DEF Issues

Titan951

Hello fellow truckers! I'm looking to purchase a 2014 Peterbilt 389 California car hauler. Looked at the truck and the owner said they deleted the DEF in the ECU because it causes problems. Should I have them put the DEF on before I buy. Any suggestions. This is my 1st truck.

Titan951

They said they deleted it from the ECU. He said he can put it back but the truck will have lots of problems. I checked around and was told if I get inspected without DEF they will impound my truck. But the dealer is saying i will be find. Im new to trucking so im not sure

r3gulator3

FLATBED GANGSTER
Supporter
They said they deleted it from the ECU. He said he can put it back but the truck will have lots of problems. I checked around and was told if I get inspected without DEF they will impound my truck. But the dealer is saying i will be find. Im new to trucking so im not sure
With out removing the parts your telling the ecm not to look for your gonna have problems.

If you drive in California or any emissions state and they decide to check the function you will face very very high fines.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Have fun running Cali and skipping scales. It’s doable but it’s a lot of work.

Probably not a question of “if” you get inspected but “when”

If they tuned the ECM properly to turn it off, you’re “probably” ok, if they physically removed the DEF parts that’s harder to hide

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Walk away from it. If they deleted it in the ECM, because of functioning problems then you really have major issues with that truck. and if this is your first truck it's the last thing you want or need.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
I went from a 2007 century with a deleted EGR 14L series 60 to a 2016 Volvo 730 with a D13 and ishift. I just brought it home today.

I would not recommend buying anything without the extended warranty and fully intact emissions.

If you can, find one with an apu.

You'll enjoy seeing where this spins into left field now.

IMG_20190916_104904912_HDR.jpg

@Ranger_375 got and identical truck to this about a month ago. He's already had to use the warranty we got with it. Even after getting stuff looked at.

If the dealer won't get you maintenance and warranty records, then find a new dealer.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I went from a 2007 century with a deleted EGR 14L series 60 to a 2016 Volvo 730 with a D13 and ishift. I just brought it home today.

I would not recommend buying anything without the extended warranty and fully intact emissions.

If you can, find one with an apu.

You'll enjoy seeing where this spins into left field now.

View attachment 52104

@Ranger_375 got and identical truck to this about a month ago. He's already had to use the warranty we got with it. Even after getting stuff looked at.

If the dealer won't get you maintenance and warranty records, then find a new dealer.
I have to agree with @mndriver - that truck will cause you nothing but headaches. If you have to restore the emissions to original spec, that will cost some big $$$.

Hanover Fist

Back on topic. If the emissions system has been bypassed or deleted, it is illegal for a dealer to sell the truck. As a first time buyer, you're not asking, you're begging for trouble with that truck...run away and don't look back.
As for restoring it back to road legal, we recently restored the emissions that had been deleted on a 2015 389...$13,000 later we had a sellable truck. You could expect to have that or more in it.
If you want a modern truck with a pre-emmissions engine, you're only option is a glider kit.
Unfortunately they aren't going to be made after this year by Paccar, and I'm hearing the same for Freightliner/WS. The used market is high right now for them, but they're out there (I have 2 on the lot).
Another option is a rebuilt pre-emissions truck. I would only go with a documented rebuild with warranty.
Good luck!