Detroit DD13 vs. DD15: Which Engine Is The Best Overall for operating at 80K Gross or less, and why?

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
There's other options too.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Buying a truck is hard, LOL.

Talked to potential buyer again. Willing to pay, still has to have the truck now. Who knew it would be so easy to sell a truck....... and so hard at the same time.

Decided to reach out to Penske to get actual numbers on a truck rental.

$1,000/Week + .18/mile = Roughly $6500/month figuring that up in my head at 10,000 miles a month. So basically, $35-40k in truck rental if I let my truck go this weekend. Factor out my current truck payment, and that is still a $15-20k net loss, and the fact of being paranoid about riding around in a rental truck and worried about anything happening to it. I'm guessing there would be an increase in insurance costs for the rental as well. Factor in downtime to moving from the sold truck to the rental, and the loss increases even more.

Maybe I should just order 10 trucks or so and start a leasing/rental company............
Say you order the truck, and then your current truck takes a few months to sell. That's the scenario you need to weigh against letting it go now.

Mike

Staff member
Say you order the truck, and then your current truck takes a few months to sell. That's the scenario you need to weigh against letting it go now.
Yeah, that is one of the scenarios I have considered.

The other concern is getting smacked by the tax man.

As much as I want a new truck, best financial decision seems to be keeping what I got for a while longer.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
This immediately crossed my mind, and if I had a location to store additional equipment I would do this.

I’ve came across trucks over the past couple years that I would have bought simply because they were a great deal had it not been for not having a place for them.

A physical business location is now part of a revised business plan I am slowly putting together.

JB Hunt: Part Deux
What about getting a ten grand wonder, yanking the emissions free engine, putting in some rebuild work and dropping that engine into your glider?
A driver that just retired had 2 drivers in a bidding war for his truck and it was because they wanted the engine.

Mike

Staff member
What about getting a ten grand wonder, yanking the emissions free engine, putting in some rebuild work and dropping that engine into your glider?
A driver that just retired had 2 drivers in a bidding war for his truck and it was because they wanted the engine.
Not sure why I would want to do all of this work, lol.

My truck is fine, it’s just me wanting to move into something that is California compliant, and set up better on the inside. I like running west, but when California is out of the equation, it becomes difficult to keep the rates up once you get somewhere like Arizona. By not running California, you effectively all but eliminate the entire west coast.

As it stands, I have a well functioning truck that I can run around the Midwest in, and maintain 7-8mpg, depending on how fast I feel like driving, all without having any aero upgrades on the trailer.

And since I will be keeping this truck for the time being, the Midwest it is.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter

My truck is fine, it’s just me wanting to move into something that is California compliant, and set up better on the inside. I like running west, but when California is out of the equation, it becomes difficult to keep the rates up once you get somewhere like Arizona. By not running California, you effectively all but eliminate the entire west coast.

As it stands, I have a well functioning truck that I can run around the Midwest in, and maintain 7-8mpg, depending on how fast I feel like driving, all without having any aero upgrades on the trailer.

Oh okay I understand now.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I really want a truck with the lounge in the sleeper, rather than the traditional sleeper. Having a table to sit down at to work, as well as sit down to cook and eat is very appealing at this point.
You are looking for a home on wheels truck.
What about a day cab? Then you can be home at night. Cheaper truck and the rates are sometimes better for the shorter hops.
If you run short on your 14 then get Notell for the night.

Last edited:

Mike

Staff member
You are looking for a home on wheels truck.
What about a day cab? Then you can be home at night. Cheaper truck and the rates are sometimes better for the shorter hops.
If run short on your 14 then get Notellfor the night.
Daycab wouldn't work to well for me around here, as I would definitely be spending nights on the road, and usually not in an area where a motel would likely be nearby

Oddly enough, if I do manage to shorten my operating area significantly over the next year or so, I may opt for one of the short nosed Cascadias and a smaller sleeper. Only if I shorten the operating area to where I am home every other day or so. The small sleeper would allow me to take a long load when necessary, shorter truck would be beneficial for short haul work.

r3gulator3

Professional mFinG Asshole-ee-0
Supporter

I run the west side without going to Cali. Steel tube to Oregon then up to a small town south of Tacoma for coils up to Spokane, pick up sheet and head back east. Or something to Spokane the snag lumber in Wa or Id also Az, NV, I would think you could do the same pulling a box without going to CA

Mike

Staff member
I run the west side without going to Cali. Steel tube to Oregon then up to a small town south of Tacoma for coils up to Spokane, pick up sheet and head back east. Or something to Spokane the snag lumber in Wa or Id also Az, NV, I would think you could do the same pulling a box without going to CA
I can get loads without a problem, but not at rates I am willing to run for. When running the spot market, sometimes the market dictates which direction you need to run.

Mike

Staff member
Nah... you eliminate Commiefornia. How is that a problem?
Rates going back east from somewhere like Arizona are not appealing at all. Too many people not going into California wanting the same thing. I have to get part of my backhaul on the front end in order to go that way, and that isn’t always easy, especially when capacity is where it’s currently at.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Rates going back east from somewhere like Arizona are not appealing at all. Too many people not going into California wanting the same thing. I have to get part of my backhaul on the front end in order to go that way, and that isn’t always easy, especially when capacity is where it’s currently at.
IMO, Commiefornia freight isn't worth it. The rates are below average, and the fuel is expensive. Getting in and out is a pain with the grades and traffic.

If you want to get in on some west coast action, try @Injun country.