Dear House Haulers: You Do Not Own the Parking Lot

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
Why don't you call up your safety department and ask their opinion? I've been driving for a couple of minutes longer than you have, and this isn't the first time the subject has come up. I related the experience of one driver. That got it launched into company safety briefings, and ye olde carrier's legal department weighed in as well. You follow the directions of the cop: they have the law their side.

BTW, in post #4 you sounded pretty outraged that you might be asked to move.
Because I have tried this with other things and I get answers that aren’t answers. There has to be some black n white on it somewhere.

nan

Supporter
Yup. So you going to tell a cop that asked you to move so he can keep the oversize guy legal too, to FOAD? Good luck with that.

You're better off complying with the cop's request and worrying about the consequences later, than ignoring the cop and taking the chance that he's just going to blow it off. I'd say you've got zero chance of getting by with a cop walking away without enforcing his will. Chances are you can slow walk you're truck to someplace like the next space or the entrance ramp to the highway without triggering your ELD drive mode.
Keyword here being "his will" and not "the law."

A cop has no legal backing when it's just his will.

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
Because I have tried this with other things and I get answers that aren’t answers. There has to be some black n white on it somewhere.
Welcome to the regulatory state! Where safety can't give the real answers for liability reasons, and has to shovel pablum our way. Safety was part of my job for a while, I hated it.

Ontario Outlaw

Hozer Witta Hood
Supporter
Seriously. Just because you drive big freight, you do not own the parking lot. If somebody wants to park next to you and obviously knows what they're doing, don't lose your head. If somebody is doing something stupid, by all means, speak up. If not, leave 'em alone.
I agree big freight doesn’t own the parking lot, but big freight does need room to manoeuvre or wants room as a buffer to protect their load. (It doesn’t sound like you impeded their space, maybe their pride?)

If I pull in and take up two spots but I’m straddling the centre line of the two spots, don’t be a jackwagon and park RIGHT next to me, park in between the lines of the spots on either side of me please

USUALLY big freight knows where the old big gravel lots are and stays out of the busy ****holes. If I’m wide I don’t even think of attempting to stay in chain truck stops. It’s just not an option I choose to take.

I’ve dropped my trailer/banners/flags and bob tailed to get fuel before. The load was somewhere safe and I wasn’t interesting in wagging something 12’ wide or wider through the fuel island at a Flying Peelot where all kinds of shenanigans happen.

They probably thought they were cool having the whole house sitting there and then you parked in there and ruined their cool guy image :dunno:

Hammer166

Instigateur №166™
I agree big freight doesn’t own the parking lot, but big freight does need room to manoeuvre or wants room as a buffer to protect their load. (It doesn’t sound like you impeded their space, maybe their pride?)

If I pull in and take up two spots but I’m straddling the centre line of the two spots, don’t be a jackwagon and park RIGHT next to me, park in between the lines of the spots on either side of me please

USUALLY big freight knows where the old big gravel lots are and stays out of the busy ****holes. If I’m wide I don’t even think of attempting to stay in chain truck stops. It’s just not an option I choose to take.

I’ve dropped my trailer/banners/flags and bob tailed to get fuel before. The load was somewhere safe and I wasn’t interesting in wagging something 12’ wide or wider through the fuel island at a Flying Peelot where all kinds of shenanigans happen.

They probably thought they were cool having the whole house sitting there and then you parked in there and ruined their cool guy image :dunno:
Most toters park the two halves so close you can't even walk in between the halves. Room for a truck between says something about skill level, methinks.

Hillbilly Canuck

^^^^ This. Though I will say it's easier to find that place you won't bother anyone in Colorado or Alberta or North Dakota than some cramped cesspool like say Illinois or Michigan or New York.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Supporter
^^^^ This. Though I will say it's easier to find that place you won't bother anyone in Colorado or Alberta or North Dakota than some cramped cesspool like say Illinois or Michigan or New York.
Illinois? I never have a problem parking in Illinois. Colorado! No where to park.

Michael JT

I used to do heavy haul. Wide, long and tall. Several times I had idiots deliberately block me in knowing I would be leaving at sunrise and would have to wake them up to move. Sort of a personal alarm clock system.
I was never very cordial or polite when I pounded on their doors.

Mike

Staff member
I used to do heavy haul. Wide, long and tall. Several times I had idiots deliberately block me in knowing I would be leaving at sunrise and would have to wake them up to move. Sort of a personal alarm clock system.
It's not just the heavy hauls that idiots like to block in. Folks show up late at night at truck stops and will literally park anywhere. Have had to wake my share of them up as well just to get my dry van out.

nan

Supporter
I had to slide my tandems to get out of the TA in Breezewood and all I was doing was fuelling.

Shoulda just took the MFers hood mirrors off.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Situational awareness is trait that is severely lacking with most folks these days.

Latest posts