Cell Service

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I know there's a stretch in the canyon between Belgrade and west Yellowstone that service doesn't exist.

Just remote spots.
It's a canyon... ya need near line of sight to the tower to get reception.

Like, OMG! I know, right:biggrin-2:.
It must be the gravitation pull from Toronto being the center of the universe!:p:biglaugh:
No. Wrong. No chicken dinner.

Toronto is like the outhouse at an Insane Clown Posse concert in the summer. You go there if you HAVE to, but you get in and out fast and don't enjoy being there. And it's a breath of fresh air when you aren't there
:poo2:

dchawk81

Cell service is basically a digital protocol overlaid on an analog radio channel that is a little better than direct line-of-sight. Get beyond the maximum signal range of all the towers... you drop a call. Get in the RF shadow of a terrain feature - you drop a call.

Verizon had a head start on everyone. They were a back east baby bell, part of the detritus of the antitrust case that broke up the "phone company," the AT&T Bell System. Verizon bought Airstream, a nationwide analog cell company, adopted the CDMA digital cell technology early on, and pumped huge wads of cash into it.

Sprint started in SoCal, a spin off from the Southern Pacific RR using their proprietary cell communications system, and became an "along the interstate" cell outfit. They expanded over the years to compete nationwide with Verizon.

AT&T was an original entrant in cell technology, and chose to retain that from the antitrust case. The technology was archaic enough that it didn't cross well into CDMA digital technology, so they sold off their system (Sprint acquired a lot of the cell towers) and got out of cell phones. A couple of years later, they bought Cingular, an east of the Mississippi digital cell company, and renamed it AT&T Cellular. They've been playing catch-up ever since.
🤓

krelithous

Supporter

don't get there wifi booster get the radio labs version it's cheaper and more powerful than the weboost for those that want to boos up wifi signals

Ranger_375

I picked up a Weboost. It's still not perfect, as I sorta rednecked it up.

My interior antenna is on the front of the passenger cabinet, my exterior magnetic antenna is on a vice-grip held piece of sheet metal off my headache rack, sitting well above the fiberglass/steel line on the cab/sleeper. I still have resonance issues (The weboost is a same-freqs repeater, if the antennas are too close it will lower power or kill power to bands that have too high of feedback) on one band, but reception is obviously improved. There are still dead spots, but they are happening more rarely.

I intend to add a piece of sheet metal and install the high-gain Truck antenna up on the Qualcomm sat antenna mount at the back of the cab. That will both extend the distance between the interior and exterior antenna, put the antenna up at the 13' mark, and provide a better ground plane than my current solution.

Of course, I also intend on eventually fabricating a directional wifi antenna on an electric actuator that will elevate above the truck then continue elevating another foot while rotating 360 degrees to be able to aim it, while tying in the down antenna to the parking brake electrical circuit so when I release my brakes, it automatically will retract below the line of the roof. That'll fill in more internet duties than hotspotting. I also have a touchscreen coming that I'll interface my Note8 with using my DeX, letting me have a 15" screen on the dash to manage logs, navigation, and phone calls as necessary. HDMI splitter and a larger monitor in back mean it will end up taking on basically all A/V duties on the truck plus basic internet purposes. Still will have the laptop on the truck for when I have extended break time on the road, to play games with the kid/wife and do any heavy IT lifting.

Ranger_375

Picked up the OTR antennna off Amazon. Same exact unit Weboost sells. Half the price. My passenger mirror already has my sat radio external antenna, 2m/70cm ham antenna, then stock CB antenna... so I drilled 4 holes in the top tarp shelf lip on my headache rack and mounted it there. Was going to put it on the Qualcomm antenna bracket, but it's a 18" tall antenna from the base... which would have made it taller than 13'6". Putting it on the rack put it higher than it would have been on the mirror, and also puts it further away from the interior antenna for better performance. It already proves it's worth by negating the few known dead spots in my local area where otherwise you are guaranteed a call drop. I was able to talk continually to the wife coming up Donner today with no dead spots... I would say it's working and working well.

Ok so dumb question. My phone will pick up AT&T, Telus, Commnet, Indigo, 311040, Apache, CellularOne....everything but Verizon.

Anyone know why? I have roaming turned on, I can switch from manual to auto to select carriers, if I kick it to manual Verizon is never on the list.

r3gulator3

Friendly Neighborhood Former Technician
Staff member
Supporter
For example I was down in Texas running with my son. He has AT&T I have Verizon. He would have full-service and I would have no service. Then I had extended , And he would have full-service. Then when he would lose service I would have full-service. Just one of them weird things

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
Depends on the network, and where the cell tower are. These things are just overglorified UHF radios with digital voice service overlaid on the carrier.

@Skateboard puller has a carrier that doesn't have a roaming agreement with Verizon. They aren't selfish pricks... well, maybe they are. It's more that his carrier are a bunch of cheap bastards.

krelithous

Supporter
Ok so dumb question. My phone will pick up AT&T, Telus, Commnet, Indigo, 311040, Apache, CellularOne....everything but Verizon.

Anyone know why? I have roaming turned on, I can switch from manual to auto to select carriers, if I kick it to manual Verizon is never on the list.
your carrier is more than likely GSM as AT&T is GSM as well as t-mobile down here verizon and sprint are CDMA. another reason i never buy a phone from the carrier there locked to that carrier i always buy unlocked phones then you can just swap out sim cards when you come down here you can sign up for verizon and pop there sim card in the phone and it will pick up verizon service. you just have to make sure the phone has all of the radio bands in it for the carriers you want to use it with

Last edited: