New To Trucking Getting Back After 4 Years

lee32439

Would like to get back on the road driving teams. I live in Florida. 61 years old. Do I have a prayer?

lee32439

Thursday I see the Doctor will determine my future. A future where I can make 4 times a month then I am now on disability. (PS: I was gonna change the avatar to that adapter that let's you stack 45's)

GAnthony

Non-Canadian truck driver
Supporter
I'd say your odds are better than the odds that anyone under 40 knows what that yellow thing in your avatar is. 😁
it goes inside the round circle of a record that does not have the built in adapter to play the old 45's...

some record players had a pop up adapter.

but the more expensive record players, only played the bigger records, with the small centering hole.

that yellow thing in his avatar, would be used on record players that only played 78 rpm records.

obviously, you ain't as old as me....or HIM.....LOL......LOL.....LOL

GAnthony

Supporter
Thursday I see the Doctor will determine my future. A future where I can make 4 times a month then I am now on disability. (PS: I was gonna change the avatar to that adapter that let's you stack 45's)
you realize, this since you are on disability, you may loose that??

or at the very least, you do have to report your earnings, and they off set you disability checks.

which in turn, does what i said, cancels out your disability.

another thing too, is that when the employer finds out that you are on disability, the questions come up as to why you're getting it.

you may very well be denied jobs. they won't tell you that to your face, but they very well may say something like, "well we're taking applications at the time only"...

and then too your age.

again, that line above might very well be used, and that's age discrimination, but they won't out right say so.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter

or at the very least, you do have to report your earnings, and they off set you disability checks.

another thing too, is that when the employer finds out that you are on disability, the questions come up as to why you're getting it.

you may very well be denied jobs. they won't tell you that to your face, but they very well may say something like, "well we're taking applications at the time only"...

and then too your age.

again, that line above might very well be used, and that's age discrimination, but they won't out right say so.
The OP will need to have complete medical documentation of his disability available for the doctor who does his medical for a carrier that is looking at him as a new hire. It's best to have it with you.

A 4 year layoff means the OP is probably looking at completing refresher training in order to be insured. That being said it may be easier to get back in through one of the larger OTR carriers that does training, especially since freight volumes appear to be down right now.

GAnthony

Supporter
The OP will need to have complete medical documentation of his disability for the doctor who does his medical for a carrier that is looking at him as a new hire.

A 4 year layoff means the OP is probably looking at completing refresher training in order to be insured. That being said it may be easier to get back in through one of the larger OTR carriers that does training, especially since freight volumes appear to be down right now.
i was going to mention the refresher training, but i threw too much at him.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Driving a truck is like riding a bike.

I got back into the truck after 12 years being out. Every major trucking company said I had to pay for a refresher training. At a cost of $5,000 or better

I found a local 25 truck shop to work with and got back into the truck immediately without a refresher course.

It would kind of depend on what your disability is. First thing you should do is go find out if you even still have a CDL if you've let your physical lapse. If you find out you do still have a CDL, then go and try and pass a CDL physical. Your disabilities May limit you there or require you to get a skills performance evaluation (spe)

Last edited:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Writing a truck is like riding a bike.

I got back into the truck after 12 years being out. Every major trucking company said I had to pay for a refresher training. At a cost of $5,000 or better

I found a local 25 truck shop to work with and got back into the truck immediately without a refresher course.

It would kind of depend on what your disability is. First thing you should do is go find out if you even still have a CDL if you've let your physical lapse. If you find out you do still have a CDL, then go and try and pass a CDL physical. Your disabilities May limit you there or require you to get a skills performance evaluation (spe)
It all depends on you're ability to get insured. Telling any of these guys that their experience is all it takes to get back in is a disservice to all of them.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Oh bullshit.

Insurance plays a part. But so long as they have a clean record with no dui or dirty drug tests, one can get by with a lot more than people will ever admit.

If I had listened to everyone here as well as the recruiter for the major carriers, I'd have never gotten back into a truck.

There's other avenues to take. Open your thoughts and find them.

lee32439

and then too your age.

YEAH, I know the odds are against me. The "Ticket To Work" program says I can work with no loss of income for 9 months. The, I go off disability but have to 36 months to go back on it without re-applying. SSDI wants you back to work. (Or so I'm told. A call to my local SSDI lawyer might be wise).

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
YEAH, I know the odds are against me. The "Ticket To Work" program says I can work with no loss of income for 9 months. The, I go off disability but have to 36 months to go back on it without re-applying. SSDI wants you back to work. (Or so I'm told. A call to my local SSDI lawyer might be wise).
GAnthony is a total pessimist on stuff like this. I think it's withdrawal symptoms from Chef Boyardee products that make him get like that. Or maybe it's an east coast thing. He lives in Rhode Island. I bet he talks funny too. :coocoo:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Yeah, that's why I run a 4-truck fleet.

I did that in 2012 getting back into it. While you were still a prime company driver.
I wasn't a Prime company driver in 2012... told ya ya don't know nuthin'!

Commercial truck insurance is operating off of data that shows experienced drivers coming back from a multi-day layoff are more dangerous than new CDL holders. It's not the carrier one has to convince... it's their insurance provider. No insurance, no seat.

Last edited:

GAnthony

Supporter
GAnthony is a total pessimist on stuff like this. I think it's withdrawal symptoms from Chef Boyardee products that make him get like that. Or maybe it's an east coast thing. He lives in Rhode Island. I bet he talks funny too. :coocoo:
i am NOT a pessimist..

i just don't see it being easy or viable.

first, the op says he can work for 9 months, with out a loss of his disability.

who's gonna hire a person for such a short amount of time...??

certainly NO trrucking company, BUT maybe a temp agency

this is of course, if he can pass the physical. and/or can get clearance to even work.

GAnthony

Supporter
That's funny. I'm from Rhode Island and these southerners ask if I'm from England. If a tough accent to lose. :)
i always got asked if i was from Bahston, when they asked where was rhode island, when i'd be out mid-west...

i would tell them nope, from L.I. N.Y.

a little town called Rhode Island, at the near end of L.I.

that's why i sounded like a New Yorka.../New Joisian....