Trucking News: FMCSA looks to expand study into driver schedules and crash risk

Mike

Staff member
“FMCSA has determined that the proposed data collection schedule is necessary to complete the study; currently, there is limited existing data that can be used for this project,” the agency’s Information Collection Request seeking approval for Phase II stated. “The Phase I data set only included nine carriers with no vehicle or Motor Carrier Management Information System (MCMIS) data.

“Although the Phase I data set is valuable, it is insufficient to answer the research questions required in this project.”

The agency is proposing to expand the data collection effort to 44 carriers over a three-year period.
Areas the study will explore include:

• What is the relative crash risk by hour of driving (e.g., the number of total crashes by hour/the number of drivers by hour of driving)?
  • What is the relative crash risk by hour of driving per week (e.g., the number of crashes by hour of driving/the number of drivers by hour of driving per week)?
  • What is the relative crash risk of driving breaks (e.g., comparison of crash rates for drivers who take no breaks compared to drivers who take one and two 30-minute breaks in one day)?

FMCSA looks to expand study into driver schedules and crash risk

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Here we go again.

Couldn't prove what they wanted to with the last study, so let's do it again. Keep doing studies until they get the results they want.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
What they need to look at is carriers and dispatchers that like to flip a drivers schedule.
For example a driver that was starting at 5-6 in the morning Sun-Tues, then Wednesday dispatch flips them to a midnight start.
Sure the driver has had more than enough time off as per the regs but, now they are supposed to some how be refreshed by midnight even though they have been awake all day.
What I am trying to say is dispatch messing with the circadian rhythm of drivers .

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
There should be a rule that carriers can not slide a drivers start time by more than four hours either way, until there is a 34 hour reset.
JMO

dchawk81

There should be a rule that carriers can not slide a drivers start time by more than four hours either way, until there is a 34 hour reset.
JMO
Well they do have to allow 10 hours minimum here in the USA. So if they want to change 6 am to midnight, it's gonna have to be more than 10 hours off.

I don't think they should be able to jack around start times at all though because adjustment can take weeks.

I've spent nearly my whole adult life working nights. Switching it around is miserable. Nigh on impossible for short terms that require consistency.

In other words, if I switched to day shift starting next week, it would be miserable going for quite some time, if I could pull it off at all.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Well they do have to allow 10 hours minimum here in the USA. So if they want to change 6 am to midnight, it's gonna have to be more than 10 hours off.
Umm, yeah, the difference between a 6am start and a midnight start is 18 hours so that 10 hour minimum has been met and surpassed.

dchawk81

I'm officially out on medical for my shoulder as of last week and it's been difficult to make Dr appointments because I'm so screwed up on the sleep pattern (ie there isn't one, with not working to wear myself out and appointments being day time).

Mike

Staff member
I'm officially out on medical for my shoulder as of last week and it's been difficult to make Dr appointments because I'm so screwed up on the sleep pattern (ie there isn't one, with not working to wear myself out and appointments being day time).
Time to go full time automatic tranny, Felicia

dchawk81

Time to go full time automatic tranny, Felicia
It's not even that. It's the bouncing on crap roads and the force of less than good doors/landing gear/tandems that gets me.

But they did take away my manual and there's an auto sitting in its place. Boo hiss.

Oh well. I'm kinda looking forward to the lazy factor. Set cruise and let it chug the hills.

CMT

What they need to look at is carriers and dispatchers that like to flip a drivers schedule.
For example a driver that was starting at 5-6 in the morning Sun-Tues, then Wednesday dispatch flips them to a midnight start.
Sure the driver has had more than enough time off as per the regs but, now they are supposed to some how be refreshed by midnight even though they have been awake all day.
What I am trying to say is dispatch messing with the circadian rhythm of drivers .
This is exactly what I've been dealing with since we got a new driver manger earlier this year.. it sucks & sadly I've gotten used to only getting about 3 hours of sleep per day. I'll get some short BS run that delivers at 06:30, then my next load out is later that evening around 19:00. I'm not tired until just before I have to leave for that evening load. Couldn't sleep earlier cuz I had only been awake for 4 hours..🙄

Here we go again.

Couldn't prove what they wanted to with the last study, so let's do it again. Keep doing studies until they get the results they want.
You're exactly right..👍

Mike

Staff member
This is exactly what I've been dealing with since we got a new driver manger earlier this year.. it sucks & sadly I've gotten used to only getting about 3 hours of sleep per day. I'll get some short BS run that delivers at 06:30, then my next load out is later that evening around 19:00. I'm not tired until just before I have to leave for that evening load. Couldn't sleep earlier cuz I had only been awake for 4 hours..🙄
That is the nonsense that I have never tolerated.

Back when I was getting started OTR, JB Hunt tried this with me. Deliver somewhere in the morning, sit all day (and get yelled at for idling), then that evening they have a load to pick up that delivers the next morning.

Tell them I've been up all day, they tell me I've had an 8 hour break, I respond with I've been calling on the payphone every hour or two to check for loads.

Ultimately, tell them to stick it and call them back the next morning for a load.

Needless to say, I didn't last there very long.

dchawk81

The more of BS treatment I hear from you guys, the more appreciative I am of my current gig.

I usually know what I'm doing and how much I'm gonna earn before I start my shift. If they don't have my entire shift already planned, I know what's likely to follow the first load. If it's a new dispatcher I can suggest loads to look for.