Truck Repair Espar and Webasto heaters

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
Anyone have any experience bench testing these units?

I’m guessing start with their manuals or website, you’ll need a source for fuel and power.

For a coolant heater do you need a coolant tank for it to cycle coolant?

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Are you trying to get one from a junkyard? Stay away from webasto. I have worked on a ton of em the main unit is prone to water intrusion.

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
Are you trying to get one from a junkyard? Stay away from webasto. I have worked on a ton of em the main unit is prone to water intrusion.
I have both currently, Espar coolant heater and Webasto bunk heater. Both need work. I can buy one new one and 4 used ones plus an install kit from a buddy. So I’d like to test them before installing them.

The Webasto bunk heaters all have “tested 2015” or “fired 2016” written on them, they were his spares, he had three trucks on the road for quite a few years.

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
I have both currently, Espar coolant heater and Webasto bunk heater. Both need work. I can buy one new one and 4 used ones plus an install kit from a buddy. So I’d like to test them before installing them.

The Webasto bunk heaters all have “tested 2015” or “fired 2016” written on them, they were his spares, he had three trucks on the road for quite a few years.
If you have a webasto coolant heater that mounts on the frame rail. I have repaired just about as many as I have had to replace. Espar. You get the code of the lcd and replace whatever part the book tells you to. Haha

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
If you have a webasto coolant heater that mounts on the frame rail. I have repaired just about as many as I have had to replace. Espar. You get the code of the lcd and replace whatever part the book tells you to. Haha
Mine is an Espar coolant heater. Mechanic said water pump and one other big part was shot, at the end of the day he said it’s cheaper to replace the whole unit.

Gonna see if I can figure this stuff out on my own, it can’t be rocket appliance type stuff

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
Mine is an Espar coolant heater. Mechanic said water pump and one other big part was shot, at the end of the day he said it’s cheaper to replace the whole unit.

Gonna see if I can figure this stuff out on my own, it can’t be rocket appliance type stuff
Nah, whole unit is a few wires and some lines

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
I can’t help ya there man, however I would imagine if you could rig up some lines in a bucket of coolant, and a bucket of fuel. Then hook a controller to it powers and grounds you could probably make it happen.

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
BB366654-2F7D-4F2F-AE4F-3C5F7A49F85C.jpeg
D3C041C2-7432-4B9C-BBF3-E39CA28C3BA1.jpeg
C9578793-F79F-42EA-A8B6-DDAC900D3819.jpeg

I think the Espar sits on the bottom lip, then a bolt goes through it into the threaded part. I’m guessing the mechanic that took my original one off kept the bolt.
So I’m done before I can even get started today
:(

r3gulator3

Staff member
Supporter
View attachment 46045
Who the **** uses flat head screws on something anyway....get the torches out for four little bolts...
:mad:
Those are actually clutch head screws or #2 square drive. (See the square in the middle?) they use them at a lot of body assembly plants. Thomas bus is one that comes to mind where you have a live person with a screw gun running them in. They have that slot so when the installer rounds the center out you still have a chance to remove those.

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
Those are actually clutch head screws or #2 square drive. (See the square in the middle?) they use them at a lot of body assembly plants. Thomas bus is one that comes to mind where you have a live person with a screw gun running them in. They have that slot so when the installer rounds the center out you still have a chance to remove those.
We call them Robertson screws

Robertson | Robertson Inc

I believe, we invented it, Americans refused to recognize the invention, and called it a square drive

Not looking to pick a fight, but I believe that is what happened.

It’s like posidrive vs Phillips, kind of. I don’t understand posidrive

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
We call them Robertson screws

Robertson | Robertson Inc

I believe, we invented it, Americans refused to recognize the invention, and called it a square drive

Not looking to pick a fight, but I believe that is what happened.

It’s like posidrive vs Phillips, kind of. I don’t understand posidrive
I used to call them square and star until I learned the name of a Robertson and a Phillips.

Skateboard puller

Hozer Witta Hood
61FD85F6-83B5-413E-82F7-97EB43457F0F.jpeg

It’s on. I’m not sure how to run the controls, the screen seems to indicate it’s on and working, but it also gives an F 30 display

I don’t know :dunno:

I’m hoping google will sort me out