Do you feel UNSAFE during sleep at truck stops? Would a mechanical door lock help you?

LizzyJakab

Hello I am Lizzy Jakab. I would like to learn more about the trucking industry in the USA. I am working in the automotive industry in Europe. Our company is based in the Netherlands and services truck brands mainly within Europe. An important topic for our current clients is safety of truckers during sleep. I would like to get to know your experiences in the USA:

Do you feel safe / unsafe during sleep at truck stops?

Suppose your truck can be equipped with a MECHANICAL DOOR LOCK (see picture of an example of how such a lock could work, needs custimazation for your truck doors), how much would you like to have a mechanical door lock in your truck?

The more replies from you the better we can convince truck brands in the USA to get this product.

Thanks a lot!PB004_nightlock_II_220ppi_01_191121.jpg

Last edited:

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Mostly no. In higher crime areas, there are enough stops that employ security services that I don't worry about it. Crime is sensationalized by cable news enough that you'd think it's much worse than it really is.

Suppose your truck can be equipped with a MECHANICAL DOOR LOCK (see picture), how much would you like to have a mechanical door lock in your truck?
Not in particular. As it's been pointed out by others, if you feel the need to add additional door securement, looping a load strap to through the arm rests will make it difficult to break in.

As many people as there are who carry guns with them, only a fool would try to break into a parked truck.

GAnthony

Methuselah
Supporter
Hello I am Lizzy Jakab. I would like to learn more about the trucking industry in the USA. I am working in the automotive industry in Europe. Our company is based in the Netherlands and services truck brands mainly within Europe. An important topic for our current clients is safety of truckers during sleep. I would like to get to know your experiences in the USA:

Suppose your truck can be equipped with a MECHANICAL DOOR LOCK (see picture), how much would you like to have a mechanical door lock in your truck?

The more replies from you the better we can convince truck brands in the USA to get this product.

Thanks a lot!View attachment 53205
the pics do not show how the lock is secured to the inner door panel. there is more plastic in the doors then there ever was.....meaning not too much area to bolt it into the door frame. also, the truck i drive, does not have that steel bar/hand hold, that you show, what then..??

then again, you are in another country. your trucks are way different than ours. and just looking at the drawings about your lock?

where i see that red button..?? looks like 2 pieces put together, is that a plastic lock?

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I have never felt unsafe sleeping in the truck. I try to park in safe areas but sometimes you have to park in sketchy areas like Detroit for example.
I sleep well, what is the worst that could possibly happen? They shoot you and you die?:dunno:
C'est la vie= That's life:dunno:

Mike

Staff member
I’m not going to park in high crime areas, so not worried about it. Even if I did, still not going to be worried about it. I’m a pretty light sleeper, so it’s unlikely anyone would ever successfully make it inside if the truck.

Michael JT

Not anything I would pay money for. A simple length of cheap, light hardware store chain looped through the door handles would do the trick and be able to quickly be unhooked in the event of an emergency like a fire. I don't know what you have to do to unlock your device but I'll bet it takes longer.

krelithous

Supporter
and how is that gonna stop a thief :confused-96: . if there determined enough they will get in your truck no matter how they get in. so um any devices on stopping a thief from breaking windows.:confused-96: id'e waste my $$$ on a good ole fashion baseball bat and let them even think about breaking in before i would that!!!

Nomad1

B()()()B
Supporter
I think a few stickers notifying the potential perpetrators that they are on camera, the truck is protected by a security system, the driver is armed, etc. would be more effective.

Duck

Custom title
Supporter
I think a few stickers notifying the potential perpetrators that they are on camera, the truck is protected by a security system, the driver is armed, etc. would be more effective.
Anything indicating that you are armed is begging for blue state gestapo to murder you to punish you for exercising your constitutional rights.