Freightliner Fridge

49players

How long do Freightliner fridges usually last? Mine is only a year old and shut off after being parked a day. Freezer started cooling when I started truck up so Im hoping it starts cooling.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
An actual fridge or a plug in cooler?

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Check your electrical draw and load test your batteries. It sounds like the battery protection relay kicked in and shut all nonessential equipment down because your battery voltage went too low.

GAnthony

Supporter
How long do Freightliner fridges usually last? Mine is only a year old and shut off after being parked a day. Freezer started cooling when I started truck up so Im hoping it starts cooling.
when i had my shaker, back then, there was no DPF/DEF. so it would take about 3-4 days before my fridge would shut down. (i never had anything more than water/sodas in it, as i always took my foods out).

with todays trucks, i was told by my current shop, that he DEF tank has a warmer, and that stays on all the time, to keep the fluid warm. that and the fridge are drawing too much current, draining your batteries, to near the level, you need them for starting. since it is warmer now, maybe you can have the DEF warmer disconnected?

and you may also have a parasitic draw as well. you can test that with an amp gauge that has a clamp that goes around the battery cable, OR, you can disconnect the positive battery cable for an inline amp gauge, OR you can insert a voltage meter, and see how much voltage is being drawn, and one by one, remove a fuse to see if the volts drop. that'll most likely be the culprit circuit. for breakers, just shut those off one at a time.

this can take a while...so be prepared to work at it.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
What does the new emissions have to do with the fridge?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
What does the new emissions have to do with the fridge?
has more to do with what Injun Injun described.

So many parasitic electrical systems on the new trucks, some related to emissions, some not.

It's likely the batteries just got low and it went into protection mode.

Sinister

Staff member
Supporter
That’s what I was thinking also, I’m just trying to follow the logic with the emissions comment.

Not sure there’s any to follow.