Experienced Drivers - What's Most Important When Deciding a New Company to Work For?

What's Most Important to You When Selecting a Company To Work For?

• Pay

• Benefits

• Consistency in Work

• Equipment

• Company Values

• Hometime

Results are only viewable after voting.

aevans

Hi,

I work at an in-house advertising agency for a trucking company in North America. We're currently trying to develop an ad campaign to target experienced drivers (6 months or more) and instead of guessing what appeals to you, we would like to hear it directly from you. Please vote in the poll and if you have a moment, let us know and answer the few questions below, or simply comment anything that comes to mind.

We're trying to better our understanding of experienced drivers and hopefully improve your lives and the company in the process.

Thanks!

1. What makes you want to join a particular company?

2. What factors make you leave a company?

3. What incentives would make you want to stay with a company?

4. Are there any particular things you look for in a trucking advertisement? Graphics, visuals, information that appeal to you?

5. Where do you see yourself in regards to trucking in 1 year? 5 years?

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Hi,

I work at an in-house advertising agency for a trucking company in North America. We're currently trying to develop an ad campaign to target experienced drivers (6 months or more) and instead of guessing what appeals to you, we would like to hear it directly from you. Please vote in the poll and if you have a moment, let us know and answer the few questions below, or simply comment anything that comes to mind.

We're trying to better our understanding of experienced drivers and hopefully improve your lives and the company in the process.

Thanks!
not always the size of the operation, but i have found that smaller (say 200 trucks) is better than 2,000..i have had interview appointments in the past, and i'll "size up" the operation by driving by..if i see crap equipment, i keep on driving by, if i see a cluttered yard, same thing.

they need to impress me as much as i have to impress them.....I WILl NOT back off this requirement.

management's inconsistent policies, boredom from being at the same employer for more than 5 years, of which now, i have hit the 5 year point at my current job

FULLY paid health benefits, and GREAT ones, no El Cheapo, with a huge chunk taken out of my pay. at least 6 weeks vacation time, regular (yearly) pay raises, bonuses not required, especially christmas parties, give me the money instead.

4. Are there any particular things you look for in a trucking advertisement? Graphics, visuals, information that appeal to you?
NO..>!! i learned years ago, they are ALL THE BEST to work for, ALL HAVE the best benefits, etc,etc.....ALL BS TO ME......

actually...retiring soon......and i absolutely, WILL BE TURNING IN my CDL.....i've had it with all the BS.....

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
Hi,

Thanks!

You work in the advertising department. All I want you to do is be honest about what your company offers, not interested in you creating an amazing ad that tells drivers what they want to hear.

What company is it?

Tazz

Infidel
Want to keep the ones you hire. Be honest.

Stop the ad campaigns, let your drivers be your example. If your company is worth driving for word of mouth will have a waiting list to get in the door.

I want pay, hometime, a voice in the company, respect, and flexibility, management that understands they need the drivers, and take monthly rides for deliveries.

aevans

Thank you all for your feedback! We always strive to be honest in any work we do. I guess if you were looking between a few companies that interested you, because you guys are right, a lot of these places are the same and offer the same kind of packages, what would set it apart from the rest?

Tazz

Infidel
At a minimum home weekly. There is no damn reason to be in a truck beyond 5-6 days IMO. Yeah I know some folks live in their trucks. 80% of your drivers have families. Down time should be spent with them not in some crap hole.

Decent pay. And respect for a drivers time. If they are sitting in a dock, waiting for a load, stopped for inclement weather to save your equipment from damage, in for repairs pay them.

HUB MILES! No more of this BS of picking up in Atlanta when your already "in" Atlanta and being paid one mile when they have to cover 30-40 miles of high traffic interstates to actually make the pick up or delivery.

A decent driver should be worth at a minimum 70k a year at 200 nights in the truck.

Order those however you wish.

Mike

Staff member
Thank you all for your feedback! We always strive to be honest in any work we do. I guess if you were looking between a few companies that interested you, because you guys are right, a lot of these places are the same and offer the same kind of packages, what would set it apart from the rest?
What company is it?

Komainu

Yeah honesty in the advertising is extremely important. I replied to an ad that said $24-28 per hr with lots of overtime. Then I get to the interview and am told starting pay is $21 per hour and no time and a half after 40 hours. I declined the job offer as I can’t work for people that I can’t trust.

Komainu

Yeah honesty in the advertising is extremely important. I replied to an ad that said $24-28 per hr with lots of overtime. Then I get to the interview and am told starting pay is $21 per hour and no time and a half after 40 hours. I declined the job offer as I can’t work for people that I can’t trust.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Everybody lies in trucking

Get used to it