First significant breakdown for my Fitzgerald glider. Waiting on the verdict now.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Eh, it's not his.

I'm jerking with him.

It's actually from JunkYardDog5958 JunkYardDog5958 engine last year.

Mike Mike did say the head gasket failed between #5 and 6 though. Should be back at it Monday or Tuesday.

Mike

Staff member
If I don’t get back to work soon, I’m gonna be back to the glory days of 30 years ago and bench pressing 300 in the gym.

I’m at the point now where I seriously don’t want to go back to work, lol.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
Eh, it's not his.

I'm jerking with him.

It's actually from JunkYardDog5958 JunkYardDog5958 engine last year.

Mike Mike did say the head gasket failed between #5 and 6 though. Should be back at it Monday or Tuesday.
That was a weak point on the 3406E models, too. On the Cats, #5 liner walked around a bit, but once properly counterbored on rebuild, wasn't an issue after that.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
@Mike did say the head gasket failed between #5 and 6 though. Should be back at it Monday or Tuesday.
That'll do it alrighty.

I'd be POd though. You'd think a quality rebuild would be done without something like this happening this soon.

Guys that I talk with.....

Because of the tune that Fitzgerald uses in the their rebuilds, historically, their engines last about 300,000 miles. And then burn up. Generally an Injector gets taken out or a head gasket gets taken out. Basically, it's so advanced, your are creating too much cylinder pressure for long life.

What you've done is traded engine life, for fuel economy. What should have easily been a 1-1.4 million miles motor will need to be rebuilt prematurely eating up any savings in fuel cost.
Certainly makes me wonder about pushing the envelope on a rebuild past what the manufacturer set the engine up for.

I put a prototype Powerbox on my DD15 awhile back. It's basically a hot tune that you can dial in. I was really conservative about how I used it - I did see increased power, but I also got the ECM complaining via warning lights eventually. I ended up with injector problems that I suspect were on the way in any case. It could be the Powerbox just made things happen a little sooner. I disconnected it, and ended up putting a six pack of injectors in. That certainly put a spring back in the gal's step.

So I'm back to factory specs with absolutely no desire to push my engine any further. Just my opinion, but, I have no desire to face the financial consequences of a blown engine just because I couldn't live with what I've got.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
They say to the guy pushing 630/2250 out of a 14L....:tease:

Had my engine first tuned in December, 2012. First agreement was to have a million miles engine. I got 450,000 on it when I had my only major problem. Oring failed.

Not until we pulled the head was it found the #5/6 head gasket was jus beginning to show signs of failure.

Looking back, I'd have done things differently than what I did. Mainly send my head to a machinist and have them make it bullet proof instead of getting a Detroit reman.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Supporter
They say to the guy pushing 630/2250 out of a 14L....:tease:
That's not outrageous, though. The pre-egr 14L was 600/2050, IIRC.

Looking back, I'd have done things differently than what I did. Mainly send my head to a machinist and have them make it bullet proof instead of getting a Detroit reman.
Never been in a head shop when they put a big bore diesel head on the belt. I would hope they're flatter than what passes for factory acceptable on gas motors.

I’ve seen three of their engines down with 300,000 to 380,000 and have galled piston and every bearing (cam, rods, mains) into the copper. These engines were not hot tuned. Engines had mismatched rods, jakes and things. I just think there is a quality control problem and/or poor workmanship by so called mechanics.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I’ve seen three of their engines down with 300,000 to 380,000 and have galled piston and every bearing (cam, rods, mains) into the copper. These engines were not hot tuned. Engines had mismatched rods, jakes and things. I just think there is a quality control problem and/or poor workmanship by so called mechanics.
Some of it is due to the demand for rebuilt series 60 engines. There are several different versions - there are marine engines, fixed diesel generators, etc. The parts for some aren't exactly the same as in the road diesel used in class 8 highway tractors. With not enough parts around, some engines haven't had the right parts put into them.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Some of it is due to the demand for rebuilt series 60 engines. There are several different versions - there are marine engines, fixed diesel generators, etc. The parts for some aren't exactly the same as in the road diesel used in class 8 highway tractors. With not enough parts around, some engines haven't had the right parts put into them.
Marine engines, eh? You can get a series 60 for a boat? Hmm... :headscratch2:

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
That's not outrageous, though. The pre-egr 14L was 600/2050, IIRC.
Kinda the point.

This is such a capable engine for what it is. Running it at 500/1650 is lugging it more than using it.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
. Engines had mismatched rods, jakes and things. I just think there is a quality control problem and/or poor workmanship by so called mechanics
Tech that did my in-frame was sharp. Shop super even admitted another tech may not have caught my in-frame kit had two incorrect pistons in it when he went to put it together.

oldhippietommy

a trucker buddy just told me he went to a local shop.They had a new Fitzgerald glider in there.1800 miles on it
top off working on removing injectors.
Seems like Fitzgerald sent them the parts etc to do the work

Mike

Staff member
a trucker buddy just told me he went to a local shop.They had a new Fitzgerald glider in there.1800 miles on it
top off working on removing injectors.
Seems like Fitzgerald sent them the parts etc to do the work
Standard for their warranty, they overnight the parts to whoever is doing the work unless they can match the price.