New To Trucking Cell phone plans and coverage

Electric Chicken

Jock
Supporter
This is a little off topic, but do you guys use your phones for calling much while working? I can see using it for directions and that, but not much more. I'd rather not talk on the phone if I can text or use the internet, and I bet there a lot of others out there like me.
I use my phone for everything. We have a bunch of resources available to us that didn't exist a few years ago.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
This is a little off topic, but do you guys use your phones for calling much while working? I can see using it for directions and that, but not much more. I'd rather not talk on the phone if I can text or use the internet, and I bet there a lot of others out there like me.
Yes, you'll need e phone to talk on. Not all communications in trucking are text based: at Prime we were required to make a voice status call after loading - text was not accepted for this. At times I've needed to call a road service truck to guide him to my location - having a carrier with a comprehensive net is required since many times you need voice capability in Timbuktu.

At 5 months from now, you'll be close to the end of your training cycle. You could probably wait to switch until then. Verizon is the best in my opinion.

ironpony

Professional Pot-Stirrer
Supporter
I use trucker path, the pilot app, the TA app, google earth, google street view, and my company’s app.
There's the Pilot app if you park there. You'll need to include the weather forecast app of your choice as well.

r3gulator3

Eurotruck race enthusiast
Supporter
There's the Pilot app if you park there. You'll need to include the weather forecast app of your choice as well.
Yeah pilot and TA you can use to reserve parking. I just use the weather channel app that came on my phone.

braylean

Actually for the phone internet, Verizon's unlimited is now 50gb and you only get throttled if the towers are congested. The hotspot limit still sucks at 15 gb though.

mndriver

curmudgeon extraordinare
Supporter
Actually for the phone internet, Verizon's unlimited is now 50gb and you only get throttled if the towers are congested. The hotspot limit still sucks at 15 gb though.
Never have an issue with either

But then again, I rarely watch movies. I'm always sleeping during my down time. I reserve the movies for hometime with the family

quillcom

Are there any downloads that make the job easier?
AccuWeather, hands down.

right next to my Google maps on my home screen along with GPS Test that tells you a host of things not the least of which it will let you know the signal strength of your gps in any particular area (how many satellites
your gps is connected to) and a plethora of other goodies.

Verizon, get it now.

Check out the coverage maps of att vs verizon or the others, this might help you in your decision.

Though I'm local I had boost and T-local (also known as T-Mobil lol) both sucked got me nervous with
the dreaded "gps signal lost" when most needed 'em.

Last edited:

braylean

Never have an issue with either

But then again, I rarely watch movies. I'm always sleeping during my down time. I reserve the movies for hometime with the family
My wife is a full time Rider, so aside from my grown boys, the family is with me, lol. I tote a refrigerator on my back so occasionally I have long wait times the, not too often but it does come with the territory and I try not to roll hours for to Long because I've found I get burnt out if I do, especially if there is a lot of day and night driving switching back and forth. So we do watch movies, TV or I play video games during 34 hour breaks when I'm not polishing or working on the truck. I am otr and stay out usually a minimum of 6 weeks at a time, during the spring to fall I'm out a couple of times for 3 months. That's why I have entertainment in the truck. Not because I'm a truck stop junky, just to be clear, lol. We do stay at a motel occasionally, but mostly the truck is home.

krelithous

Supporter
really you can up your plan to where you get 75 GB of data and that puts you first in line to connect to the interwebs without being throttled unless you go over the 75 GBs along with a 30 GB mobile hotspot option wich is seperate from the data on your phone

krelithous

Supporter

pick your flavor
and if you can get it while your out and about there is NO throttling when your using 5G service;) unlike the other three

Last edited:

tommyh

Verizon is the answer for me
truckers path app,a few truck stop apps
and a cat scale app
google maps
flashlight app comes in handy sometimes

I use those most