ELD info.

elboriqua

Hi everybody, I have been looking around for some info on what I need to have to be a O/O. Here is a question, how do you go about in getting the ELD sistem. Or who do you go to get it? This is just for starters. I have many more question thanks in advance. Johnny.

GAnthony

The Eldest Member
Supporter
Hi everybody, I have been looking around for some info on what I need to have to be a O/O. Here is a question, how do you go about in getting the ELD sistem. Or who do you go to get it? This is just for starters. I have many more question thanks in advance. Johnny.
these guys, maybe be able to help, give them time to respond

mndriver mndriver

ironpony ironpony

Injun Injun

i am company driver and still on paper, so i can't help you.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Lots of systems out there. Be wary of the cheap stuff. You get what you pay for.

Teletrac is horrible.
QualComm is more money, but easy to use and lots of features, many of which, you may not need.
I've never worked with PeopleNet.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
From what I've seen, all the ELD system providers have a website that you sign up on. If there's hardware involved, it gets shipped to you. Web interfaces are downloaded onto whatever compatible device you're going to use.

I haven't seen anything that doesn't have a monthly fee, so plan on supplying a credit card number that they can bill to.

Try googling "ELD" or "ELD system" - and you should get plenty of choices. Make sure you do your research before signing up. My thought is try to get a demo period so that you can see how easy the device or user interface is going to be to use.

This popped up, and might be a useful resource:

2017 ELD Buyers’ Guide

elboriqua

Thanks guys, just so you know I got more question for you guys. But will do one at a time. I got till December to get all my ducks in a row. That's when all my fund will be unlock and I can start buying my equipment.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Most of the good ones will require carriers with less that 5 or 10 trucks to pay the entire year up front.

I know bigroad wants me to pay $300/ truck up front. Keeptruckin' wants me to pay $260 for one truck and $290 for my second truck since it needs a 6-pin connector.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Thanks guys, just so you know I got more question for you guys. But will do one at a time. I got till December to get all my ducks in a row. That's when all my fund will be unlock and I can start buying my equipment.
Have you ever been on an elog/eld system before?

elboriqua

Ironponey i have not, if I understand you correctly. Last time I did any logs was in 1991. This is why I'm doing all this serch. Like I said I better have all my duck in a row when I take the dive and buy truck and trailer. Any advice is welcome. Just don't tell me I shoulnd do this. I give up trucking back then because I was given a grate aportunety with the company that I'm with now. That was 26 years ago. And I have to say that was a hard desition for me because I like the road. And not been confined inside of a building with no windows was not my cup of tee. But I had to think of the wife and kids. And the big plus the money was to good to be true. I'm one lucky basterd. I was at the wright pleace and the wright time. Thanks for the info Mndriver

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Then I suggest that you download one if the cheap software apps that enforced compliance to the drive line. Your approach to logging will be quite different than it was on paper - and it's better to get the learning curve over and done before your finances become dependent on it.

elboriqua

Thank. Mndriver good to know. Wright now I'm working to see what's gone be the star up cost for me. The biggest one that I'm concern is insurance. I'm just wondering if there gone insure me. Sence I can't prove that I haven't been bihind the wheel in over twenty years. Even do I have driven my father law truck.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
First thing you need to do is find out if you have a CDL.

Then contact an insurance agent to find out if he can get you coverage.

If you are going full independent, my agent has told me new venture are going $15-20k to start.

elboriqua

Mndriver, I do have my CDL. Even do I was not driving much all this years I kept it current. I screwed up last year I let it elaps but I got lucky and the state of Iowa you have a therty day grace period. I only had one day left. Any way I have been checking with the insurance this week so far I just got one quote back of almost 17,000. I'm waiting on the others wright now.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Insurance really won't carry about your actual driving so long as it shows not lapsing on the state report.

elboriqua

It won't show as elaps because I got it before the therty days. And like I said I got luck for not paying atention on what year expired.