ELD Mandate, the final two week countdown - Drivers are going bananas at the last minute

Mike

Staff member
Just like everything else, it seems like too many truck and small fleet owners seem to be having a meltdown at the last minute over the ELD Mandate.

Sadly, some folks are going to be caught unable to purchase the unit they really want, and forced to go with whatever they can get from a truckstop at the last minute if those folks aren't sold out. Buyer's remorse will be in full effect, and lots of drivers will be blaming this on not having time to plan. I can't help but shake my head at some of the confusion I am seeing posted on Facebook.

I feel like a large portion of the industry (of those who were on paper), are holding out to the last possible minute for a delay. Still a slight chance, but I don't see it happening.

Many will go for the cheapest option possible at the last minute, rather than spending a tad more for quality. When they have problems, they will blame others, I can see it happening now.

I went with KeepTruckin, backed by Google Ventures. I had not even heard of them when I first started looking at them, had to go check them out after mndriver mndriver told me about them. I researched as much as possible, downloaded the app to test it out without being hooked up to the truck. Spoke multiple times to the customer service folks, and even as a single truck owner only buying one unit, they were always very helpful. Cost was not bad, could get it for as little as $240/year. I went with the plus service at $360/year for easy IFTA management. One of the things I like about this unit is that it stores all of your information forever. I won't 100% trust that most likely, but it's nice to know you always have that information there in case of an audit.

Another bonus, it has AOBRD available, allowing you to stay on AOBRD for the next two years if you choose to do so. (I chose to do so)

That's not an advertisement, I get nothing from it, just posting my thoughts and experience with that ELD device.

On December 18th, 2017 - Gonna see many trucks still running paper logs. Some due to a scramble to get an ELD (possibly waiting on a backorder), some seeing how long they can make it without being forced to switch.

If the mandate got delayed, I wouldn't complain for a second. If the mandate was delayed long enough, I would simply unplug my ELD and use the app as it's much easier to manage that paper, and easier to take advantage of the "flexible features" ;)

With under two weeks left though, you need to get out there and get this taken care of if you haven't already.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Well, we've only known about the coming mandate for five years or so.
It's all so sudden. We need some time on this, ffs.

:panic:

Some folks just want to make excuses and that's the saddest part. Bring on the change.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Some folks just want to make excuses and that's the saddest part. Bring on the change.
No, the saddest part is all these steering wheel holders replying to this government bullshit with "thank you sir, may I have another?"

It's un-American.

I don't think people understand that government is never satisfied and will always be looking for new things to regulate and control. It's why they call themselves "law makers" instead of representatives.

If you give them an inch they will take a mile. They must be fought and opposed every single step, regardless of whether it seems to be a losing battle.

All of these fools welcoming this mandate are just rolling out the red carpet and begging for the next round of bullshit. It'll be speed limiters or cameras next.

gearjammer

jammer
Staff member
Supporter
the gooberment has been on a roll for years with no end in sight the pass a regulation and the truckers wring their hands and say there is nothing we can do, which brings on ever more burdensome regulations, with the truckers saying there is nothing to be done, which brings even more outrageous regulations and the truckers say------------- and around and around it goes where it stops,well unfortunately we can make a real good guess.

all kinds of groups with a very small minority are able to get together and effect real change, lgbt groups to name one of Many that while they are a few percent of the population get what they want but truckers that along with their families are a MUCH larger percentage of the population and with a huge amount of power, all they got to do is take a vacation for a week or so could get whatever they want and yet all your hear is ,THERE IS NOTHING WE CAN DO.

It will be interesting to see what the next outrageous thin the goverment will come up with next that the American truckers will bend over and accept with a smile on their face!!

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
The problem with truckers is all the infighting.

I was in that ELD and Me group for about 20 minutes. Long enough to see the Channel 19 level attacks on drivers who work for large carriers, "new school" drivers and pretty much anyone who doesn't own a pre-2000 Pete 379 with a CAT engine and 18-speed transmission, have 25 or more years driving, and run independent off load boards and brokers. They established their exclusivity and I obviously would not fit in.

Funny enough, when there were organized protests about the Waco Massacre, I was actually on my way to Texas from Idaho to participate. I kept in tune with the group until Albuquerque and then took a hard right and went to my mom's house instead. Reason: They started in with "If you're this or that, don't attend. You can't wear this or that. You have to....and you can't...." None of their rules applied to me, but I figured it wouldn't take them long to make one up that would. They were becoming elitist pricks.

I don't belong to the Elitist Pricks club. So my presence was not wanted either in Waco or on the ELD or Me page.

That's why you will not see more than a smattering of participants in these things. Everybody needs to feel like they're better than somebody else.

LGBTQ has been successful because they are inclusive. They fight together for each other's issues. Truckers could learn a thing or two from them.

dchawk81

You ain't a real trucker if you got a slope nose.

That's fine. I make enough to live a lifestyle that's the exact opposite.

If I can find something that pays the same and doesn't involve a steering wheel, I'll give that a try instead.

Some of us don't do it because we feel this burning desire. We don't HATE it, but we follow the money.

I was going to take some college courses and get my degree, and I will as soon as I can decide WTF I wanna go for in the first place. But to be a dispatcher would be a huge pay cut. I'd have to be the manager of the whole office to make similar money.

I'd take the management job but only after they beg. 😂

dchawk81

BTW some of you anti-eloggers need to look up some of the regulations hairdressers face.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
The problem with truckers is all the infighting.

I was in that ELD and Me group for about 20 minutes. Long enough to see the Channel 19 level attacks on drivers who work for large carriers, "new school" drivers and pretty much anyone who doesn't own a pre-2000 Pete 379 with a CAT engine and 18-speed transmission, have 25 or more years driving, and run independent off load boards and brokers. They established their exclusivity and I obviously would not fit in.
I've been there almost since the beginning and that hasn't been my experience, quite the contrary.
The few times I've seen someone get out of line a mod has stepped in and made it clear that breaking ranks with insults or arrogant attitudes would not be tolerated.

I don't follow it on a minute-by-minute basis but I did see one venomous attack against the Sikhs PAC and that poster was expelled along with an admonition that anyone with a similar attitude should merely leave because they weren't welcome.

The few other personal attacks I've seen were squelched in short order.

That's my experience...
FWIW.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
You ain't a real trucker if you got a slope nose.

That's fine. I make enough to live a lifestyle that's the exact opposite.
At least some of the time that perspective is as much on you as it is on those you're indicting.

I've always pretty much driven trucks like the truck you're shopping for now and I have seen that attitude but it isn't nearly as prevalent as you make out in my experience.

The first 'hood' I ever bought was a WGMC (Volvo) because it was around $15k cheaper than a similar Paccar and it had a coupla hundred thousand fewer miles...
NO BRAINER!

The lowboy gig I'm doing now is 'largely' stretched Pete's & KW's (HEH! See what I did there? :wink:) but most of the people have been good as gold to me no matter what they're driving...
although I've heard the same sort of bias from both sides.

I never worked open deck to speak of before I started this gig and one of the first loads I showed up for after (inadequate) training more or less forced me to ask for help. Two stretched Pete's and a Western Star rolled in together a coupla hours after I pulled my trucks and had the first two loaded.

Hey boss, I got a coupla questions if you have time to answer them.
:unsure:

The guy looked my trailer over and said,
Just unload that mess and we'll start all over.

Long story short...
those three guys had me loaded in an hour...
before they loaded their own trucks.
:eek-64:
They probably saved me a thousand dollar claim.
Then I did what I could to help them.

I saw those guys at the delivery the next day.
After I unloaded I went over to help out and thanked them for pulling my fat from the fire.
They gave me some good advice on what to turn down and what to take for the next load.
Prolly saved me another pile of money...

I did the same sort of thing numerous times...
and YEAH!
I've run in to a coupla ass-hats,
butt (HEH!) by n large [I did it again :x3:] people respond according to the way they're treated.
That's a life-lesson, young man [FWIW].

Fast-forward a few months,
It just so happened that I ran into the same 3 guys and we were helping each other out when a stretched Pete rolled in...
Hey! Here comes Mr. F'n know-it-all!!
:mad-97:

You mean Gary?
:confused-96:

Yeah!
That F'n asshole!

Gary helped me out a while back.
I thought he was a nice guy.
:stare2:

Well, he's an asshole!

Hmm.
I didn't know that.

A while later I told them that since we had 4 people I was gonna go check on Gary because I owed him one.
After I directed him and tossed a few blocks,
he came over and helped everyone else finish loading.
Then they all got to talking and having a good, clean Christian good time.
:smile:

As often as not, you get what you're looking for.

Just sayin'.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
They went and locked me up for 47 days,
they wouldn't let me out and I wouldn't change my ways...
if you have to know.

I got some kind of deal but it's all uphill...
if you have to know.

Do you have to know?
:cautious:

dchawk81

At least some of the time that perspective is as much on you as it is on those you're indicting.

I've always pretty much driven trucks like the truck you're shopping for now and I have seen that attitude but it isn't nearly as prevalent as you make out in my experience.

The first 'hood' I ever bought was a WGMC (Volvo) because it was around $15k cheaper than a similar Paccar and it had a coupla hundred thousand fewer miles...
NO BRAINER!

The lowboy gig I'm doing now is 'largely' stretched Pete's & KW's (HEH! See what I did there? :wink:) but most of the people have been good as gold to me no matter what they're driving...
although I've heard the same sort of bias from both sides.

I never worked open deck to speak of before I started this gig and one of the first loads I showed up for after (inadequate) training more or less forced me to ask for help. Two stretched Pete's and a Western Star rolled in together a coupla hours after I pulled my trucks and had the first two loaded.

Hey boss, I got a coupla questions if you have time to answer them.
:unsure:

The guy looked my trailer over and said,
Just unload that mess and we'll start all over.

Long story short...
those three guys had me loaded in an hour...
before they loaded their own trucks.
:eek-64:
They probably saved me a thousand dollar claim.
Then I did what I could to help them.

I saw those guys at the delivery the next day.
After I unloaded I went over to help out and thanked them for pulling my fat from the fire.
They gave me some good advice on what to turn down and what to take for the next load.
Prolly saved me another pile of money...

I did the same sort of thing numerous times...
and YEAH!
I've run in to a coupla ass-hats,
butt (HEH!) by n large [I did it again :x3:] people respond according to the way they're treated.
That's a life-lesson, young man [FWIW].

Fast-forward a few months,
It just so happened that I ran into the same 3 guys and we were helping each other out when a stretched Pete rolled in...
Hey! Here comes Mr. F'n know-it-all!!

You mean Gary?
:confused-96:

Yeah!
That F'n asshole!

Gary helped me out a while back.
I thought he was a nice guy.

Well, he's an asshole!

Hmm.
I didn't know that.

A while later I told them that since we had 4 people I was gonna go check on Gary because I owed him one.
After I directed him and tossed a few blocks,
he came over and helped everyone else finish loading.
Then they all got to talking and having a good, clean Christian good time.
:smile:

As often as not, you get what you're looking for.

Just sayin'.
Yeah nobody wants a White/GMC. They ain't "cool."

How reliable are they? I'm looking at anything and everything at this point. Leaning towards getting nothing. 😂

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
Yeah nobody wants a White/GMC. They ain't "cool."

How reliable are they? I'm looking at anything and everything at this point. Leaning towards getting nothing. 😂
As reliable as about anything else.
But this was a long time ago. I doubt you'll find one in roadable condition.
:biggrin-2: