Collision Warning

TheJrod

Brand new 2017 Freightliner Cascadia, 45,000 miles loaded with electronics:

Last night three times at highway speed:

COLLISION WARNING.......BRAKES SLAMMED ON AUTOMATICALLY.
HUH? WTF? ROAD IS CLEAR

COLLISION WARNING.......BRAKES SLAMMED ON AUTOMATICALLY HARDER THIS TIME
HUH? WTF? ROAD IS CLEAR!

COLLISION WARNING....BRAKES SLAMMED ON AUTOMATICALLY MUCH HARDER THIS TIME SLOWING ME DOWN TO MUCH LESS THAN HIGHWAY SPEED
HUH? WTF? ROAD IS CLEAR!!

And I'm driving fuel tanker doubles..... God have mercy on me.

Reminds of me of Boeing and their 737 Max aircraft where the electronics overruled the pilot and too many people were killed.

:mad:
This is bizarre. These stories usually have a "My Cousin's Friend's barber's mother-in-law was almost killed because the brakes locked up at highway speeds..."
But you say this happened to you?

I have 75 Freightliners, with that same system, and in 3 yearsr, not a single instance of that happening. We are talking about almost 25 million miles without a single one of these instances.

If I choose to believe you, (and why wouldn't I?) maybe the radar/laser system needs to be calibrated. It's either blocked/dirty/broken or been tampered with...

But my gut says... you're just a driver who hates the system.

Which one is closer to the truth?

Again, I have 25 Million miles of data- not just my personal anecdotal experience.
We do service them as recommended scheduling says, but again, we've not had a single instance of the truck locking up for no reason. 2018, 2019 and 2020 models.

We had someone CLAIM it happened once, but we also have dashcams...
(driver switched lanes and was way too close to the truck in front of them. The system did slow him down, but even then, it never "slammed" on the brakes)

These stories are the most Urban Legend thing in trucking today.

Any lawsuits about death and dismemberment using that system yet? What does that tell you?

Nomad1

Forum
Supporter
This is bizarre. These stories usually have a "My Cousin's Friend's barber's mother-in-law was almost killed because the brakes locked up at highway speeds..."

I have 75 Freightliners, with that same system, and in 3 yearsr, not a single instance of that happening. We are talking about almost 25 million miles without a single one of these instances.

If I choose to believe you, (and why wouldn't I?) maybe the radar/laser system needs to be calibrated. It's either blocked/dirty/broken or been tampered with...

Again, I have 25 Million miles of data- not just my personal anecdotal experience.
We do service them as recommended scheduling says, but again, we've not had a single instance of the truck locking up for no reason. 2018, 2019 and 2020 models.

(driver switched lanes and was way too close to the truck in front of them. The system did slow him down, but even then, it never "slammed" on the brakes)

Any lawsuits about death and dismemberment using that system yet? What does that tell you?
It's his story he can tell it anyway he wants to.

r3gulator3

IMA KEEP IT REDNECK

Ask anyone at TMC. 2500 trucks since 2013 with the system installed all do it. So 2500x6yearsx150k miles per year says, your full of it.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
The problem is that the manufacturers, insurance companies and/or the federal government is taking away our ability to drive trucks as we see fit. Computers should not be taking away our control...PERIOD.
"The manufacturers, insurance companies and/or the federal government" are doing nothing of the sort. You can order a truck without any of this equipment - none of it is mandated by the government, choose to forego lower rates by insurance, or if buying used equipment, have it deactivated.

None of the technology takes away your control. It only activates when your driving is well outside of where its safe to operate.

Nomad1

Forum
Supporter
"The manufacturers, insurance companies and/or the federal government" are doing nothing of the sort. You can order a truck without any of this equipment - none of it is mandated by the government, choose to forego lower rates by insurance, or if buying used equipment, have it deactivated.

None of the technology takes away your control. It only activates when your driving is well outside of where its safe to operate.
It amazes me how many so called professional drivers tailgate. They think it is safe and that they could actually stop in time to avoid a collision.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
The problem is that the manufacturers, insurance companies and/or the federal government is taking away our ability to drive trucks as we see fit. Computers should not be taking away our control...PERIOD.
The problem is too many NON drivers think they know better and get other NON drivers to agree with them that technology IS the answer. When the problem that is the NON driver to begin with.

Electric Chicken

Supporter

I'm just a driver who hates the system because it's faulty.

Just like I won't let a Tesla drive me to work because I don't want to be decapitated.

Amazon can't even get its robots to function perfectly in a closed environment.

Electronics can and do fail. Kind of a lot.

Michael JT

Nothing to do with antenna alignment. You notice I said it was in a curve?

Sinister

Supermodel
Staff member
Supporter
Go back to page three and read my post of what Walmart did with this.

It doesn’t slam us into the seat belts anymore.

Electric Chicken

Supporter
And you'd be wrong... unless you were so damn close a collision was imminent.
Well you are. That's why it's freaking out. Except it's looking at things you're not ACTUALLY going to hit. That overpass is within like 150 feet but it's also 14 feet above you.

Those signs on the curve are 80 feet away but you're turning the wheel to get away from them...because it's a curve.

So yeah you're close but unless your fuel tank is full of red bull and the truck grows wings or you let go of the wheel, you're not gonna hit that stuff.

Injun

Rabid Squaw
Staff member
Supporter

I had this disaster of a system in a 2009 Cascadia. The things Papadough described were common occurrences. The radar would see bugs, shadows from bridges, reflections from signs and phantom radio signals from who knows what.

The 2015 Pete 579 I had, the system was integrated into the ECM and programmed to alert in the dash display. There was a specific spot on a highway I traveled daily that would cause the system to activate. I finally narrowed it down to one of those super bright LED signs the business uses.

In both trucks, the brakes were not slammed unless cruise was on, as Reg described.

That's my experience.

I'm a little skeptical about your claim of having zillions of miles with these things and never an issue. Is that maybe because your drivers are afraid to tell you about it because you'll fire them for complaining? Or because their experience with reporting defects on trucks is that you don't care to fix things until something really breaks, takes out more components and puts the truck out of service, so they don't bother?

Electric Chicken

Supporter
I'm a little skeptical about your claim of having zillions of miles with these things and never an issue. Is that maybe because your drivers are afraid to tell you about it because you'll fire them for complaining? Or because their experience with reporting defects on trucks is that you don't care to fix things until something really breaks, takes out more components and puts the truck out of service, so they don't bother?
Yeah sounds like my DBLs. All drivers are liars, computer is always right, and even with physical evidence and a forewarning then a wreck they still don't see the error in their ways.

So as one driver so eloquently put it: "f*ck 'em"

Head down, CYA, leave when the timing is right.

PapaDough

Truck 899601 Ryder Rental.
Drive it.
Then fix it.

Trucker186

This machine just called me an asshole !!! Lmao that movie was made so poorly but was still good and had one of the best soundtracks ever.