Drowsy Driving is Impaired Driving

GAnthony

Non-Canadian truck driver
Supporter
shouldn't then, these people, after a crash, be ordered to take a sleep test, like some clinics/doctors are telling truckers they must do..??

there are more 4 wheelers licensed drivers than CDL drivers, why should they get a "freebie" on this..???

Drowsy Driving

the CDC was on my morning local news today, regarding this

Dangers of Drowsy Driving

even an excerpt from the AAA as well

https://newsroom.aaa.com/2018/02/drowsy-driving-dont-asleep-wheel/

seems to me, that the 4 wheelers are drowsy behind the wheel more than truckers.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Because you can't regulate personal responsibility and behavior like a commercial business.

GAnthony

Supporter
Because you can't regulate personal responsibility and behavior like a commercial business.
oh i know, it was a rhetorical question(s).

they would get on the ass of thier congressmen and senators in a heart beat, if they were hounded like a CDL driver is.

maybe once an investigation is concluded, thier insurance companies ought to drop them.

Gdjjr

It's a slippery slope. Next thing there will be "driving while drowsy check points"- laws are supposed to punish after the fact- if someone causes a wreck- the why is immaterial.

GAnthony

Supporter
It's a slippery slope. Next thing there will be "driving while drowsy check points"- laws are supposed to punish after the fact- if someone causes a wreck- the why is immaterial.
there are check points for drunks, so why not for drowsy drivers?

I don’t get tired at night. So many years on linehaul I have to use drugs to go to sleep during the day
I see plenty of sleepy drivers wandering lanes and running off the road,failing to dim headlights. It’s the major cause of all accidents next to just plain stupid which there just is no cure
F9D549D2-1FF2-43B2-9A5F-A33013DCC3A0.jpeg

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
oh i know, it was a rhetorical question(s).

they would get on the ass of thier congressmen and senators in a heart beat, if they were hounded like a CDL driver is.

maybe once an investigation is concluded, thier insurance companies ought to drop them.
Minnesota just passed another version of a hands free bill. I think this now puts us at 3 or 4 similar laws that don't get enforced u less you are the cause of a fatal accident.

Minnesota also puts drowsy driving under impaired as well. But only when you kill someone will it be enforced.

I've had ambulance attendants tell me they are transporting people on the second 12 hour shift with no down time for sleep.

Makes ya real happy being strapped into a gurney in their bus.

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
there are check points for drunks, so why not for drowsy drivers?
Why not for drugs or other contraband?

Hell let's just set up emissions controls testing in the middle of the interstate and anyone who's catalytic converter isn't working gets dragged off to the gulag? How about that?

4th amendment? What the hell is that? :dunno:

BrandonCDLtrucker

Hell let's just set up emissions controls testing in the middle of the interstate and anyone who's catalytic converter isn't working gets dragged off to the gulag? How about that?

The 4th amendment doesn't apply everywhere, just like the first doesn't either.

You have no right to unreasonable search and seizure when operating a commercial vehicle on public roads. You can be pulled over and inspected, inside and out, at any time for any reason or none at all.

You don't have a right to say what you want at work. No first amendment rights when being paid by someone.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
The 4th amendment doesn't apply everywhere, just like the first doesn't either.

You have no right to unreasonable search and seizure when operating a commercial vehicle on public roads. You can be pulled over and inspected, inside and out, at any time for any reason or none at all.

You don't have a right to say what you want at work. No first amendment rights when being paid by someone.
And you'd be wrong about that.

BrandonCDLtrucker

About which part? Please tell me and back it up with proof.

Your Free Speech Rights (Mostly) Don't Apply At Work

We all know DOT can pull you over just to check your logs. If you refuse, you're done. They can pull you over for no reason. So no 4th amendment right. You are participating in federally regulated commerce. You are subject to search at any time.

Your CDL is considered "implied consent." By operating a commercial vehicle on federal and state roads you consent to being searched on same.

eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

§396.9 Inspection of motor vehicles and intermodal equipment in operation.
(a) Personnel authorized to perform inspections. Every special agent of the FMCSA (as defined in appendix B to this subchapter) is authorized to enter upon and perform inspections of a motor carrier's vehicles in operation and intermodal equipment in operation.

Last edited:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
All of it, and while you're at it, go back to remedial civics class. Read the Constitution. There are no exceptions in the 4th Amendment that suspend it's protections for CDL holders, or citizens who happen to be on the road. The part about CDL holders was upheld by the US District Court in MN as part of the cases that voided the infamous use of the MN DOT "Driver Fatigue Checklist."

You can say any damn thing you want in the workplace. There is no law against it, outside of speach that would intentionally harm others like yelling "FIRE!!!" in a crowded building - there could be some reprocussions from the local gubbermint over that if someone was hurt. Outside of that, barring loss of employment, there are no other deleterious effects of shooting off your mouth in the workplace.

BrandonCDLtrucker

Buddy I just showed you proof. All you say is "you're wrong." Well the federal govt says I'm right. Care to post any actual evidence other than "you're wrong?"

The first amendment ONLY has to do with the GOVERNMENT trying to quell your speech. Not a private employer. Just like the gov't can't quell speech, it can't force an employer to retain and employee who has violated company policy for running their mouth.

Does Your Right to Free Speech Extend to the Workplace?

There are exceptions to anything. Just like the 2nd amendment doesn't give you a right to own rocket launchers.

Last edited:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
You're still wrong. You can say any damn thing you want to in this country with very few exceptions, those being hate speach, and things that may cause harm to others.

You're changing your argument now that you've been called on it. Let me remind you:

You can say any *******ed thing you want. Now your talking about government censorship of protected speach which is something different.

As far as 396.9 is concerned, the only inspection a federal officer can perform on the interior of your truck without a search warrant is is to check for exhaust leaks.

Maybe you ought to learn about what you're shooting your mouth off about before you go sticking your foot in it.

GAnthony

Supporter

that's right, let's do that..and for more roadside checks, let's have flip flop check points as well..

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter

"Probable Cause" and "The War on Drugs" rendered this a gray area. That's why you see black people everywhere with cops behind them, and thier stuff all over the ditch while the sit on the berm.

128 years ago, Memorial Day weekend, heading home. I was up north on Hwy 8 and was doing 72 in a 55.

As I came over a small rise I met a state trooper, and my radar detector went apeshit.

He had me dead to rights. I started slowing down and yanked the bird dog off the windshield and threw it on the bunk.

BY the time he turned around I was already on the shoulder with the truck off and the windows open.

I had A TON of cherry scented stink tree air fresheners in that truck. It was a fully carpeted WIA model volvo and the carpets were pretty old and reeked. I couldn't smell them, but he could. He questioned me to the point of me being pissed about drugs in the truck. Then he asked if he could come in and search for drugs.

He held the 72 mph ticket over my head like a dark cloud, and I wanted to get the hell home so I let him.

In his search, he actually grabbed the radar detector and threw it aside, then a few seconds later was done, and just left me alone. No ticket, no radar detector ticket

I was astounded I didn't get hammered for a radar detector, speeding, and a ****ty attitude all at once. I remained baffled for years.

Turns out, if you consent to a search, and an item is mentioned that they're specifically looking for, anything else they find in that search has to be disregarded, and is inadmissible in court. Trooper dude must have known that.

Also, come to find out that in the recent past, there was an 8 million dollar cocaine bust on that very stretch of road.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
"Probable Cause" and "The War on Drugs" rendered this a gray area. That's why you see black people everywhere with cops behind them, and thier stuff all over the ditch while the sit on the berm.

128 years ago, Memorial Day weekend, heading home. I was up north on Hwy 8 and was doing 72 in a 55.

As I came over a small rise I met a state trooper, and my radar detector went apeshit.

He had me dead to rights. I started slowing down and yanked the bird dog off the windshield and threw it on the bunk.

BY the time he turned around I was already on the shoulder with the truck off and the windows open.

I had A TON of cherry scented stink tree air fresheners in that truck. It was a fully carpeted WIA model volvo and the carpets were pretty old and reeked. I couldn't smell them, but he could. He questioned me to the point of me being pissed about drugs in the truck. Then he asked if he could come in and search for drugs.

He held the 72 mph ticket over my head like a dark cloud, and I wanted to get the hell home so I let him.

In his search, he actually grabbed the radar detector and threw it aside, then a few seconds later was done, and just left me alone. No ticket, no radar detector ticket

I was astounded I didn't get hammered for a radar detector, speeding, and a ****ty attitude all at once. I remained baffled for years.

Turns out, if you consent to a search, and an item is mentioned that they're specifically looking for, anything else they find in that search has to be disregarded, and is inadmissible in court. Trooper dude must have known that.

Also, come to find out that in the recent past, there was an 8 million dollar cocaine bust on that very stretch of road.
I'd rather have an attorney argue the finer points of law for me than PO some chick with a badge an' a gun, an' th' power to lock me up for bein' a jerk on th' roadside.

Duck

Bumper sticker slogan goes here
Supporter
how about a road block, where everyone is asked thier gender and if anything other than male or female is answered, they get executed on the spot..???

there should be no more than 2 answers.....male...female.....or........bang...bang....
Nope. Gotta allow for refusals to answer. It's our God given right. Civil rights must be protected. 😉