Cutting the cord

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Simon sex?:stare1:
Kramer from Seinfeld liked the CFL. I m going to try to watch the CFL this season, After baseball season ends of course:thumbsup:
Simon sex sez ya can grab their hoo he's, an' it don't matter. Ya right. Ain't 'sposed ta watch NFL, but there was a bunch 'o folks watchin' last night, an' I bet there will be tonight too!

Besides, da Donkey's done won yesterday!

:biggrin-2:

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
I still have not cut my cable even though this thread is 21 pages deep. I kept it because it is bundled with my internet.
I have to do a few experiment tomorrow, maybe. I want to see if I can get my news and the Jays baseball games via streaming. MLB subscription is expensive
If I can that would be perfect! I can cancel cable and keep the internet ( cable companies hate that)

Most of what I watch is via streaming anyway, like Netflix and I know of some APPS that have the shows I like.

Nomad1

the property bros are frauds.....

too many times, they don;t even inspect a house fully, then find so many things wrong that cost so much extra money. i used to watch them, but being the frauds that they are, i could care less thier show gets cancelled.

a PROPER home inspection IS ALWAYS REQUIRED before any bank lends you the money.....unless like in MY situation, i took over the family house.....then a "simple" outside inspection was only needed.

i doubt every homebuyer on the property bros, are taking over a family home...and the prices for real estate up in canada, are (i think) many times HIGHER that even the biggest home with LOTS of land would ever cost....even in Cali...!!!!..and They are outrageously priced homes..>!!!
My bank never requires a home inspection other than a termite letter. I have never once had a home inspection done. It is a total rip off. The peat control company can tell you most things you need to know. Other than that it's common sense. Does everything work? Does anything leak? I'll save my $500.

krelithous

Supporter
I still have not cut my cable even though this thread is 21 pages deep. I kept it because it is bundled with my internet.
I have to do a few experiment tomorrow, maybe. I want to see if I can get my news and the Jays baseball games via streaming. MLB subscription is expensive
If I can that would be perfect! I can cancel cable and keep the internet ( cable companies hate that)

Most of what I watch is via streaming anyway, like Netflix and I know of some APPS that have the shows I like.
Most people that cut the cord go back to a cable or satellite package

GAnthony

Supporter
My bank never requires a home inspection other than a termite letter. I have never once had a home inspection done. It is a total rip off. The peat control company can tell you most things you need to know. Other than that it's common sense. Does everything work? Does anything leak? I'll save my $500.
out here, it is mandatory before one gets a mortgage, that we pay the bank for a home inspection. they send out thier OWN inspector ($500 non-refundable). varies on the complexity of the mortgage, my house was family owned (by my family) so the inspector only did an outside inspection. but some inspections check the roof, electrical, plumbing,etc..

goes by state laws i guess..??

Nomad1

out here, it is mandatory before one gets a mortgage, that we pay the bank for a home inspection. they send out thier OWN inspector ($500 non-refundable). varies on the complexity of the mortgage, my house was family owned (by my family) so the inspector only did an outside inspection. but some inspections check the roof, electrical, plumbing,etc..

I do know some banks do require it. I have no idea what each states laws are on the matter. I recently learned that if you do a VA loan they will require it.

GAnthony

Supporter
I do know some banks do require it. I have no idea what each states laws are on the matter. I recently learned that if you do a VA loan they will require it.
well, i don't think the banks are gonna look at the application, see how much income is earned, the price of the house, and possible repairs needed, to bring up to code.

there are home equity loans, i know i got one right away, due to the already built up equity in my house. i think most times, a home equity loan is done much after the first year, when equity is actually built up?

but my main reason for saying "home inspections", was for the farce of that tv show, property brothers.

they "help" people buy homes, but they ALWAYS FIND something wrong, which a full inspection would have discovered...

then one either chops off the asking price (factoring in for the cost of repairs), or simply moves onto another home viewing..

i think property brothers "limits" how many homes a person "MUST BUY", from the contract they sign with the brothers.

just to be on a tv show, that is bullshit.....but people wanna be a "star".....

dchawk81

Definitely state-by-state. My home inspections weren't required either. They do require us to pay for an appraisal though.

GAnthony

Supporter
Definitely state-by-state. My home inspections weren't required either. They do require us to pay for an appraisal though.
i actually had to pay for that as well....i cannot recall the exact price though, but under $500.

the banks just do not want to get caught with foreclosures and have to own the houses.

i also had to provide the home insurance company with the inspection report, or otherwise, would have had to pay for another one with them....

this could all also be, that my house is in a historic district and over 150 years old.>???

i dunno, i just know what i went through.

dchawk81

i actually had to pay for that as well....i cannot recall the exact price though, but under $500.

the banks just do not want to get caught with foreclosures and have to own the houses.

i also had to provide the home insurance company with the inspection report, or otherwise, would have had to pay for another one with them....

this could all also be, that my house is in a historic district and over 150 years old.>???

i dunno, i just know what i went through.
Yeah I skipped the inspection on the one I ended up buying and used the appraisal instead. I figured if it wasn't worth what they were asking, they'd have to say why and I wouldn't want it anyway even if I could get it.

Plus I learned about inspections and how half assed they really are based on the one I had done. Hell my own analysis was more in depth on the first visits.

GAnthony

Supporter
Yeah I skipped the inspection on the one I ended up buying and used the appraisal instead. I figured if it wasn't worth what they were asking, they'd have to say why and I wouldn't want it anyway even if I could get it.

Plus I learned about inspections and how half assed they really are based on the one I had done. Hell my own analysis was more in depth on the first visits.
and that "in depth" inspection by you, is NOT what those fools on property brothers do.

way too many times, they'd find problems with the foundation, support/load bearing walls, and that costs the new home owners hundreds if not thousands more.

which is why that show is fake.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
My first test went very well, Very well indeed! I can stream and cast Toronto Blue Jays Baseball and it is in High Definition.
I failed to do the next test and that is to see if I can pull in my morning news show via antenna. If that works then the box is going back and I cut the cord.
I only watch the news and baseball on cable and the rest I stream, Mostly Netflix. They have enough content that I can't watch it all and hold a full time job.

krelithous

Supporter

i don't know why people call it cutting the cord when there bound to a provider one way or the other!!! the only way to cut the cord is pure OTA is really cutting the cord. i would call it cord shaving

krelithous

Supporter
My first test went very well, Very well indeed! I can stream and cast Toronto Blue Jays Baseball and it is in High Definition.
I failed to do the next test and that is to see if I can pull in my morning news show via antenna. If that works then the box is going back and I cut the cord.
I only watch the news and baseball on cable and the rest I stream, Mostly Netflix. They have enough content that I can't watch it all and hold a full time job.
if you can't pick up your local news via antenna then your station might have an app you can download and watch your local news that way for a few bucks a month. hopefully your streaming device is roku's since they the most apps