Freightliner Columbia 2006, fuel tanks not equalizing

Duck

Custom title
Supporter
It was a joke not a dick.
Yyyyyeah, that's kinda why I put the laughy face reaction thingy on it. 🙄

Shooting Star

Hi,
I am new to driving a truck. Just purchased this Freightliner Columbia, with Mercedes engine, has duel 70 gal tanks. The fuel gauge seems to be reading off the drivers side tank, but when I stopped to fill (gauge read 1/4 tank), my pass side tank was still full. I saw some posts about a clogged vent as a possibility, but when I open the pass side tank cap - should it not then allow it to equalize? or does it use a transfer pump? Any advice appreciated!
I saw this and it brought back memories. One tank full and the other empty......oops. You learn fast that there's a switch you need to have opened up to use both tanks....and check the vent.
If you are just starting driving, it, to me, was the most rewarding job ever! I drove 48 states for a few years after I raised my 3 kids. 2, of which I trained to be class A drivers. My oldest daughter is still driving semi. She started 20 years ago. Just think of it as you have new pictures on your wall every mile you go. People have to purchase pictures for your walls at home. These pictures are priceless and so worth the drive! Being a "paid tourist" is a fantastic way to go. Being a woman truck driver in 1978 for a year then again 21 years later....Wow, what a blast! Enjoy the ride! You'll never get a better view of the land you live!!

RChesnutt

Hey all, thanks for all the tips and advice. So I have learned Freightliner uses a patented "equil-flow" system. Yes I checked vents - but also agree with you all that said opening the cap on the full tank should let them equalize - except on this FL system there is no crossover line. I open/closed the individual shut off valves a few times and it seems like this helped. I need to get her back on the road for a longer time and then check levels. thanks very much!