) can be straight hourly with commission or salary with commission) so you would not want to earn money in a clean environment.???

i find it difficult to say that's a demeaning job, delivering auto parts.

i turned wrenches when i was younger, and i depended on the delivery driver(s) to bring me my auto parts.

so then, by what you said, would it be demeaning to be a mechanic as well.>???

one needs to not insult a segment of workers, that actually do a service to an industry, and HAVE a respectable job.

nan

Supporter
actually, either working at an auto dealership, or say a NAPA store, delivering auto parts is a way in, to get to learn and then move up to the parts counter sales. and that type of job (auto parts sales) can be straight hourly with commission or salary with commission) so you would not want to earn money in a clean environment.???

i turned wrenches when i was younger, and i depended on the delivery driver(s) to bring me my auto parts.

one needs to not insult a segment of workers, that actually do a service to an industry, and HAVE a respectable job.
My uncle delivers auto parts as a semi-retirement gig. He says he enjoys it.

My dad hauls Amish around when they need to go distances or get around quicker than the buggies can go as his semi-retirement gig. He also enjoys it.

There are different ways to make some cash out there.

Uber sucks. I tried it and didn't make squat after expenses. My dad makes more hauling the Amish around than I did doing the formal Uber and Lyft thing...and my car was brand new while his is an Odyssey that's too old for Uber.

lee32439

Well, I don't see any "Demeaning" there there unless you see that a trucker has to maybe drive a TINY pickup truck. Demeaning to myself.... And to add insult to injury I know nothing about mechanics. AND then it pays virtually nothing.

The only way see a plan B is to be a carpenters helper at the Gulf. 1) I've always wanted to learn about being a carpenter. 2) I found out that if I draw a sweat outside then that reduces my blood sugar...a LOT.

For my health I really need to get out more... :)

I

GAnthony

Supporter
My uncle delivers auto parts as a semi-retirement gig. He says he enjoys it.

My dad hauls Amish around when they need to go distances or get around quicker than the buggies can go as his semi-retirement gig. He also enjoys it.

There are different ways to make some cash out there.

Uber sucks. I tried it and didn't make squat after expenses. My dad makes more hauling the Amish around than I did doing the formal Uber and Lyft thing...and my car was brand new while his is an Odyssey that's too old for Uber.
i have already been in contact with 4 auto parts stores, regarding part time work as a delivery driver.

i want to keep a "little" busy when i retire, next month, or the month after that, or next year.....

GAnthony

Supporter
Well, I don't see any "Demeaning" there there unless you see that a trucker has to maybe drive a TINY pickup truck. Demeaning to myself.... And to add insult to injury I know nothing about mechanics. AND then it pays virtually nothing.

The only way see a plan B is to be a carpenters helper at the Gulf. 1) I've always wanted to learn about being a carpenter. 2) I found out that if I draw a sweat outside then that reduces my blood sugar...a LOT.

For my health I really need to get out more...
well, you certainly did not specify "demeaning" to yourself.

a job is a job, that either pays the bills, or offers one some time to keep on working, for say "beer money", or "mad money"....

driving a parts truck pays differently in all parts of this country.

you still just go on insulting a segment of people.

i think that deep down inside, you are pissed off at yourself and angry that YOU DID NOT take better control of your diabetes and got put onto disability, and you find any sort of work "demeaning", or BELOW your standards. all because YOU DID NOT take better care of yourself, and let the diabetes CONTROL YOU...

your blood sugar must be sky high as well....are you on ANY TYPE of insulin..???

how's your eye sight..???

if so, and even IF drivers that are insulin dependent, are allowed to drive, don't be too sure you will be hired.

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
well, you certainly did not specify "demeaning" to yourself.

a job is a job, that either pays the bills, or offers one some time to keep on working, for say "beer money", or "mad money"....

driving a parts truck pays differently in all parts of this country.

you still just go on insulting a segment of people.

i think that deep down inside, you are pissed off at yourself and angry that YOU DID NOT take better control of your diabetes and got put onto disability, and you find any sort of work "demeaning", or BELOW your standards. all because YOU DID NOT take better care of yourself, and let the diabetes CONTROL YOU...

your blood sugar must be sky high as well....are you on ANY TYPE of insulin..???

how's your eye sight..???

if so, and even IF drivers that are insulin dependent, are allowed to drive, don't be too sure you will be hired.
Are you done ragging on the guy for having the audacity to ask a question on a website that's primary purpose is for people to ask questions? :O_o:

Go eat some chef boyardee.

GAnthony

Supporter
Are you done ragging on the guy for having the audacity to ask a question on a website that's primary purpose is for people to ask questions? :O_o:

Go eat some chef boyardee.
well let's face it, he says that driving a small truck to deliver auto parts is demeaning, which in of itself, is an insult and offensive remark, to all those people that have a lower paying job than a big rig driver, like he's someone special.

no matter how special a person thinks HE IS, there is NO NEED to demean a group of working people that work a lower paying job.. and pay the bills and support themselves or a family.

what's next, make a demeaning remark about janitors, waitresses, bell hops, and cotton candy machine operators..??

to me, and his attitude , toward a lower wage earning group of person(s) is a direct insult to all of those people. in part of which i am sure at one time or another, he has actually had the experience of being served by some of them.

he goes to a garage to get his car fixed, and parts have to be delivered to that garage. do you think he goes from the garage to the auto parts store and returns to the garage with the parts..??

hell NO.

as i said, i think he's pissed off at himself for letting his diabetes get control of his life, which put him onto disability. let's face it, diabetes is a killer of the body, that may have already deteriorated to a point with him, and he's lashing out at people who have no reason to hear that crap.

also as i said, when i was a wrencher, i depended on the auto parts stores or dealerships delivery people...sure as a wrencher i made more money that a parts driver, but i still RESPECTED that those people were working, not slovenly slobs at the street corners begging for money....and i never found thier place in the working line chain as "demeaning"