FMCSA's Martinez answers questions about ELD mandate at House hearing

Mike

Staff member
Babin pointed out that while FMCSA has called the ELD mandate a safety issue it has granted numerous exemption requests or waivers to such groups as the Truck Rental and Leasing Association, Old Dominion Freight Lines, agriculture haulers, livestock and insect haulers, the Motion Picture Association of America, and Rail Delivery Service Inc., in California. Babin then asked if FMCSA planned to grant OOIDA’s five-year exemption request for small business truckers with excellent safety records or to include agriculture retailers in the 150-mile farm exemption.

“The Motion Picture Association of America doesn’t have to worry about ELDs for five years,” Babin said. “The same goes for the California private company Rail Delivery Service.

“Is FMCSA going to give (small-business truckers and ag retailers) the same good treatment they gave Hollywood film studios and grant these exemption requests?”

Martinez said that the agency was still reviewing the individual exemption requests.

FMCSA's Martinez answers questions about ELD mandate at House hearing

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
So basically, I don’t really want to answer that...moving on.

Mike

Staff member
So basically, I don’t really want to answer that...moving on.
Pretty much.

I think all the exemptions that have been given out are mostly BS. Not mad at the folks who are getting the exemptions, but most of them are doing nothing that would make it difficult to be on an ELD. If that much of the industry needs to be exempted, exempt everyone until you have a better system in place.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
So in all those BS "Listening Sessions" years ago, the big thing that was pointed out to the gubbermintal nimrods was the need for some flexibility in the HOS regs.

Now what are these assholes proposing now that they have everyone (except favored toadies) locked up in an ELD box?

Flexibility.

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
Why does ODFL get a pass? It’s just a freight hauiling outfit like any other...

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Why does ODFL get a pass? It’s just a freight hauiling outfit like any other...
Like most things... I'd bet if one follows the money, they'd get an answer.