Owner Operator DOT compliance

Anyone use a third party DOT compliance office?

Or what other options are there to keep up with changing legislations?

Mike

Staff member

I'm not.

I think the best option is to do just a little bit of reading/listening each week to stay on top of any changes or potential changes.

3rd party compliance is going to keep your paperwork in order in terms of Federal compliance. If you are leased to a carrier, they had better be doing that already, otherwise I would be looking for another carrier ASAP.

Being a member of organizations such as OOIDA helps. Whenever I need some guidance on something, there is somebody there to help everyday.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
JJ Kellar offer a tabbed binder that references the regs by subject. That means if you have a question about say if "purple zip ties" are legal, you look that up instead of thumbing through 96 numbered paragraphs of 23 different regulation titles, then giving up in disgust.

You gotta screw up pretty bad to need a Compliance Officer. Just sayin'...

Mike

Staff member
You gotta screw up pretty bad to need a Compliance Officer. Just sayin'...
Be surprised at how many out here, with authority, are flying by the seat of their pants. One audit away from big trouble.

First thing to get many of these folks would be maintenance records.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Be surprised at how many out here, with authority, are flying by the seat of their pants. One audit away from big trouble.

First thing to get many of these folks would be maintenance records.
Yuppers! Get in a serious accident, and you can't prove that the truck was properly maintained, the gubbermint and personal injury attorneys are gonna dance all over your ass.

Last edited:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Skateboard puller Skateboard puller You are of course aware of the latest DOT/FMSCA rule that states and I quote " all ungoverned trucks must slow down and allow governed trucks into the left lane to complete their pass regardless of how long it takes to complete said pass";)

dchawk81

Don't forget the one about how there's no such thing as a blocker.

tommyh

me a compliance officer?yea when he turns the blue lights on

changing legislations?I usually listen to truck drivers raise he!!There`s not that much going on in the reg changing rooms today I hear

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
A Motor Carrier's Guide to Improving Highway Safety

Set my business up with that from the git go. New carrier audit happened, it followed the inspection form line by line.

The ONE thing you don't want to mess around on is the drug program. Make sure you have a test on file for yourself or any driver you have and don't even think about not being in a consortium. The one thing that will get you put OOS in your audit in a moment.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I'm not.

I think the best option is to do just a little bit of reading/listening each week to stay on top of any changes or potential changes.

3rd party compliance is going to keep your paperwork in order in terms of Federal compliance. If you are leased to a carrier, they had better be doing that already, otherwise I would be looking for another carrier ASAP.

Being a member of organizations such as OOIDA helps. Whenever I need some guidance on something, there is somebody there to help everyday.
Can a Canuck join OOIDA? I’ll call them today

The DOT (MTO) says the onus is on the employer to provide training/compliance. If they can’t/won’t then it’s up to the driver to hire a 3rd party trainer

My issue (issues?) is arguing with the employer over regs. I can show them in black and white the regs and they want to argue with me over them. Then their safety officer wants to question the regs too, because they don’t know all the regs :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Even today I’m arguing with them. I called in at 10:30 last night. Hey I’m here, gotta get parked, be there 9 or 10 am.

Get a call at 9:30. Where are you? You were supposed to be there for 5 am

I don’t do 5 am :thefinger:

Secondly, 11 pm means 9 am start plus 30 minutes pretrip :thefinger:

I didn’t sign up for Francis the ELD. Your choice, log violation or run legal IDGAF.

Anyway trying to keep up with two sets of HOS, two sets of securement rules plus two sets of driving rules is a lot. I had two radar traps on off ramps in Quebec. Wtf. I don’t care, I don’t take off ramps fast. I’m usually slow and low. But is there a speed limit on off ramps in Quebec? Who da **** knows.

Canucks can join OOIDA. $45 a year, but if I wait until next week, it’s truckers for troops and it’s only $35. Help put a worthy cause and save money. Winning

The lady on the phone was funny when I gave her my zip code.

8 zed 9

Long pause...

Can you repeat that?

8 zed 9

Long pause....

So 8 zee as in zebra 9?

Correct! :biglaugh:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Skateboard puller Skateboard puller You can absolutely join OOIDA . I was a member and they have a Canadian that is elected when they hold elections.
OOIDA is in Both Canada and the U.S.

tommyh

I called a broker today about a lane I used to run with another company.I got the job but he says I have to update my form 150
says my Vmt was outdated and I needed to update it.They put me on 30 days probation.
I got 30 days to update it or I`m history.
VMT is vechile miles traveled
I called the IRP office after I tried to update it online only to run into the age old problem,I needed a online pin which i dont have.
She told me to fill the 150 out and fax it in,as I did.Now it will take them a year to update it if they do....I had never heard of VMT before.