Trucking News: ELD's and the **** we already knew.....

dchawk81

Supporter
I don’t want to be “home every night”. There is nothing I want to be home for.
I have no home, no pets, no partner, no kids, not much family left, not even any plants. I’m pretty sure my toolbox and office desk DGAF if I’m there or not.

The road is my home for now.

There’s tricks to making border crossings easier, every once in awhile I get thrown a curveball.
I don't really have people either but I have some nice cars. They're better.

Hillbilly Canuck

Do van yankers do load checks? Serious question, I really don’t know.

Off the top of my head I can think of three big time wasters for me. Customs paperwork, the border crossing and load checks. At the minimum first load check in 60 miles, then every 3 hours or 160 miles after that. Sometimes you have to rework something, sometimes you just walk around it once and roll on.
Elog or paper I used to just flag them on the front end of a chunk of off duty. Even when I fueled it said fuel/load check. Nobody that saw my logs ever said boo. How long does it take to walk the perimeter and flick a few straps or chains? If I had to do something further.....prove it. It's no different than all these people logging 5-15 on then off to sit at a dock for a few hours.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Elog or paper I used to just flag them on the front end of a chunk of off duty. Even when I fueled it said fuel/load check. Nobody that saw my logs ever said boo. How long does it take to walk the perimeter and flick a few straps or chains? If I had to do something further.....prove it. It's no different than all these people logging 5-15 on then off to sit at a dock for a few hours.
Agreed, although I never wrote down the reason for a change of duty status.

However, pulling over every 2-3 hours to pop the knob, get out, walk around, then ease back through the gears to get back to speed is 10-20 minutes, that van yankers don’t spend time on.

You know as well as I do, some loads ride nice and stay tight. Some are squirrelly and need babysitting. The winter with ice n snow is the worst for loads wanting to walk around

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Do van yankers do load checks? Serious question, I really don’t know.
When I started, hazmat haulers had to stop and check their tires and equipment every 100 miles. If the trailer is sealed, obviously we won't open the door to peer in at the freight.I hauled quite a bit of ethyl-methyl-nasty-crap in those days.

How long does it really take to see if your load has shifted?

Border crossing is irrelevant to ELD discussion. You make a chouce to engage in international commerce. You've always knkwn it's a pain in the ass.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter

Border crossing is irrelevant to ELD discussion.
You moved this to being able to drive 11 hours in a 14 hour shift. I gave you examples of why it’s hard to complete 11 hours of driving in 14 hours.

I loaded in a small town last winter, drove 10 miles and noticed a loose strap. Pulled over, checked and tightened everything. Drove 10 more miles into a bigger town, pulled onto the highway and noticed the rearmost skid had shifted. Almost two feet off the trailer. Pulled over, added another strap, called the office. Made the decision to drive to a shipper I knew, 30 minutes the wrong way, to fix the mess.

There was frozen snow on the bottom of the skids, and the skids were all tarped in boat wrap type plastic. Like a greased pig slickery. Spent an hour ****ing around there, got some ice salt on the bottom skid and straightened the top skid. Restrapped the ****ing mess and rolled.

Some days **** happens. Some days it’s a 5 minute walk around and you can roll. Some days you untarp half the load, restrap it, retarp it and roll

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
When I started, hazmat haulers had to stop and check their tires and equipment every 100 miles. If the trailer is sealed, obviously we won't open the door to peer in at the freight.I hauled quite a bit of ethyl-methyl-nasty-crap in those days.

Border crossing is irrelevant to ELD discussion. You make a chouce to engage in international commerce. You've always knkwn it's a pain in the ass.
I did hazmat for decade back under those rules. Worst part is it trains your body to want to stop every 2 hours. Even 20 years later, I rarely go over three hours between stops. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's good to move around; the old days of stopping once or twice a 16 - 18 hour day isn't the best for your body.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I did hazmat for decade back under those rules. Worst part is it trains your body to want to stop every 2 hours. Even 20 years later, I rarely go over three hours between stops. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's good to move around; the old days of stopping once or twice a 16 - 18 hour day isn't the best for your body.
That'll keep you from getting a blood clot in your legs. If it breaks loose, it'll kill you.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
You moved this to being able to drive 11 hours in a 14 hour shift. I gave you examples of why it’s hard to complete 11 hours of driving in 14 hours.

I loaded in a small town last winter, drove 10 miles and noticed a loose strap. Pulled over, checked and tightened everything. Drove 10 more miles into a bigger town, pulled onto the highway and noticed the rearmost skid had shifted. Almost two feet off the trailer. Pulled over, added another strap, called the office. Made the decision to drive to a shipper I knew, 30 minutes the wrong way, to fix the mess.

There was frozen snow on the bottom of the skids, and the skids were all tarped in boat wrap type plastic. Like a greased pig slickery. Spent an hour *ing around there, got some ice salt on the bottom skid and straightened the top skid. Restrapped the *ing mess and rolled.

Some days **** happens. Some days it’s a 5 minute walk around and you can roll. Some days you untarp half the load, restrap it, retarp it and roll
:throwfit:

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
I don't see why that's so difficult to do. When I had cross-country runs, I'd knock out that driving with only a few pit stops so I could have an extra couple of hours on my overnight. If I couldn't knock out my 11 within 12 hours, I'd get annoyed.

I worked part my 14 last night running reefer crap outta Mankato.

Last two stops were on the same property. So I was able to stay in an on duty status to get both off without going on the drive line.

A rare occurrence sure.

But it still sucked.

I’m really wondering what the folks looking to remove the 14 hour rule are actually looking for.

Do you actually WANT to go back to working all sorts of stupid hours?

What specifically are people looking for in HOS reform?

Because before we had the 14 hour rule?

The truck stops were still full every night and finding parking was still a ***** around big cities.

So allow me to say two things:

1- the government in not your friend.

2- you WILL NOT get what you’re looking for.

And finally I’ll remind everyone; Be careful what you ask for.

dchawk81

Supporter
I'm a little lucky with my job in that we stop multiple times anyway. Unless it's our longest routes, which is still 4 stops but usually the coffee kicks in and the bladder needs the relief valve opened somewhere along the line if not at a customer.

I don't have a camel bladder like some of these guys but I still like my coffee and water.

Hillbilly Canuck

Wait what are you doing to those poor dogs?
Piling up dead ones at Tim Hortons locations all over the province because I ****ed them to death. I'm the king of the dog ****ers you see. The cold snaps did so many bad things to my truck I worked three days in two weeks.

Nah, I'm not the king. We have one that's way more consistent than anyone. The running joke if you see him anywhere we pick up or dump......

Holy what the **** are you doing HERE?!?! This isn't a Timmies!