Dress code in schools

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5160818

The Toronto district school board is relaxing its dress code, yet at the same time being very specific at what’s not allowed.

All I had to listen to yesterday was CBC1, it was interesting to hear both sides debating if this was a good or bad move

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
My kids in Georgia have always had to wear school uniforms. Did not save on cost. I could of dressed them cheaper at Walmart. However, shoes became to thing to identify gang affiliation and popularity status.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
My kids in Georgia have always had to wear school uniforms. Did not save on cost. I could of dressed them cheaper at Walmart. However, shoes became to thing to identify gang affiliation and popularity status.
Buying kids clothes from Walmart is a very tricky deal.

Because kids grow out of stuff so fast, most things are okay.

But some things like shoes as they get older it pays to spend a little more.

Only thing I’ll buy from Walmart is underwear and socks.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
well then the footwear should have been regulated into the dress code, again, to equalize all the students.

yes, i do now for a fact, that when we sent our kids to catholic school (only 2 years worth) the school uniforms can only be bought at one store, so of course the prices were not cheap.

but given the cost of "designer" jeans, footwear, that all the kids wear these days, it was cheap.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
When I wa as kid one kid got stabbed and robbed of his big puffy Starter jacket with NY Giants logos all over it. Nike Air Jordan’s were mandatory for this same crowd.

Across town, the catholic high school all wore uniforms but believe me when I tell you those kids behavior was no better, and it seemed even worse from being cooped up and so rigidly disciplined.

They didn’t have any stabbings, but I’d say per capita everyone other type of behavioral issue was mirrored.

And that one kid was just a born criminal anyway....

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
When I wa as kid one kid got stabbed and robbed of his big puffy Starter jacket with NY Giants logos all over it. Nike Air Jordan’s were mandatory for this same crowd.

Across town, the catholic high school all wore uniforms but believe me when I tell you those kids behavior was no better, and it seemed even worse from being cooped up and so rigidly disciplined.

They didn’t have any stabbings, but I’d say per capita everyone other type of behavioral issue was mirrored.

And that one kid was just a born criminal anyway....
no i don't believe that school uniforms over regular clothing makes the student any better (or worse), it just equalizes them. the parents spend way too much money for clothing just so the kids can be individual, it's ridiculous.

i'm just glad i ain't got that problem no more, but parents of today will certainly send more money than we did back in our kids days.

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
The school isn’t picking up the cost of the uniforms.

Ever.

And private schools are also a sincere pain in the ass with fundraisers.

And the teachers are paid significantly less than other teachers.

We had one around here that got so mad with a kids performance in their hoity toity school, he thought the parents were not doing their jobs (and they probably weren’t) that they ended up in a screaming match in a parking lot and the teacher beat on the hood of the parents car he was so pissed.

But yes, as a kid who several times went to school wearing the same clothes from a year or two ago, and dealing with that shame, I also believe uniform go at least a little ways toward solving some issues.

(((ME)))

I started school wearing homemade clothing from flour sacks.....then later as I got older all my clothing was home sewed.....and I still got a good education.
So pleased , my children and grand children are all adults out of school systems of today.

Mike

Staff member
Buying kids clothes from Walmart is a very tricky deal.
Old Navy and Ross are the best places to buy school clothes. Especially Ross because they get the overstocked name brand stuff and super discount it.

Kohl’s sells it for $29.99, good chance you can find it at Ross for 3.99.

With 3 kids, you learn these things, lol.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I was destined for the Catholic high school that required uniforms being as I spent 10 years in the Catholic system. I bucked the trend and chose the public system because of their trades program.
I am pretty sure my parents were relieved they did not have to buy uniforms from the only acceptable supplier, The uniforms are not cheap.
I learned quickly that high school is a fashion show! I worked to buy my own school clothes and especially shoes. My parents damned near killed me when they found out I spent $70 in the 80s on a pair of of shoes, BKs, British Knights. All leather, quilted leather with suede, That would be the equivalent to buying Jordan's today.
I worked and bought my own clothes but, You can never keep up to the Preppies and who in the hell would want to anyway? :nails:
Most of the kids at the Catholic uniform school spent their money on drugs and or had new cars. Keeping up with the Jones's does not stop because you wear a uniform.