Diabetes diet?

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I thought something was fishy
I figure i was/am a sugar addict
Almost everyone is. It's hard as heck to break, and it's what turns us into type Ii diabetics.

Thats a good place to start... kick the sugar habit. Start reading content labels too. You'll be shocked at how much sugar is in absolutely everything.

PDP_VitaminWater_PowerCDragonfruit_20oz.png

Ya think "Vitamin Water" is healthy for ya? 30-ish grams of sugar in every bottle. That's almost 8 (count 'em! EIGHT!!) teaspoons of sugar in every bottle.

012pic1.jpg

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
Any sweet substance triggers your body to release insulin. When the calories your body was expecting don't materialize, you get hunger signals. So you eat more. That's how aspartame and the others defeat their stated purpose and actually make you fatter.

There are only 16 calories per teaspoon of real sugar. So eat the sugar and pass on the artificial sweeteners. Just eat less of it is all.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Any sweet substance triggers your body to release insulin. When the calories your body was expecting don't materialize, you get hunger signals. So you eat more. That's how aspartame and the others defeat their stated purpose and actually make you fatter.

There are only 16 calories per teaspoon of real sugar. So eat the sugar and pass on the artificial sweeteners. Just eat less of it is all.
The problem for both diabetics and prediabetics is not so much the calories, but the increasing resistance of the body to proper use of insulin to eliminate extra glucose from the bloodstream. Advising either to eat sugar or sugar substitutes is a lot like telling a mouse that eating rat poison is good for it.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter
The problem for both diabetics and prediabetics is not so much the calories, but the increasing resistance of the body to proper use of insulin to eliminate extra glucose from the bloodstream. Advising either to eat sugar or sugar substitutes is a lot like telling a mouse that eating rat poison is good for it.
Agreed. However, my point is artificial sweeteners don't net anybody anything. Except artificial sweetener manufacturers. So the key, aside from preventing diabetes in the first place a'la diet and excercise to maintain healthy weight, is to avoid both, but if you absolutely must have something sweet, go for the less evil of the two: regular old sugar. At least your body will get the satisfaction of the calories rather than the teaser...and you will be less hungry.

Has anybody ever stopped for two seconds and asked why the Laguna Navajo are 80-85% diabetic? That is an absolutely astronomical figure by anyone's standard. But why is it so high? Easy answer, actually. Look at what their traditional diet consisted of and the physical labor involved in procuring it. Then, look at the rations they have been given and the USDA's "food pyramid" showing government's idea of a "healthy" diet. Pretty big disconnect there.

oldhippietommy

I remember a guy I went to elementary school with named Billy
I saw his brother today and he said Billy died.Diabetes.
He had a kidney transplant,and eventually lost both legs.
man,that made me very sad.His brother said that was one reason
Billy had so much angry emotional swings in his early years

I need to cut down on those sweetners too
well,off to google Laguna Navajo and see what i find

Rigjockey

In Gord We Trust!
Supporter
I remember a guy I went to elementary school with named Billy
I saw his brother today and he said Billy died.Diabetes.
He had a kidney transplant,and eventually lost both legs.
man,that made me very sad.His brother said that was one reason
Billy had so much angry emotional swings in his early years

I need to cut down on those sweetners too
well,off to google Laguna Navajo and see what i find
Sorry for your loss.
I just hate when it is juvenile diabetes. Where a kid gets it by no fault of their own.:mad: Not being able to enjoy a care free childhood and enjoy all the sweets a kid should.
As for the others, Well, I feel bad for them too.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
It's a very serious disease, and shouldn't be taken lightly. It can be managed, but it takes discipline. Losing weight, diet, exercise, and blood sugar control is the drill.

Blood

Driveler Emeritus
Supporter
Buddy Best [see what I did there R J :sneaky:] from elementary school had juvenile diabetes.
It was pretty horrific in the beginning to watch him inject himself.
:stare2:

He did a lot of the things mentioned as an adult here when 'conventional wisdom' said otherwise.
He was (is?) a carpenter who has done everything from forming concrete and working rough-in to finish work and furniture making.

When the doctors would give him a diet to follow he would look it over and ask,
You realize that I work for a living, right?
:O_o:
If I follow this diet I'll waste away!

By the time he was 45 the doctors were saying that there's no way he shouldn't be a blind amputee.

He told them,
Yeah, and I probably would be if I listened to doctors!!

:biggrin-2:

Of course, he did a lot of things he shouldn't have done back in the day too...
like going on 3 day benders or downing a fifth with a half-gallon of coke in one sitting.
:cautious:

I used to tell him that damn coke was going to kill him but he wouldn't listen.
:frown:

He retired a few years ago and is living well down at the lake as far as I know.

Educate yourself on Carbohydrates.

Of Carbohydrates, there are three main, and one... that is often over-looked ~

Simple Carbs: All things processed, full of "simple" sugars, "simple" meaning that they digest and absorb quickly, opening up the cell membranes through the release of insulin. This is something, quite obviously, that you do NOT want, unless, of course, you are going into diabetic shock.

Complex Carbs (of which there are VERY FEW: Sweet Potatoes, Yams, Whole Grains and Legumes (beans)... in their PUREST form, not in a can, not processed, and certainly NOT with added sugars, fructose, HFCS, NOTHING "sugar"

Complex carbs do indeed have sugar in them, but not enough to cause an "insulin-spike'... they digest much slower, thereby releasing sugar/glucose at a much slower (safer) rate

Complex Carbs have a "sub-forum" (so to speak) they are called "Fibrous Carbs" ...these are all things dark green and/or leafy. Your body does NOT process them as an animal would. Your body does NOT glean sugar from them. They provide such an INSIGNIFICANT amount of calories that if fibrous carbs were all you ate, you would drop into a total state of Ketosis and caloric depletion. It takes so much energy (calories) to process fibrous carbs that many nutritionists and dietitians have called them "negative" calories: It takes more calories to digest them than the supply to your "diet" which should not be looked at as a sacrifice as much as it should be considered a 'manner' in which you eat.

There is yet one other "sub-forum" here due to the "green" mentioned: "Starchy" Carbs. These will be Lima Beans, Peas and the like. They should NOT be considered fibrous (although many people and nutritionists mistakenly clump them together)... these carbs release sugar nearly as fast as a simple carb in many cases.

Finally, "alcohol" Carbs.... alcohol sugar... whatever you want to call it, it is NOT something that your body uses for fuel, health or anything good. Unfortunately, alcohol is a staple in many folk's "diets"... take it or leave it, it is what it is. Alcohol sugars will process immediately as they are considered poison to the body. If you are eating crappy on top of drinking, you will get fat, period. The alcohol carbs will be released, the other calories will be stored, protein included.

Most dietitians also believe that protein does not and can NOT store as fat. Sadly, they are wrong, wrong, wrong! ANY calories above what your body needs or uses in a day will be stored as fat (period)

Why is exercise good for the Diabetic? Exercise creates a necessity for glucose absorption. Sitting on your azz all day does not. There are charts available on the internet for people who are interested showing how many approximate calories one might burn in an hour of driving, swimming, biking, walking, watching TV, sleeping, etc.

Knowing these things will help with balancing your diet.

Just because a Diabetic chooses to exercise does NOT mean that Type I Diabetes can be reversed. All it means is that by creating a necessity for glucose, you might be able to stabilize your condition as opposed to worsening it.

Insulin does not always work. Insulin abuse or misuse, whether it be supra-induced or inherited, is the very reason we have the disease in the first place.

When Insulin is called upon, it releases... only to find it is not needed. After a time, it will STOP responding, thereby creating the need for a synthetic form... and a needle.

It's kind of like ringing someone's doorbell and then running away. Pretty soon, they will stop answering the door.

Summary: Study up on Carbohydrates, don't listen to anyone without your own investigation (including me) and lastly, exercise does NOT mean that you have to join a gym.

If you have Type II Diabetes, you still have a chance, but ONLY IF YOU PUT IT IN CHECK! If you are a Type 1 Diabetic.... sadly, you are one for the rest of your days.

If you'd like to learn more about Diabetes, look up "Type 3 Diabetes"

Not only is Diabetes one of the MOST prevalent diseases that we see today, it is also one of the fastest-growing diseases of today.

Whats to blame? Who is to blame?

You tell me.....

I suppose I would be negligent if I didn't add the fact that "fake" sugars can also trigger an Insulin release. Fake sugars are so damn sweet that when they hit your tongue, your body can easily mistake them for real sugar.

Don't be fooled. There were studies done, and I know that Dr. Daliah can confirm this: Diet drinks supposedly free of sugar and a bunch of women were tested for fat gain on regular and diet sodas. The women drinking diet sodas got fatter. It took them a while to figure out why.

You just simply have to get used to walking away from the allure of sweets. Pretty rough.

Also, if you are diagnosed early with Type 1 Diabetes by your doc, he/she may inform you that your body is STILL producing Insulin. While this may or may not be true, the fact that your body is still producing a little Insulin means absolutely NOTHING.

You are still going to require exogenous Insulin shots, and be prepared, there are many types of Insulin. I'll let you find out why on your own.....

If you are an Interstate driver who gets far from home and sometimes loses cellular service, you best edumacate yourself thoroughly on your condition. Now you have more than just your ELD to pay attention to.