ELD / Computer Issues

racip253

We have a driver that has a 2013 Volvo 670 with I-shift. He's been having issues with the truck for the last few months, and has now had 3 transmissions and a bunch of other stuff replaced also. This driver is a little stubborn and has been going to the same shop each time, and these people to me seem like they have no idea what the problem is and their throwing parts at it. The new thing they are telling our driver is that they think his ELD is causing the issue (loss of power, not shifting, not able to do a re-gen, ect.). Has anyone heard of this or experience this? Our safety coordinator for our company isn't convinced that the ELD could cause that issue.

We use Omnitracs.

Any help/ recommendations is appreciated!

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
We have a driver that has a 2013 Volvo 670 with I-shift. He's been having issues with the truck for the last few months, and has now had 3 transmissions and a bunch of other stuff replaced also. This driver is a little stubborn and has been going to the same shop each time, and these people to me seem like they have no idea what the problem is and their throwing parts at it. The new thing they are telling our driver is that they think his ELD is causing the issue (loss of power, not shifting, not able to do a re-gen, ect.). Has anyone heard of this or experience this? Our safety coordinator for our company isn't convinced that the ELD could cause that issue.

We use Omnitracs.

Any help/ recommendations is appreciated!
I've never heard of an Omnitracs unit causing such problems. I ran that and it's predecessor, Qualcomm for years.

My opinion is that the shop is using that as a smoke screen for their incompetence.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
It's quite possible that with an older truck you have a wiring issue. With all the bad roads, chafing insulation can cause intermittent shorts/opens that distort the digital data used to connect the various computers together. My opinion is that you need a shop that can troubleshoot the entire system, not just the pieces.

Good luck!

racip253

That is what I was thinking as well, I haven't been impressed by anything this shop has done or said, especially after hearing some responses on this forum and reading online. The driver having issues is a nice guy and just pays his bill without questioning stuff because he doesn't like confrontation, I think they're just taking advantage of that. I appreciate the help!

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
That is what I was thinking as well, I haven't been impressed by anything this shop has done or said, especially after hearing some responses on this forum and reading online. The driver having issues is a nice guy and just pays his bill without questioning stuff because he doesn't like confrontation, I think they're just taking advantage of that. I appreciate the help!
I mentioned this to the reps of Omnitracs at the MATS show, they agreed that there's no way that their units can interfere in that manner. Their equipment only passively reads data off the internal communications bus.