Funny ELD issues, Self certification at it's best....

Mike

Staff member

Plenty stuff here that would get you tickets if you showed it on a paper log. Hope the DOT gives you a break for the falsified information showing up on these things.

Mike

Staff member
First part gets into the issus flying around out here, then it goes into and out of ELD stuff.

RDBG

Like when mine failed to log a fuel stop even though I shut the truck off?

What happens when your ELD malfunctions?
Mine has done that. It's also decided it would not record drive time at all. It's also decided to make a **** load of off duty time driving time when it couldn't figure a location as I rolled out. It has frozen. Best of all It's had days where it recorded ok but split my mileage into 5 or 6 random segments that didn't add up at all.

This is WAY simpler and safer than the logical way.

Mike

Staff member
The disturbing part of all these glitches is how DOT will deal with it if they happen to take a look.

If you put that you are 3,000 miles north of Puerto Rico on you paper log, you are getting a ticket. If you go into the sleeper in one location, and wake up in an entirely different location, you are getting a ticket.

so, now, if your ELD shows you doing this because it decided to randomly move you 4-5 times while you were in the bunk, is this a log violation?

Or, do we ignore electronic mistakes, even though we made a career out of writing citations for human mistakes?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Supposedly the cops have been "trained"

:thumbsup:
:rolllaugh:

You could declare the thing broken, switch to paper, and for serious CYA, email the problem to the ELD vendor instead of calling them. Print out a copy of all emails in advance concerning the problem for the flatfeet for if and when the decide to give you the 3rd degree.

Quite the conundrum, eh?

In 8 days the problem disappears as far as the roadside guys are concerned, but retain all paperwork in your files against the possibility of a compliance audit.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
Supposedly the cops have been "trained"

:thumbsup:
:rolllaugh:

You could declare the thing broken, switch to paper, and for serious CYA, email the problem to the ELD vendor instead of calling them. Print out a copy of all emails in advance concerning the problem for the flatfeet for if and when the decide to give you the 3rd degree.

Quite the conundrum, eh?

In 8 days the problem disappears as far as the roadside guys are concerned, but retain all paperwork in your files against the possibility of a compliance audit.
Auditor: "So your ELD malfunctioned for a few days in January?"

You: "Yep!" *hands over paperwork documenting problems

Auditor: "And it appears you didn't swap out the unit, but just started using it again a few days later?"

You: "Uh, huh!"

Auditor: *hands you paperwork documenting problems " I don't think this will be needed. ' *Proceeds to document falsification of logs.

^Thankfully, the auditors seem to be a tad more intelligent and more able to grasp difficult concepts than the ticket-happy roadside idiots, but when the big wigs start applying pressure about falling ticket revenue, things are, to paraphrase this guy:
1516403954301.png

go to get a bit ducky. (replacing the 4th letter of the alphabet with 6th is necessary to retain the integrity of this reference)

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
As intelligent as you appear to be, IMO there are times that you come off as a total dumbass.

This is one of them.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
As intelligent as you appear to be, IMO there are times that you come off as a total dumbass.

This is one of them.
*tit for tat removed*

Ok, let's see....

<\humor>
You really think that just documenting an ELD issue and then just continuing to run said unit isn't going to raise a red flag? Especially if it involves an apparent HOS issue? With your background especially, you know how short-sighted bureaucrats can be, and that's not an area I'd want to be taking a lot of risk with assuming they will understand the situation. <humor>

Is that better, with the humor turned off?

1516407252515.png

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
*tit for tat removed*

Ok, let's see....

<\humor>
You really think that just documenting an ELD issue and then just continuing to run said unit isn't going to raise a red flag? Especially if it involves an apparent HOS issue? With your background especially, you know how short-sighted bureaucrats can be, and that's not an area I'd want to be taking a lot of risk with assuming they will understand the situation. <humor>

Is that better, with the humor turned off?

View attachment 43098
And exactly why would you contact an ELD vendor except to resolve the issue?

Come on, you're smarter than this.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
And exactly why would you contact an ELD vendor except to resolve the issue?

Come on, you're smarter than this.
IP, I'm looking at this from the point of view of an auditor. If it's a one time thing, and obvious that there weren't HOS issues, no big deal. But if this is a recurring issue and the unit is never changed out, wouldn't you start wondering what was being pulled? It seems to me as if this would be an easy way to try and hide violations, say running a few hours down the road because a shipper hung you up in the dock for half the day. A few emails would sure make it looked a lot more legit. I've known guys to go to ridiculous lengths to make cheating on paper work, and this would be even easier to create a fake trail.

I don't even want to think about what a nightmare it would be on roadside... We all know a fair percentage of DOT guys can't find their backside using both hands. There's going to plenty of idiocy when dealing with normal ELDs, much less obscure malfunctions. And we all know the default is OOS when in doubt.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
There's a good deal of ELD functionality residing on a vendor's server, depending on the system architecture, as well. So while a given problem may lie in the hardware, it can also be part of the supporting software. You're going to have to deal with the vendors technical support at some point - if for no other reason than to arrange for return of faulty hardware.

What I'm suggesting (and I was attempting to do this without writing a couple editions worth of the Encyclopedia Britannia) was that just making a phone call to a vendor is not enough. As we all know, gubbermint auditors aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack. When it comes to regulatory issues, the existence of a phone call can be disputed - to your detriment. Email leaves a chain of documentation that's much harder to dispute. Having copies of emails to your ELD vendor available not only for a roadside moron, but down the road for some numbnuts auditor in a compliance audit may well be the difference between getting rid of a nuisance, or extracting yourself from a regulatory nightmare.

Last edited:

dchawk81

There's a good deal of ELD functionality residing on a vendor's server, depending on the system architecture, as well. So while a given problem may lie in the hardware, it can also be part of the supporting software. You're going to have to deal with the vendors technical support at some point - if for no other reason than to arrange for return of faulty hardware.

What I'm suggesting (and I was attempting to do this without writing a couple editions worth of the Encyclopedia Britannia) was that just making a phone call to a vendor is not enough. As we all know, gubbermint auditors aren't the brightest bulbs in the pack. When it comes to regulatory issues, the existence of a phone call can be disputed - to your detriment. Rmsil leaves a chain of documentation that's much harder to dispute. Having copies of emails to your ELD vendor available not only for a roadside moron, but down the road for some numbnuts auditor in a compliance audit may well be the difference between getting rid of a nuisance, or extracting yourself from a regulatory nightmare.
I'll have to try that "Rmsil" thing.

Mike

Staff member
We have been known to get written up for form and manner violations due to writing a number down wrong. We will be held accountable for the mistakes being made by these self certified ELD units.