Cutting the cord

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Thread starter #1
This weekend my cable box goes back to the cable company and my cable will be canx.
Cable is way too expensive for the content. I am told it is the same for satellite.

I have Netflicks and now Cravetv streaming services. They offer the content I am interested in and on demand when ever I want, All commercial free and all for the low, low price of $8.oo a month each.
So much content and adding new stuff all the time, i am sure I will never view it all.

There is a whole movement out there, you can google cutting the cord.

With a Digital signal available free with a good antenna. I can still get local news or even get that online.

Millennials have never subscribed to a cable service. I thought I was cool as a GenXer never having had a land line.

Anyone else made the move to cut the cord?

Last edited by a moderator:

GAnthony

Supporter
the only cord "i cut" was the satellite cord. i went FiOS and love it. cheaper than cable, and since last october when i got it...?? not once has any cable guy have to come here and fix something, unlike my sis and her hubby's cable company.

no, it is not cutting the cord, as you say, but don't kid yourself, sooner or later, everything jumps in price, due to popularity and increased members/customers.enjoy those low prices now, if there is too much to watch as you say, cut backs can be made very easily as well by them. happens with everything, sooner or later, like cable, then satellite, for certain FiOS

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Thread starter #3
the only cord "i cut" was the satellite cord. i went FiOS and love it. cheaper than cable, and since last october when i got it...?? not once has any cable guy have to come here and fix something, unlike my sis and her hubby's cable company.

no, it is not cutting the cord, as you say, but don't kid yourself, sooner or later, everything jumps in price, due to popularity and increased members/customers.enjoy those low prices now, if there is too much to watch as you say, cut backs can be made very easily as well by them. happens with everything, sooner or later, like cable, then satellite, for certain FiOS
Then we move from Netfilcks to Nextflicks:D

krelithous

Supporter
This weekend my cable box goes back to the cable company and my cable will be canx.
Cable is way too expensive for the content. I am told it is the same for satellite.

I have Netflicks and now Cravetv streaming services. They offer the content I am interested in and on demand when ever I want, All commercial free and all for the low, low price of $8.oo a month each.
So much content and adding new stuff all the time, i am sure I will never view it all.

There is a whole movement out there, you can google cutting the cord.

With a Digital signal available free with a good antenna. I can still get local news or even get that online.

Millennials have never subscribed to a cable service. Is thought I was cool as a GenXer never having had a land line.

Anyone else made the move to cut the cord?
This is the way of the future!! everything will be available online and there will be no satellite companies and no cable companies will maybe just to provide the internets

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Thread starter #5
This is the way of the future!! everything will be available online and there will be no satellite companies and no cable companies will maybe just to provide the internets
Yes the internets and interwebs so we can get on the Youtubes:thumbsup::D

GAnthony

Supporter
Then we move from Netfilcks to Nextflicks:D
if prices mean that much to you, then shop around for sure, but everything jumps in prices, services can be of lesser value. i had a great satellite package, but i was "grand fathered in". if i wanted a different package of wanted HD, then everything changed, so i kept my old system. what got me off satellite was the constant black outs during storms, and if snow was up on my roof, where the dish was, i'd have no satellite for days....

GAnthony

Supporter
true, but i see a huge jump in "basic internet prices", since that's the only bread and butter they will have. they ain't gonna give away internet.

krelithous

Supporter
true, but i see a huge jump in "basic internet prices", since that's the only bread and butter they will have. they ain't gonna give away internet.
and i agree once there video service starts declining i can bet you they will gouge us on the internet rates to make up for the lost profits

krelithous

Supporter
hell even if we order channels alacarte they would still gouge us

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Cut that cord as you call it back in 2007.

GAnthony

Supporter
that is correct. if purchased enough during a month, it'll add up to more than a monthly subscription to it. same as pay per view...i just do not do it, i can wait till it comes on one of the movie channels i get.

dchawk81

I've cut every cord I possibly can.

All that's left is internet, and cell. I get entertainment via Amazon Prime and to a lesser extent rabbit ears on the TV.

I live so cheaply it's ridiculous. Except my cars and car parts. I'm stupid there.

GAnthony

Supporter
ok...now Comcast is "gonna git" many.......and so it goes..

Comcast adds Chicago customers to those under data caps

"Data limits, which are already common with cellphone plans, have drawn complaints from customers and some public-interest groups because they can make it more expensive to watch Netflix and other streaming video services that compete with cable."

dchawk81

They tried to do that here and it didn't fly. Don't know if they'll try again though. If they do, they'll get dropped.

krelithous

Supporter
They tried to do that here and it didn't fly. Don't know if they'll try again though. If they do, they'll get dropped.
i know that comcrap raised the cap from 300 GB a laugh to a terabyte. but still i pay for high speed internets and not bandwith caps

krelithous

Supporter
ok...now Comcast is "gonna git" many.......and so it goes..

"Data limits, which are already common with cellphone plans, have drawn complaints from customers and some public-interest groups because they can make it more expensive to watch Netflix and other streaming video services that compete with cable."

one more reason i would never live in a comcrap area or subscribe to there ****ty service

GAnthony

Supporter
one more reason i would never live in a comcrap area or subscribe to there ****ty service
true as that may be, however many other cable companies and satellite and soon FiOS will follow. when one does it, they all do it. there is no escape.

unless one tries to escape from...

dchawk81

I'll just cancel it too and go back to using my phone for everything. It has unlimited data as well.

krelithous

Supporter
I'll just cancel it too and go back to using my phone for everything. It has unlimited data as well.
is tethering included id'e carefully read the TOS