Following a Skinny Dog's Journey

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #61
75 days later
Still some weight to add, but what a huge difference.

20170415_004820.jpg
20170415_004857.jpg

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #64
Okay, so Sugar has been with me and my friend for a little over three months. She has gained four pounds, lots of energy and is becoming too much dog for my friend to handle. The day I got her, a friend I work with saw her and fell in love with her immediately. His house wasn't quite ready for a bigger dog at the time. He had an elderly cat and a tiny Yorkshire Terrier. I didn't know how Sugar would be with other dogs. Or cats. So I took her to at least foster her until she could get past the horrible conditions she had been living in, so I could get her healthy and so that I could assess her temperament.

When she first got into my friend's home, she was unsure of herself. She would greet me at the door, but not really be excited. Her tail would wave in a low position and she would sniff and then go lay down. Now, when I come in, I see a dog who is so happy to see me she jumps up and down, her tail whips back and forth up high and the whole dog wags with it. What a change in her demeanor. She still needs about six pounds. Her weight gain has been slow but steady and I'm sure it will continue until she is a perfect, healthy weight.

She is a wonderful dog. She has bounced back from her previous life, seemingly, as if it never happened. She is showing interest in playing with the ball, she loves playing with the other dog and is gentle with her, she is perfectly house trained and, as long as limitations are reinforced, she is mannerly and minds well. She has been developing some bad yard habits with the instigation of the smaller dog, most notably, barking and raising her back hair at the neighbors and throwing herself at the fence, which scares the lady on one side because she's so big. The little white dog is the brains of the operation, the bigger black dog is the mouth and muscle. My friend can't make the two of them stop doing that and my fear is if the behavior is allowed to continue, it will evolve into a bad situation for Sugar and for the neighbors. It needs to be stopped now.

Meanwhile, the elderly cat has passed. My work friend is an active outdoor guy who loves to hike and kayak. His wife is a homemaker and has every bit as much energy as her husband. The Yorkie can't keep up with outdoor activities...and my friend who has been harboring her can't keep up with the energy level Sugar has developed. It's time for Sugar to go to her forever family.

I have carefully vetted the home. She will get to sleep on the bed, she will be a full member of the family, she will get to go hiking and kayaking, she will have all the attention and love she can handle. She will have direction and structure. I am confident she will have a great life.

It's bittersweet to see her go. But this is the absolute best thing that can happen to her. Today, she will go home for good. I love a success story.

Here is how she looks today..

20170506_093723.jpg
20170506_093750.jpg

Okay, so Sugar has been with me and my friend for a little over three months. She has gained four pounds, lots of energy and is becoming too much dog for my friend to handle. The day I got her, a friend I work with saw her and fell in love with her immediately. His house wasn't quite ready for a bigger dog at the time. He had an elderly cat and a tiny Yorkshire Terrier. I didn't know how Sugar would be with other dogs. Or cats. So I took her to at least foster her until she could get past the horrible conditions she had been living in, so I could get her healthy and so that I could assess her temperament.

When she first got into my friend's home, she was unsure of herself. She would greet me at the door, but not really be excited. Her tail would wave in a low position and she would sniff and then go lay down. Now, when I come in, I see a dog who is so happy to see me she jumps up and down, her tail whips back and forth up high and the whole dog wags with it. What a change in her demeanor. She still needs about six pounds. Her weight gain has been slow but steady and I'm sure it will continue until she is a perfect, healthy weight.

She is a wonderful dog. She has bounced back from her previous life, seemingly, as if it never happened. She is showing interest in playing with the ball, she loves playing with the other dog and is gentle with her, she is perfectly house trained and, as long as limitations are reinforced, she is mannerly and minds well. She has been developing some bad yard habits with the instigation of the smaller dog, most notably, barking and raising her back hair at the neighbors and throwing herself at the fence, which scares the lady on one side because she's so big. The little white dog is the brains of the operation, the bigger black dog is the mouth and muscle. My friend can't make the two of them stop doing that and my fear is if the behavior is allowed to continue, it will evolve into a bad situation for Sugar and for the neighbors. It needs to be stopped now.

Meanwhile, the elderly cat has passed. My work friend is an active outdoor guy who loves to hike and kayak. His wife is a homemaker and has every bit as much energy as her husband. The Yorkie can't keep up with outdoor activities...and my friend who has been harboring her can't keep up with the energy level Sugar has developed. It's time for Sugar to go to her forever family.

I have carefully vetted the home. She will get to sleep on the bed, she will be a full member of the family, she will get to go hiking and kayaking, she will have all the attention and love she can handle. She will have direction and structure. I am confident she will have a great life.

It's bittersweet to see her go. But this is the absolute best thing that can happen to her. Today, she will go home for good. I love a success story.

Here is how she looks today..

View attachment 40220 View attachment 40221
Great job.

I would tell her to work on that little white one about the fence and neighbors. Get between her and the fixation and make her (?) Concentrate on you not the outside stimulus. After you have her attention pusher off the fence then walk her back calmly. Have the neighbor walk in and out the gate.

People let small dogs get away with stuff(may not be the case here but in general) because they are little. Regardless they need to be civilized or they will get out of hand.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #67
Yeh, missed you this trip.Looks like you got an early start today. I ended up not getting out until after 11 Pacific. You were probably in Montana by then.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Thread starter #69
First night home... Sugar got to go run in the park, meet the neighbors, snuggle on the couch, sleep in the bed and got a special canned food treat with her dinner. Oh, and she gets ice cubes in her water. FFS. Talk about spoiled. :rolleyes:

Her new "dad" is really amazed with how compliant she is once she understands what is expected of her. She warmed right up to him. Her new "mom" will take a little more time. I get the feeling she was once a man's dog because she seems to take to men faster than women. Considering the treatment she got at the hands of a woman, I can't say I blame her. But it won't take long at all for her to come around.

I am absolutely tickled pink that such a wonderful dog gets to have such an awesome life, especially after what she has weathered.

Keendriver

Hates all of you
Dogs are awesome and you did a great job.

You get a whole bag of "atta girl" points!

About a year and half ago we adopted a three legged black lab female.
(I think it's a safety option in case you drop the leash.....the dog walks in circles.)
I get the "look" from my wife when I say this.....
We think she was hit by a car. I say think, because the sizable stack that comprises her medical records makes no mention of the missing limb.:dunno:
She's just the opposite of Sugar as she is a Mama's girl. She likes me just fine, but if we're all in one room and my wife gets up and goes into another room....well, I'm on my own cuz she has to make sure Mom doesn't get out of her sight.

Dogs are AWESOME!