Galaxy 949

δtormβringer

New to cbs, is the galaxy 949 a good radio or would I be better off with the Dx959?
I want to use it as a tool and entertainment. Smokey reports, traffic reports or shooting the bull.

δtormβringer

Ok I ordered the DX 959 tuned and aligned with receiver work so what circle and antenna should I use for that Or should I amp it?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I'm a licensed ham radio operator. So you're going to get answers from me that **** you off.

Amping a CB is against FCC regs and put you "out of band".

I have hf radios capable of a legal 100 w of power. I do just fine with 2-5 watts and a good antenna set up. A well tuned and properly set up antenna will definitely miss re for you than any amp or radio.

There's so many high quality antenna on the market, it's like asking for a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge argument.

Research HOW to do a proper way to I the antenna and make sure it's done properly and you'll be way happier than anything else you can do.

δtormβringer

Thanks for the info I appreciate the response. Do you have any suggestions for that radio. I’m just trying to send and receiver clear and get some distance. It’s a tool that’s not being fully utilized. Thanks in advance

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I was thinking of going with the Wilson t2000 with the ten inch shaft and the Wilson 305-330 Rg8 Call coaxial or the monkeymade.
I have to mount it above the passengers door. What do ya’ll think.
That looks gross, to be honest

But I guess that’s the best you can hope for, with that truck

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
I'm a licensed ham radio operator. So you're going to get answers from me that **** you off.

Amping a CB is against FCC regs and put you "out of band".

I have hf radios capable of a legal 100 w of power. I do just fine with 2-5 watts and a good antenna set up. A well tuned and properly set up antenna will definitely miss re for you than any amp or radio.

There's so many high quality antenna on the market, it's like asking for a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge argument.

Research HOW to do a proper way to I the antenna and make sure it's done properly and you'll be way happier than anything else you can do.

I agree with this.

Except nobody really cares about truckers and CB. The regs are mainly for base stations and really only acted on when some guy with a massive skip shooter on his roof starts messing with his neighbors TV while he’s transmitting.

The FCC gots way better things to do.

δtormβringer

That’s cool but at the risk of offending the licensed Ham operators I have decided to put a small amp on my system. I’m always on the road and I want to be able to get out further and with more power.

PreachaMan

It is what It is.im not the FCC I'm just a cb shop guy I say if u wanna run 4 watts then ok.if you wanna run 1500-3500 watt Dave made box amps or motor mauls that's your biz.
I want my ham license but I'm not these old guys that tell on others for exceeding your watts while talking.

PreachaMan

BTW I like the 959 over the 949 mainly I love the freq counter .only thing about these Galaxy's is they drift off freq some esp on ssb.