Elds and driver shortage to drive up cost of meat says Tyson

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
Here Rodger Rodger from the same article..

"The tightness in the trucking market probably won’t ease anytime soon.

Employers can’t find enough drivers -- at least at the wages companies want to pay -- as low unemployment spurs competition from other industries."..

Why do ya think I was Driving Forklight and even working the Pack -Off line for over a year instead of "Driving"...

Because I made about the SAME amount of Money and Better benefits... plus home everyday and woth the exceptions of a Saturday or 2 madatory overtime got most my weekends off too

While I "F-ED" that up and got canned it was "Comparable in Compemsation to my Latest Trucking Job

In and out the Door in 8/10 hours too

Trucking is really gonna have to step up their game on PAY and Benefits too when the "Geezer" Fleeters really start hitting Social Secrity Age big time and even just dying off from "Obesity" and lack of Medical Care..

Another Decade or So and the Come to Jesus Moment

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Here Rodger Rodger from the same article..

Employers can’t find enough drivers -- at least at the wages companies want to pay -- as low unemployment spurs competition from other industries."..

Why do ya think I was Driving Forklight and even working the Pack -Off line for over a year instead of "Driving"...

Because I made about the SAME amount of Money and Better benefits... plus home everyday and woth the exceptions of a Saturday or 2 madatory overtime got most my weekends off too

While I "F-ED" that up and got canned it was "Comparable in Compemsation to my Latest Trucking Job

In and out the Door in 8/10 hours too

Trucking is really gonna have to step up their game on PAY and Benefits too when the "Geezer" Fleeters really start hitting Social Secrity Age big time and even just dying off from "Obesity" and lack of Medical Care..

Another Decade or So and the Come to Jesus Moment
I agree they are going to have to step it up in regards to pay. My company is just starting to see this now as their old driver and there are a lot of them. The safety meeting looked like an old age home.
They have gotten away with paying lower wages because the old guys made their money back in the 70's and 80's and bought home up norht where the cost of living is MUCH, MUCH cheaper.
Now there are trying to hire younger guys from the city and what they are paying don't make rent in the big city. The millennials are simply not interested in trucking, Hell most of them don't have a drivers licence to start with. They have no interest in owning a car and a car is essential to get to the terminal.

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
I agree they are going to have to step it up in regards to pay. My company is just starting to see this now as their old driver and there are a lot of them. The safety meeting looked like an old age home.
They have gotten away with paying lower wages because the old guys made their money back in the 70's and 80's and bought home up norht where the cost of living is MUCH, MUCH cheaper.
Now there are trying to hire younger guys from the city and what they are paying don't make rent in the big city. The millennials are simply not interested in trucking, Hell most of them don't have a drivers licence to start with. They have no interest in owning a car and a car is essential to get to the terminal.

The "sadder" Rigjockey Rigjockey is Modern Day "Geezers" will tell ya they made .18/.23 cents per mile when they started out..

I called the one "Geezer" out at the yard in Toledo...

Rigjockey Rigjockey he was quoting 1989 dollar "discounting" Inflation....

So he has been there for nearly 3 decades Same company..

A 1989 "inflation" adjusted Dollar had like 3 0r 4 Times the "Spending" Power..

Last time was 0.39 CPM as of 2 years ago..

So today we make HALF and minus inflation Adjustment and that Homes and Cars were a heck of alot CHEAPER in the Late 1980s not to mention everyday living expenses too

BirchBarlow

I love KW 680s
The "sadder" Rigjockey Rigjockey is Modern Day "Geezers" will tell ya they made .18/.23 cents per mile when they started out..

I called the one "Geezer" out at the yard in Toledo...

Rigjockey Rigjockey he was quoting 1989 dollar "discounting" Inflation....

So he has been there for nearly 3 decades Same company..

A 1989 "inflation" adjusted Dollar had like 3 0r 4 Times the "Spending" Power..

Last time was 0.39 CPM as of 2 years ago..

So today we make HALF and minus inflation Adjustment and that Homes and Cars were a heck of alot CHEAPER in the Late 1980s not to mention everyday living expenses too

An even "Better" one was before I worked in that plant I drove one of their trucks for a year before the forklift job and pack off became available

The guy who gave me my Road Test told me he started there in 1991 at 18 cents per mile.

Ive added the numbers too that adds up to like $3/4 hundred per week TAKE HOME if they gave ya the miles..

Again stuff cost roughly HALF about 25/30 years ago

dchawk81

Warehousing isn't much better. If at all. I was making $12/hr as a temp at Amazon in 2000. I was making $14.75/hr with shift differential full time at Amazon in 2015.

Transportation as a whole has stagnated at the bottom end. Although I'm guessing all bottom end positions stagnated in all industries.

Not all executives make the kind of money their suit implies though either. Lots of middle management out there making the same as we do, putting in the same hours. They're just salaried.

Dispatchers, driver business leaders, etc aren't getting rich off their jobs. I think my manager makes a little more than I do but she's over the entire intermodal fleet in the Northeast.

Mike

Staff member
So funny. I love these stories. They refuse to raise driver wages and refuse to do anything about detaining drivers for hours and hours and hours. That’s not the problem! No sir!!!! Lol. It’s not an ELD problem. We had our hand forced in 2012 to go on ELD. You can still make on time delivery and pick ups.... when the warehouses work with you to get you in and out in a timely matter. Not sitting you for hours and hours. There wouldn’t be a “driver shortage” of the driver mills actually trained people how to be truck drivers instead of steering wheel holders. And treat drivers with some small amount of decorum instead of scumbags. Not saying there’s no scumbag drivers. But they really do create their own problems when they reach for the lowest common denominator to pay less than minimum wage. I’m so happy about ELDs. The chickens are coming home to roost for the rest of the industry while making it better for the drivers.
The scrambling of the shippers/receivers/brokers is almost comical at this point. It's like we've gotten weeks and weeks of constant rain, the creeks are running faster than ever, yet the dumb fish are still trying to go upstream.

They tried really hard in February to push rates back down. I'm sure many carriers caved, but the majority seemed to stick to their guns.

Lots of folks out here are still doing what they want, just letting violations show up, or outright falsify by abusing Personal Conveyance. These folks will be picked off, one by one, over time. Only takes a couple stupid violations to get a carrier watched much more closely, and ultimately put out of business if they don't get things right.

Things have changed, and they are not going back to the old way. I don't particularly care for the new way, but those that don't conform are going to be out the door before long. Rules now have consequences, something society seems to have forgotten about.

Mike

Staff member

As with just about every other article, they miss the big picture. This isn't so much about the big companies, the strain is due to the vast majority of the industry that they fail to talk about. Capacity shortage is due to the single owner operator and small fleet sector of this industry that is forcing rates up due to being forced to run 100% legal.

It's the overwhelming amount of short 50-300 mile loads that are a huge struggle to move due to carriers realizing they need an actual daily rate to move this stuff because they can no longer just get it moved and make the paper log look good later. They are actually having to charge for their service, and the shippers/receivers/brokers hate it. The big fleets and company drivers have no bearing on this at all. Companies don't want to touch this freight because the company drivers put on these loads would whine/complain/quit.

yesterday, I got an email from a broker that is pretty close to my home area. I was at home, and delivering about 12 miles from the house. Needed a load picked up locally and delivered 80 miles away. This load was posted by multiple brokers, I think that big blue star had it for something like $225.

receiver unloads until 1600.

I quote $650, with the guarantee of me being there to load by noon and out by 1330. If not out by then, and I fail to make it to unload today, $1000.

Broker agrees, I'm there by 1000, and unloaded on the other end by 1300.

Too many brokers still trying to push stuff like this at low rates, and too many carriers circling the drain and taking it because they can't see the big picture.

How many company drivers are going to go do this load without complaining? How many company drivers end up quitting a job after a few loads like this? And who blames them? The load would suck for a company driver unless the company was to do the right thing, charge the customer accordingly, and pass along a good short haul wage for that load to the driver.

Latest posts