Dog Not Good

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Thread starter #61
The property has the house centrally located, but there's a garage to the north, 3 barns, including one made of steel & one with a steel roof, underground electrical wires buried to power a shed, a chicken coop, a corn dryer made entirely out of steel, etc. I don't know how all those structures would affect the radio signals for a wireless system but we'd want the dog to have complete run of the property, minus about a 10 foot buffer zone around the perimeter. Another potential problem is that we have plans to shallow out the grade for the ditch out front because it's impossible to mow with a ZTR mower with just caster wheels on the front. And then there's the driveway that I occasionally need to run an 11,500 lb steer axle over. Not sure how to keep a buried wire shallow enough to work, while also protecting it from damage by the heavy truck tires.

Your best bet is sch 40 1/2" PVC pipe, and under the driveway insert it in 1". This allows it flex with protection. Bury it 6" deep around the perimeter and 1 ' at the drive. The control box will have a "strength" adjustment that basically sets the field between the collar beeping and shocking. Use the stubborn dog collars on anything over 40#.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Thread starter #63
I think we got 500' of wire and a bunch of staples. The wire is intended to simply be laid across the surface in the grass and held down with staples every so many feet.

The wire eventually falls down below the grass & you can't see it.

There are two garden hoses running across the lawn from a basement window, leading out to the ditch for pumping water out when the basement floods. After a few weeks, the hose becomes almost invisible even though it's red. As long as it's below the height of the mower deck, that's as deep as it needs to be , ... for normal people.

We're not normal around here. I have a farm tractor with paddle drive tires and ribbed steers that makes deep tracks in the grass, plus we're always driving cars & pickups & occasionally loaded 18 wheelers in the grass. That would probably cause a break in the dog fence wire.

Putting a wire deep enough not to be damaged by vehicle tires would be a task when it's that many linear feet (we'd be encircling 2.7 acres). The earth acts as an electrical ground & also kills radio signals. So I don't know if putting it very far down when it's intended to be on the surface, would be a good idea, given the fact that it's a small gauge wire & the power thingy is only going to have enough voltage for so many feet.

PVC seems like a good idea if it's a few inches down though.

And simply not driving trucks & tractors & cars in the grass isn't an option either because we are hillbillies.

I need to find out how many inches of dirt & stone the radio signals can penetrate, and how many feet of wire the thing can push current through before the resistance in the copper wire gets too high.

I had mine down 6-8". And I have to warn you if you get a lot of lightning in your area save the trouble and hook a welder to the fencer and blow it now. They do not handle it well and is the reason I have stopped using them. At $100 a pop they get pricey in the spring. And don't bother with the $40 eBay ones.

I had my fence set at about a 4' range from the wire and it was fairly consistent even where I buried it deeper for the wreckers and big truck to come through.

2xR

******* Derelict *******
Supporter
My dog was contained by an Invisible Fence most of her life... when I moved her from my brother's home to mine I also moved the system. That was a waste of time and money. That mutt is so well conditioned, all I needed was the marker flags. She won't go near them. I moved and she's been behind chain-link for the past six months with complete run of the yard. She is wearing a path to a spot where she meets the neighbor's dog and they bark at each other. I think I'll stick two flags in the ground and see if she does a go-around.