FMCSA says no more unplugging you ELD on hometime

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
I don’t got a link to support this.

Safety said the FMCSA doesn’t allow the truck ELD to be unplugged anymore on hometime.

Safety said log out and do whatever you want still, just don’t assign any of the unassigned driving time to yourself, like normal

I don’t know what changed and I’m not going to look it up to find out

Mike

Staff member
In other words, they got in trouble. You were never supposed to be doing this.

The move from AOBRD to ELD is getting close. There will be no way around assigning that driving time either at that point.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
In other words, they got in trouble. You were never supposed to be doing this.

The move from AOBRD to ELD is getting close. There will be no way around assigning that driving time either at that point.
The unassigned drive time just floats in midair somewhere somehow. Francis asks if we want to assign it, we click no, it goes away

We’ve been unplugging or shutting down the ELDs since 2017, for hometime :dunno:

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
I don’t got a link to support this.

Safety said the FMCSA doesn’t allow the truck ELD to be unplugged anymore on hometime.

Safety said log out and do whatever you want still, just don’t assign any of the unassigned driving time to yourself, like normal

I don’t know what changed and I’m not going to look it up to find out
Welp Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw always "logged" out for home-time....worse yet went home "on-duty" then hadda call em to fix it

Oh they "hated" that then said welp guess I got another few days....nope they fixed it

The time "safety" really got on my ass was those loads take five or 6 hours sitting and waiting and you were outta time

But.. it was Late and the Pee-Lot or Loves nearby was full up

What I did was pull in and log "sleeper" at that point with minutes 2 spare..

Then Id actually disconect the plug and drive another 20/30 miles to some off the back roads truckstop outta town I knew of

Afew cases just across other side of town to that little known quick mart with truck parking off the main freeway or in California it was High Desert Truckstop again like 6/7 miles off of I-15 yet always a half dozen spots even at 2am ..

Another thingy I used to do was Drop n Hook trailers "Off-Duty" then take my 10 be rady to roll

Then Id drive back to that same location and fire uo the quallcomm and log back in from that point do a pretrip too

Thought I was "smart" even Got "away" with it for awhile too..

Eventually "Safety" started ringing my phone and leaving me messages..

How did my truck move 30 miles "off-duty"

And before ya lie to me I know when and where

So I said must be computer glitch..

Back at the "Terminal" Id roll in roll out .

Eventually he issued dispatch an internal "outta-service" order and I was stuck had no choice but to wait till 9am and see him in the office

Last edited:

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Welp Ontario Outlaw Ontario Outlaw always "logged" out for home-time....worse yet went home "on-duty" then hadda call em to fix it

Oh they "hated" that then said welp guess I got another few days....nope they fixed it

The time "safety" really got on my ass was those loads take five or 6 hours sitting and waiting and you were outta time

But.. it was Late and the Pee-Lot or Loves nearby was full up

What I did was pull in and log "sleeper" at that point with minutes 2 spare..

Then Id actually disconect the plug and drive another 20/30 miles to some off the back roads truckstop outta town I knew of

Afew cases just across other side of town to that little known quick mart with truck parking off the main freeway or in California it was High Desert Truckstop again like 6/7 miles off of I-15 yet always a half dozen spots even at 2am ..

Another thingy I used to do was Drop n Hook trailers "Off-Duty" then take my 10 be rady to roll

Then Id drive back to that same location and fire uo the quallcomm and log back in from that point do a pretrip too

Thought I was "smart" even Got "away" with it for awhile too..

Eventually "Safety" started ringing my phone and leaving me messages..

How did my truck move 30 miles "off-duty"

And before ya lie to me I know when and where

So I said must be computer glitch..

Back at the "Terminal" Id roll in roll out .

Eventually he issued dispatch an internal "outta-service" order and I was stuck had no choice but to wait till 9am and see him in the office
****ing “safety” can suck start a shotgun

They got no bushiness messing with how drivers drive

**** the ELD too.

Time to buy a 1985 359 with a kitty CAT and a double over tranny

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
They say it's all in the name of SAFETY.
Technically I was "Illegal"...

Just chose to think that not only if I logged out system and then pulled the plug ..

Somehow driving back to that same location next day "cleared" me. ..

Glad it was just company and tge Safety Manager who "caught" me and opened my eyes

****ing “safety” can suck start a shotgun

They got no bushiness messing with how drivers drive

**** the ELD too.

Time to buy a 1985 359 with a kitty CAT and a double over tranny
I put my 81 Pete in storage 15 years ago so glad I held on to mine! I care less about elogs than I did about paper logs and I have told a DOT pig to put vaseline all over it the turn it sideways and shove it up his ass! For 30+ years I have done things my way when I wanted to do it never going to change. My girlfriend can't believe they don't arrest me but it's coming I just can't sit back like a ***** and have a computer run me or my life. Keep giving in the true outlaw drivers will stand up for themselves it's such a shame how government has sucked the fun and camaraderie out of this "profession" I would be ashamed if I hired some of clowns driving I see getting out of these trucks. You represent your company so if you look like an unwashed slob your company doesn't care who they fill that left seat.

nan

Supporter
We're gonna be tablet based here soon, and the tablet stays with us. Since it automatically triggers at 5mph we're gonna have to sign out and shut them down before going home in our cars.

Yes I know it's personal driving and doesn't count but it blows the whole don't unplug don't shut it down thing out of the water.

Same goes for the guys running regular smartphone based ELDs.

So....

Hillbilly Canuck

Technically I was "Illegal"...

Just chose to think that not only if I logged out system and then pulled the plug ..

Somehow driving back to that same location next day "cleared" me. ..

Glad it was just company and tge Safety Manager who "caught" me and opened my eyes
Probably still snitches on you because of "mileage".

Mike

Staff member
We're gonna be tablet based here soon, and the tablet stays with us. Since it automatically triggers at 5mph we're gonna have to sign out and shut them down before going home in our cars.

Yes I know it's personal driving and doesn't count but it blows the whole don't unplug don't shut it down thing out of the water.

Same goes for the guys running regular smartphone based ELDs.

So....
The reason you are having to log out is because it gets the information from the ELD in the truck and somebody else will be driving the truck when you are out of it. It’s not registering you driving your personal vehicle.

Mine works on a smartphone or Tablet and both go home with me. I never have to log out because the truck isn’t moving. The tablet isn’t tracking your personal movement, only the movement of the ELD that is hooked up to your truck’s ECM.

nan

Supporter
The reason you are having to log out is because it gets the information from the ELD in the truck and somebody else will be driving the truck when you are out of it. It’s not registering you driving your personal vehicle.

Mine works on a smartphone or Tablet and both go home with me. I never have to log out because the truck isn’t moving. The tablet isn’t tracking your personal movement, only the movement of the ELD that is hooked up to your truck’s ECM.
No the reason we are logging out is because we're taking it with us and when our personal vehicle moves, it'll kick to drive automatically.

Not something you want when you're just driving home or getting groceries or forget to hide it under the sofa when you're going to the lake.

Maybe the people at Schneider don't really know what they bought but they told us we need to be sure to log out because of that.

Mike

Staff member
No the reason we are logging out is because we're taking it with us and when our personal vehicle moves, it'll kick to drive automatically.

Not something you want when you're just driving home or getting groceries or forget to hide it under the sofa when you're going to the lake.
The tablet isn’t reading your personal vehicle, it’s reading the ELD connected to the truck. The tablet is merely a device that communicates with the actual ELD.

Mike

Staff member
Why won't the next guy plugging his tablet in and logging in override mine?
It might, but then again might not because there is the possibility of two people being logged into the same ELD in a team driver situation.

Schneider has been using tablets for a little while now, do you know if the ELD is Freightliner’s factory installed option? I’m considering that on my next truck, but haven’t heard any reviews on it.

nan

Supporter
It might, but then again might not because there is the possibility of two people being logged into the same ELD in a team driver situation.

Schneider has been using tablets for a little while now, do you know if the ELD is Freightliner’s factory installed option? I’m considering that on my next truck, but haven’t heard any reviews on it.
What we're going to be using isn't. The mechanics have them stashed away waiting for their orders to rip out the old Qualcomms and put these in.

We've been using the tablets for workflow since January. Supposed to be switching over to the ELDs in the coming weeks.