FMCSA says no more unplugging you ELD on hometime

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
No the reason we are logging out is because we're taking it with us and when our personal vehicle moves, it'll kick to drive automatically.

Not something you want when you're just driving home or getting groceries or forget to hide it under the sofa when you're going to the lake.

Maybe the people at Schneider don't really know what they bought but they told us we need to be sure to log out because of that.
They don't want your slipseater driving on your hours.

Roguevan

I don’t got a link to support this.

Safety said the FMCSA doesn’t allow the truck ELD to be unplugged anymore on hometime.

Safety said log out and do whatever you want still, just don’t assign any of the unassigned driving time to yourself, like normal

I don’t know what changed and I’m not going to look it up to find out
I gotta believe that part of the reason is IFTA. Crossing a state line with the unit unplugged probably ruffles feathers somewhere, states want their fuel tax contributions. As if they're gonna use it responsibly :rolleyes-80:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I gotta believe that part of the reason is IFTA. Crossing a state line with the unit unplugged probably ruffles feathers somewhere, states want their fuel tax contributions. As if they're gonna use it responsibly :rolleyes-80:
That's different, and IFTA reporting has nothing to do with an ELD. Unplugging youe ELD is a violation of 395.15, the section on HOS driving hours recorded by an electronic device. You don't ever get to drive around with an unplugged ELD in a commercial vehicle, no matter where you're at or what you're doing.

Driving with an unplugged ELD will still be detected, and all it does is creates a record of unclaimed driving hours. Those hours still have to be accounted for.

Last edited:

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I said during hometime, not while on the road. But I see your point

I don’t think it’s a big deal one way or the other. Nobody in the USA checks logbooks anymore. And nobody seems to care how many log violations you wrack up. :dunno:

I’m sure someday somebody might ask why there’s a few thousand hours of unassigned drive time, but that day hasn’t happened yet

Roguevan

That's different, and IFTA reporting has nothing to do with an ELD. Unplugging youe ELD is a violation of 395.15, the section on HOS driving hours recorded by an electronic device. You don't ever get to drive around with an unplugged ELD in a commercial vehicle, no matter where you're at or what you're doing.

Driving with an unplugged ELD will still be detected, and all it does is creates a record of unclaimed driving hours. Those hours still have to be accounted for.
My IFTA information comes directly from my ELD. I have a Qualcomm and it takes care of recording distances driven in states on each trip, and when. Combined with my Comdata card which shows when, where, and how much was fueled. IFTA reports made easy. But my ELD definitely plays a big part.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
But my ELD definitely plays a big part.
Only because you choose to obtain you're driven miles data from the ELD because of its reliance on GPS. You should be aware that in an IFTA audit, the government considers GPS mileage data off by up to 10% - in their favor, of course. You'll get a bill. You might want to gin up some trip sheets, and not mention "GPS" if you ever get hauled into an audit.

Bizertown

We're gonna be tablet based here soon, and the tablet stays with us. Since it automatically triggers at 5mph we're gonna have to sign out and shut them down before going home in our cars.

Yes I know it's personal driving and doesn't count but it blows the whole don't unplug don't shut it down thing out of the water.

Same goes for the guys running regular smartphone based ELDs.

So....

Lady Doe

I hear the FEDS can go into the system and look at your HOS without even being inside your truck. To make sure your are running legal. FMCSA is killing the drivers, They are putting all this safety mess on the shoulders of the drivers. There are too many other players in the industry. Shipping receiving BROKERS, accidents road work , bad traffic, MOST OF ALL 4 WHEELERS. FMCSA seem to think drivers should responsible for everybody. Drivers hold one sheering wheel at a time. FMCSA need to see what we go through everyday all day long. But its all about the MONEY never about safety. Because accidents have ticked up

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
I hear the FEDS can go into the system and look at your HOS without even being inside your truck. To make sure your are running legal. FMCSA is killing the drivers, They are putting all this safety mess on the shoulders of the drivers. There are too many other players in the industry. Shipping receiving BROKERS, accidents road work , bad traffic, MOST OF ALL 4 WHEELERS. FMCSA seem to think drivers should responsible for everybody. Drivers hold one sheering wheel at a time. FMCSA need to see what we go through everyday all day long. But its all about the MONEY never about safety. Because accidents have ticked up
Seriously? You got to post your crazy tinfoil hat bs in every thread?

nan

Supporter
Ran the ELD Thursday night for the first time. Only really lost the minutes between dropping a trailer and picking up the next one when there's some distance between. And had to take a real 30. Otherwise it's the same as AOBRD.

The big ass customers with huge properties is where it'll hurt most because of all the drive time. Even so, I don't think it's gonna hurt productivity since we never used up all of our 11 before.

OTR shouldn't have much issue either since they're not even gonna be at customers that often to log the BS drive time.

IOW I ain't worried about it.

Roguevan

Ran the ELD Thursday night for the first time. Only really lost the minutes between dropping a trailer and picking up the next one when there's some distance between. And had to take a real 30. Otherwise it's the same as AOBRD.

The big ass customers with huge properties is where it'll hurt most because of all the drive time. Even so, I don't think it's gonna hurt productivity since we never used up all of our 11 before.

OTR shouldn't have much issue either since they're not even gonna be at customers that often to log the BS drive time.

Hurts me a little but it's negligible. I normally deliver a load, deadhead, then pick up another same day. What really screws me is sitting at a shipper or receiver. The little bit of driving around at either end is no biggie.

Last edited:

nan

Supporter
Hurts me a little but it's negligible. I normally deliver a load, deadhead, then pick up another same day. What really screws me is sitting at a shipper or receiver. The little bit of driving around at a customer is no biggie.
Sitting at the shipper is On Duty so it's the same as AOBRD.

I'm not comparing it to paper fudging BTW. Just the two kinds of elogs.

Roguevan

Sitting at the shipper is On Duty so it's the same as AOBRD.

I'm not comparing it to paper fudging BTW. Just the two kinds of elogs.
I do a check in for arrived, and 5 minutes logged for moving the truck as loading/unloading. That's it. I do not log time docked as on duty. It isn't necessary. Never been questioned once, not even by Landstar. And they are tough as hell. If there was an issue I would have been informed a long time ago. Seems like folks are burning too much unnecessary time logged in.

nan

Supporter
I do a check in for arrived, and 5 minutes logged for moving the truck as loading/unloading. That's it. I do not log time docked as on duty. It isn't necessary. Never been questioned once, not even by Landstar. And they are tough as hell. If there was an issue I would have been informed a long time ago. Seems like folks are burning too much unnecessary time logged in.
Okay so log it off duty. Same as AOBRD.

How does that screw you on ELD but not AOBRD?

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
There is an On-duty Yard Move that doesn't count against your 11. Unless Big Orange decided you didn't need that.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter

The thing I noticed was you had to wait for a full 30 minutes (or whatever you were trying to do.) AOBRD would give us credit for a 30-minute break if you rolled at the 28 minute mark. ELD wouldn't. You'd have to wait 5 minutes to reset the ELD if you wanted negate any motion during the break.