From 5 years of paperlogs to ELD

Knight_Rider

So I drove on paper logs for 5 years 3 of which were as an owner operator.

I then left trucking in 2016 and returned now in 2018 due to wanting to buy my own truck again as trucking gave me more freedom with family time than any other job.

I hear alot of people yacking about how great elogs are and how they keep drivers safe from stress and tiredness etc etc etc..

Well let me tell you, and I’m only speaking from just 1 month of being on ELD’s....

The only good point it has thus far is that many smaller carriers have raised their driver pay in order to compete with bigger outfits.

That in turn has allowed the drivers to take a small sigh of relief who ran breathlessly on paperlogs to make a living previously.

But, sadly, we all know that the driver pay is meaningless if you wait 6 hours after driving 1 hour from taking a 10 hour break... well.. you either have to become a zombie and drive odd shifts or get some decent sleep... nonethless the pay comes out to about the same but the stress factor has gone up exponentially.

Unless an owner op.. it just doesn’t seem worth the money anymore.

To run a decent family... I say this because I know some single guy living in a small house in the deep south or north will chime in about how Im wrong and the money is awesome.. 😂😂

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
ELDs screw everything up. Before when you hit an accident or bad weather you could fix your book and make appointments. Best trick I found was keep it kicked to Canadian HOS. Once I learned that one no more log violations.

I think my first trip on out on ELDs I blew my 8 hours without taking a 30 minute break because of a snowstorm. Then at the end of the day I blew my 11 hour drive clock trying to find the dang truck stop. THEN I blew my 14 hour day clock. Never would have gotten any violations on paper

Got tickets for not carrying paper logs, too.

But it’s “safer” and “will be cheaper and easier”

ELDs suck :cautious:

What the heck you ‘sposed to do for 30 minutes, anyway? Just sit there?

dchawk81

Supporter
My Qualcomm went down different times. I had to run paper. It sucked.

My job didn't change but all of a sudden I'm wasting time drawing lines over a shaky steering wheel instead of punching a button and going.

Drawing 15 minute increments and trying to write in the tiny spaces provided sucked too.

ELD is real time. If it took 5m 37s it logs 5m 37s. Not 15 minutes because of the minimum block size.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
If you're logging legal in the first place, it isn't a problem. Like mndriver mndriver said, it just requires putting th' ol' brain in gear prior to pushing th' knobs in.

dchawk81

Supporter
I earned more money running with an ELD legal than I did on Paper log running legal.
If you have a hard time running legal then your issue is not with ELD's it is with HOS.
Or leave the check-in chicks alone. They're not interested in you, you're not funny or charming, and you're holding up the line.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
They should have included some spare looseleaf digital data pages for folks who can't think....

Knight_Rider

I earned more money running with an ELD legal than I did on Paper log running legal.
If you have a hard time running legal then your issue is not with ELD's it is with HOS.
Only because the pay rates have gone up since ELD’s started goin into effect. Sure some people
Will
Make a few extra bucks. Nothing to write home about.

Knight_Rider

BTW HOS itself didn't change. You're just required to be more honest on ELD.
No my friend... it isnt about honesty... its about money and control.

The biggest truck companies have bribed, Im sorry, lobbied congress to pass these laws so the playing field is even between billion dollar corporations and small
Companies.... right.

Lane Kids, the guy who is the head of all the bribing of congress to pass these laws said it himself. Has literally nothing to do with you being honest.

The main issue at hand isnt even elogs or paperlogs... ive used them both for ages.

Its the HOS which when put into elogs... makes it such a tight crunch in terms of time that it will create wild driving conditions.

Im even seeing it now ... truckers driving like theres no tomorrow and this wasnt very common place when people werent pushing for every single minute to count.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Seems you deleted your comments I was trying to quote.

I'd say someone just doesn't like being held to the standards and is whining about being told what to do.

I came back out with the personal point of view I wasn't going to go all renegade like I did before I came off the road.

Life happens on the road. Either make plans for it, or continue to be set to task to deal with it. I'd rather preplan for a lost 2-3 hours a day for accidents. It's not IF they will happen but when.

Pad the day with them already in there, you'll be much better off at the end of the day when you're suddenly 3-4 hours ahead of schedule.

Honestly, I don't expect you to wrap your head around that concept.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
ELDs screw everything up. Before when you hit an accident or bad weather you could fix your book and make appointments. Best trick I found was keep it kicked to Canadian HOS. Once I learned that one no more log violations.

I think my first trip on out on ELDs I blew my 8 hours without taking a 30 minute break because of a snowstorm. Then at the end of the day I blew my 11 hour drive clock trying to find the dang truck stop. THEN I blew my 14 hour day clock. Never would have gotten any violations on paper

Got tickets for not carrying paper logs, too.

But it’s “safer” and “will be cheaper and easier”

ELDs suck :cautious:

What the heck you ‘sposed to do for 30 minutes, anyway? Just sit there?
I "prefer" PAPER myself..

One "FAILURE" of ELD MANDATE is that GOVERNMENT "Failed" to "CERTIFY" any "device"..

"Omnitracs" is what most Small to Large Corporations go for..

Yet no "official" DEVICE "recognitiin"

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Only because the pay rates have gone up since ELD’s started goin into effect. Sure some people
Will
Make a few extra bucks. Nothing to write home about.
No you are wrong! I was on ELD before it was mandatory and there for before pay rates went up. Write home? No go run tell dat!

Knight_Rider

My Qualcomm went down different times. I had to run paper. It sucked.

My job didn't change but all of a sudden I'm wasting time drawing lines over a shaky steering wheel instead of punching a button and going.

Drawing 15 minute increments and trying to write in the tiny spaces provided sucked too.

ELD is real time. If it took 5m 37s it logs 5m 37s. Not 15 minutes because of the minimum block size.
Well hell man looks like you got
It down to an art... 😁😎
Seems you deleted your comments I was trying to quote.

I'd say someone just doesn't like being held to the standards and is whining about being told what to do.

I came back out with the personal point of view I wasn't going to go all renegade like I did before I came off the road.

Life happens on the road. Either make plans for it, or continue to be set to task to deal with it. I'd rather preplan for a lost 2-3 hours a day for accidents. It's not IF they will happen but when.

Pad the day with them already in there, you'll be much better off at the end of the day when you're suddenly 3-4 hours ahead of schedule.

Honestly, I don't expect you to wrap your head around that concept.
Haha.. I only deleted it because I wanted to reply seperately. Just an FYI I was a district manager for napa auto and pepboys till 2012 when i left corporate world due to my mother’s passing. I became a dost manager at age 26 and I was 33 when I left it
All...

My point being that time
Management and using computers is not a hard thing for someone running 7 stores and shops with over 200+ employees all of which is run by a WAN system that made everything live from scheduling to payroll hours and everything in between.

I was one to think ELD’s would make things better as I am a technocrat myself but trust me.... this is going to get real bad soon.

Whomever put this HOS rules as they are into a digital logging system thinking somehow they will tame and conjure all the variables on the road into 1 in Unison....was either a pencil
Pusher with no OTR experience or it was done to putposely demolish small companies.

Knight_Rider

No you are wrong! I was on ELD before it was mandatory and there for before pay rates went up. Write home? No go run tell dat!
Haha yes sure. Well Om glad you’re happy making an extra few hundred dollars a month good
For you man. Seriously. Not every company driver is as lucky im sure.

Knight_Rider

Guys trust me.... ELD’s is perfect for owner operators. This is literally the best market and opportunity for owner ops Ive seen yet...

But for most again i say “most” company drivers and small fleet owners... not looking so rosy.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
As was pointed out. The eld isn't the issues. The HOS have been as they are since 2002. And even before that, not much different.

Even law enforcement knew they weren't followed back years ago even before I started 28 years ago

All elds are doing is showing how broken and stupid the laws really are.

If you don't see the growing pains that will be taking 3-8 years to work through as a result of this change, I don't know what to say.

Just that a trucker that's not *****ing isn't a happy one

So happy *****ing. And enjoy your drive.