Detroit DD13 vs. DD15: Which Engine Is The Best Overall for operating at 80K Gross or less, and why?

Mike

Staff member
So, got an email and a phone call from the salesman this week.

One thing for sure, I am glad I waited on the truck. The next round of aerodynamic additions and safety changes are coming for the 2021 model( I think it is the 2021 model, could be the 2020 still). I could spec it all right now if I wanted, but the earliest you can put in for a build date in sometime in September.

Changes to the aerodynamics from front to back, including changes to the flow below system. Detroit assurance 5.0, complete cluster redesign that is basically like computer monitors (two screens, one 12" in front of you, and one 10" to the side). The new system will actually read upcoming road signs from a distance and display them on the instrument cluster. Basically, it will see speed limit changes before you can see the sign.

The trucks are getting really high tech.

A new Michelin tire that is supposedly exclusive to the Cascadia.

The new adaptive cruise control now goes down to 0mph. You can basically set the cruise and go stop light to stop light and the truck will start and stop in traffic all by itself (you have to watch the red lights, of course).

Salesman copied a bunch of this stuff in PDF format from a meeting he was in. not sure if any of this is publicly released yet, but he was told it wasn't.

Attaching what he sent me, it's a safe PDF.

Attachments

Mike

Staff member
So. A Tesla then.
I love technology. It's why I fought so hard against buying this glider. I was determined to get a truck with all the latest technology, but the emissions portion of that was killing me.

As for the nerdy stuff like the cluster displays and stuff, I absolutely love that.

dchawk81

Supporter
I love technology. It's why I fought so hard against buying this glider. I was determined to get a truck with all the latest technology, but the emissions portion of that was killing me.

As for the nerdy stuff like the cluster displays and stuff, I absolutely love that.
I hear you I'm just messing. I'd love all that sh*t.

My first truck will likely be old just for the dipping-the-toe-in aspect of purchase price and emissions, not because I'd prefer a clackety bucket.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter

You’re an odd duck, mister

I like gauges and switches labelled in English words. All the newer trucks with multifunction stalks on the steering column **** me off. My turn signal switch does three things, left right or four ways. No hunting for that stupid triangle button on the dash somewhere

Need a god dam degree in numerology and symbology to drive anything newer than a 2009 :cautious:

Mike

Staff member
Need a god dam degree in numerology and symbology to drive anything newer than a 2009 :cautious:
I have a hybrid. 2015 truck, dinosaur engine.

That dinosaur engine saves my ass in emissions repairs, but it cost me near $2k in revenue this weekend alone given where I am. Truth be told, it probably costs me more than I care to admit given how it hamstrings me from running the west coast.

Mike

Staff member
Sure I'm totally retarded.
Live is like a box of chocolates....

I was surprised at how well this truck is holding value. One of the biggest reasons I am not waiting on the delivery of a new truck now is because I put everything together and realized how badly I was going to be hit by selling this truck. A typical 2015 truck, same mileage, is selling for $50-60k. I had this truck sold within a week for $95k. Ultimately had to shut down the purchase process to stop being fed buyers by my finance guy.
honestly, had I pushed the issue, and forced a sale before January 1, I think i could have easily gotten $100k+ for the truck. Lots of small fleets made alot of money last year, and wanted to add a truck like this to their fleet and get a tax deduction for 2018.

Problem is, I was going to get smacked by the IRS for the sale. This was the deciding factor in me keeping the truck.

For now, I am putting together a preliminary plan to get rid of the truck at the beginning of next year, or maybe just pay it off, buy a new one, and either hire a driver or offer up the truck in a lease purchase.

dchawk81

Supporter
IF o/o becomes a thing for me it's most likely going to be on a cheap truck/local work basis so that my fixed costs are minimal and wear will hopefully scale with income.

Ideally I'd like a truck I can pay cash for even if it needs an inframe right off the bat.