Do modern tractors typically have security systems for the cab/sleeper?

Thomas Mixter

Anti-intrusion alarms? Burglar alarms and whatnot?

Ideally, if somebody is trying to force a cab/sleeper door open as I sleep inside, I would want some kind of loud noise-maker and bright flashing lights to go off. I also want to be alerted at once should any breakin attempt occur. A truck making loud noises (repeated horn blasts) or flashing its brights at a parking area is going to draw attention.

Thomas Mixter

Do you have all this stuff on your house?
No, not all of it but I gather truckers sometimes park in some nasty neighborhoods. Downtown Boise, ID where I live is very safe and low crime but my apartment has been burglarized twice over the past two years. Once from my back patio and once when I was away from home. I do now have a deadbolt on my front door. A lock on my bedroom door and a loaded shotgun hanging by my bed. I have two smoke detectors in my hallway, one with built-in light, and a smoke detector in my bedroom. I have a bedroom window but it's small and high and I am not athletic enough to crawl out it not even with a step ladder. I tried this once before. So, I keep a fireman's pulaski axe by this window in case I have to punch a big hole in my thin sheetrock wall fast in case of fire. I doubt a fire is going to block my exit through my bedroom door with all those smoke alarms but I take no chances still. I have a fire extinguisher near my kitchen stove and my apartment building has fire alarm handles outside in the corridor. I live in a unit a ground level making emergency escape easier. I keep both my hose reel and barbecue on my patio under padlock and chain.

I don't worry about CO or gas because this is an all-electric apartment. Trucks have diesel internal-combustion engines, sometimes for the APU, with exhaust systems that have been known to fail and cause CO gas to enter the driver cab and sleeping areas. Living inside a motor vehicle has its own special concerns for safety and security. My mother used to tell me that those pickup truck campers were very unsafe to live in. A great fire hazard as well as being top-heavy while driving.

Truck drivers are prime targets for armed robbery because they are often mistakenly perceived as carrying a lot of cash. I almost never carry more than $30 on my person these days in cash. I like don't like to carry any more than I care to lose. The rest is debit and cash rewards cards.

Last edited:

Thomas Mixter

I bet he's got an emergency escape door on his bedroom, complete with an inflatable slide if it's upstairs. 😁
One time when I had a second-level unit, I did keep an emergency fire escape rope ladder that folded on the balcony and in a plastic storage box outside my sliding glass bedroom door. Nowadays, I always try to rent a place at ground level. I hate humping stuff upstairs anyway.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Anti-intrusion alarms? Burglar alarms and whatnot?

Ideally, if somebody is trying to force a cab/sleeper door open as I sleep inside, I would want some kind of loud noise-maker and bright flashing lights to go off. I also want to be alerted at once should any breakin attempt occur. A truck making loud noises (repeated horn blasts) or flashing its brights at a parking area is going to draw attention.
If some one is trying to break into your truck you should open the door, smile and invite them in. :D
i am sure that might freak out some would be B&E artists.;)

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I would like to greet them with my shotgun if it weren't for all these gun-control laws we have to face. I so desperately long for national concealed carry.
If you are going to go that route, I would opt for a hand gun as opposed to a shotgun given the small confines of a truck. 👍

Duck

Quack
Supporter
I have a bedroom window but it's small and high and I am not athletic enough to crawl out it not even with a step ladder. I tried this once before. So, I keep a fireman's pulaski axe by this window in case I have to punch a big hole in my thin sheetrock wall fast in case of fire.
You should just ask your local fire department if they'll sell you a full firemen suit with breathing equipment. And maybe a used pumper truck just to be safe.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
Boise, ID
This explains a lot. With some of your comments I am begging to wonder if you aren’t a fan of Richard Butler.

I don't worry about CO or gas because this is an all-electric apartment. Trucks have diesel internal-combustion engines, sometimes for the APU, with exhaust systems that have been known to fail and cause CO gas to enter the driver cab and sleeping areas. Living inside a motor vehicle has its own special concerns for safety and security. My mother used to tell me that those pickup truck campers were very unsafe to live in. A great fire hazard as well as being top-heavy while driving.
You have a higher risk of your A/C system leaking refrigerant into the cab and killing you than CO gas poisoning.

Truck drivers are prime targets for armed robbery because they are often mistakenly perceived as carrying a lot of cash. I almost never carry more than $30 on my person these days in cash. I like don't like to carry any more than I care to lose. The rest is debit and cash rewards cards.
May have been true in the 70s and 80s when guys had to carry cash to purchase fuel. These days everyone knows nobody carries cash anymore. You’re more likely to have you’re electronics stolen while you’re inside the truck stop showering than getting held up for your wallet.

Also, you are more likely to be shot for cutting in line at the fuel island or running your mouth at another driver than you are getting robbed.