Clarify 10 hour break after 11 Hour Driving Rule

Tech

Hey guys, I am a tech that is setting things up for our company's transition to ELD, I don't have much knowledge of trucking regulations so I just wanted to clarify something.
Based on what I've read I know that a trucker can only drive 11hrs within a 14hr On-Duty window, then they have to take a 10hr break, but the way it's worded it seems that taking a 10 hour break resets your 14 hours, but I just want to clarify if that means if a driver drives 11 hours straigtht(Break included) then takes a 10hr break he can start driving again despite starting his break during the 14 hour window.
So a driver could drive 11hrs, break for 10hrs, then drive 11hrs again, back to back?
And what if he drives 3 hours, then takes a 10 hour break, does that mean he can drive again despite being in that 14 hr window? or does the 14 hour window reset?

Rigjockey

In Gord we trust!
Supporter
Hey guys, I am a tech that is setting things up for our company's transition to ELD, I don't have much knowledge of trucking regulations so I just wanted to clarify something.
Based on what I've read I know that a trucker can only drive 11hrs within a 14hr On-Duty window, then they have to take a 10hr break, but the way it's worded it seems that taking a 10 hour break resets your 14 hours, but I just want to clarify if that means if a driver drives 11 hours straigtht(Break included) then takes a 10hr break he can start driving again despite starting his break during the 14 hour window.
So a driver could drive 11hrs, break for 10hrs, then drive 11hrs again, back to back?
And what if he drives 3 hours, then takes a 10 hour break, does that mean he can drive again despite being in that 14 hr window? or does the 14 hour window reset?
Absolutely! The 10 hour break resets the driver to drive 11 hours. So if you drive 3 hours and take 10 hours off you can drive for 11 after the ten hour break.
Or if you max out your 11 hours driving and take a ten hour break, you can drive for 11 more hours.
The 14 hours is only a window of when you need to be off the road.

Tech

Thank you very much, I assumed this was how it was, but I wanted to be sure before I told my boss anything concrete, Thanks again :)