Congress Should Keep America Trucking With Twin 33s

Mike

Staff member
Need dog food? Or maybe baby formula, diapers and toilet paper in bulk? These days, simply click and your order is processed, shipped and delivered to your front door. Amazon Prime and other subscription delivery services have revolutionized how Americans buy things.

But there’s a problem.

Recently you might have noticed prices on those items ticking up, or delays in getting shipments. You also may have noticed the price of an Amazon Prime subscription recently increased by $20. Why? America’s freight trucking industry is having a hard time keeping up with all that demand.

Fortunately, Congress can do something to help alleviate this problem, with no cost to taxpayers. The fix Congress is considering would allow certain truck drivers and businesses to haul twin trailers that are 5-feet longer than the 28-foot trailers currently allowed under a 35-year-old federal restriction. These new shipping-only trailers would be called Twin 33s, because each trailer would be 33-feet long.

This incremental increase would help would cut highway congestion, cut fuel consumption, help with driver fatigue and alleviate higher prices.

http://www.insidesources.com/congress-keep-america-trucking-twin-33s/

Mike

Staff member
help with driver fatigue
I'm really curious how pulling doubles that are an extra 10 feet in overall length is going to help with driver fatigue. It's really comical how crap like this is sold to the general public.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
A good portion of those clowns can barely handle a pair of 28's. Lets make 'em heavier, and give 'em some real ammo to do damage with!

:thumbsup:

Duck

Quack
Supporter
A good portion of those clowns can barely handle a pair of 28's. Lets make 'em heavier, and give 'em some real ammo to do damage with!

:thumbsup:
Aw hell, let's just legalize triples in all states, everywhere, no restrictions. :thumbsup:

Duck

Quack
Supporter
We run double 53’s up here

Not sure what the fuss is over double 33’s
Mainly because the guy pulling twin 53's is not getting paid twice as much as the guy pulling a single 53. If you pull two at a time you should get paid for pulling two at a time.

That, and the truck stops are already full all the time.

Mainly because the guy pulling twin 53's is not getting paid twice as much as the guy pulling a single 53. If you pull two at a time you should get paid for pulling two at a time.

That, and the truck stops are already full all the time.
It’s ignorant when they close the highways the guys pulling double 53’s have to park on the shoulder or before the road closure, they can’t just get off and detour like the rest of us

It’d be funny to see a double 53’ skateboard. Like a b-train on ‘roids

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Spend some time on the NY Thruway you will see a few.
See 'em out in UT, ID, etc too. But then, they're driven by professionals... not by idjits who endanger other drivers by pulling BS moves because they're playing Smokey and the Bandit in a big rig.

Last edited:

Duck

Quack
Supporter
It’d be funny to see a double 53’ skateboard. Like a b-train on ‘roids
Falcon pulls twin 53 flatbeds on the Ohio turnpike. Usually hauling coils.

I've seen em pull a dry van in the front & flatbed in the rear before too.

Falcon pulls twin 53 flatbeds on the Ohio turnpike. Usually hauling coils.

I've seen em pull a dry van in the front & flatbed in the rear before too.
I didn’t know that. But I also don’t run the turnpike in OH

Cool

Sinister

Order of The Gilded Flip Flop
Staff member
Supporter
Spend some time on the NY Thruway you will see a few.

Those are 48’ doubles. They don’t allow twin 53’.

Walmart still has a ton of 48s. Every now and then one creeps into the Midwest. That have a giant sticker that says RETURN TO DC XXXX, Marcy NY.

And NO I don’t have the DC number memorized.

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
We run double 53’s up here

Not sure what the fuss is over double 33’s
Yeah, the real interesting thing about that is Only the OTA. Ontario Trucking Association ( ATA for me American amigos) can qualify a driver for LCV's.(long combination vehicles or turnpike doubles) A driver can not carry that qualification over to another company. They have to re-qualify with the OTA.
OTA made damn sure when LCV's were made legal they would get some money out of it.

Duck

Quack
Supporter
Yeah, the real interesting thing about that is Only the OTA. Ontario Trucking Association ( ATA for me American amigos) can qualify a driver for LCV's.(long combination vehicles or turnpike doubles) A driver can not carry that qualification over to another company. They have to re-qualify with the OTA.
OTA made damn sure when LCV's were made legal they would get some money out of it.
I have no idea why NGOs are allowed to have regulatory and licensing power and why we can't just laugh in their faces and ignore them.

Latest posts